Eric Loves Rey

Renfield | April 14, 2023 | Universal | Nicolas Hoult stars | About Dracula's henchman | NICOLAS CAGE IS DRACULA

On 4/13/2023 at 11:35 AM, PrinceRico said:

This is just like Fright Night. A R rated Vampire Horror/comedy that got decent reviews but nobody wanted to see.

I agree with the part about there not really being an audience for either... I'd say Fright Night was a good deal better though. Renfield has it's moments. Some of the character moments hit and some of the action beats work well enough but it's pretty forgettable. I don't expect word of mouth be anything other than middling with the few that did go out to see it. It's nothing terrible but it's nothing special.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:46 AM, Krissykins said:

Variety confirmed the $65m budget. Wonder why they spent so much on this, seems risky. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-super-mario-bros-movie-nicolas-cage-renfield-projections-1235579707/

IN terms of general film budgets that is a low budget film for nowdays, but in terms of a horror movie budget it's huge.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

IN terms of general film budgets that is a low budget film for nowdays, but in terms of a horror movie budget it's huge.

For the kind of film it is, it’s huge. Even compared to this years releases alone, it’s basically double. 

Scream 6: $33m

Evil Dead Rise: $15m

The Pope’s Exorcist: $18m

M3GAN: $12m

Cocaine Bear: $30-35m

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 3:16 AM, Krissykins said:

For the kind of film it is, it’s huge. Even compared to this years releases alone, it’s basically double. 

Scream 6: $33m

Evil Dead Rise: $15m

The Pope’s Exorcist: $18m

M3GAN: $12m

Cocaine Bear: $30-35m

Nick Cage was paid $30m for sure.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:22 PM, tonytr87 said:

It's interesting to me how horror comedies always fail at the box office. I guess audiences either want to be scared or they want to laugh. But not both. 

Ghostbusters Reboot says Hi!

Of course I think that the ultimate Horror comedy was made in 1976 by Mel Brooks with "Young Frankenstein"...

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Ghostbusters Reboot says Hi!

Of course I think that the ultimate Horror comedy was made in 1976 by Mel Brooks with "Young Frankenstein"...

Ghostbusters is closer to science fiction than horror, particularly the reboot.