Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I NEVER SAID IT WAS OPENING TO $40M!!! I’ve been clear about my $75M-$95M OW prediction for about two months. As someone who thought the Flash was going to blow past $100M, a CBM underperforming big time just wouldn’t shock me anymore. 

Too late r/boxoffice found this.

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Because one person mentioned it as a possibility I know who in here is gonna be like "You all said it was gonna open to $40 million!" and act like it's a win no matter what happens opening weekend.

Well then don't say stupid shit.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

That was the empire city move. to take the absolute lowest number someone mentioned and be like "all of you morons thought it was gonna open to this. Only I the absolute genius thought it would open higher and I was right". Have noticed multiple here adopting this one when it suits them.

• Like 3

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

That was the empire city move. to take the absolute lowest number someone mentioned and be like "all of you morons thought it was gonna open to this. Only I the absolute genius thought it would open higher and I was right". Have noticed multiple here adopting this one when it suits them.

Who?

Moderation

Okay, we're done here. A lot of you are desperately twisting FlatLannister's words around, he has specifically stated he thinks 40M is only a tiny, miniscule chance, and it isn't funny anymore. Continue this conversation further and you will see a threadban.

46 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I don't see how $40m can happen given the MCU fanbase. The only way I could see that happening is if they release reviews early and they are Quantumania tier, but I don't think reviews will be anywhere near that bad.

A more realistic low-tier would be Black Adam range, so in the $60m-$70m range. If reviews and WOM are good I see $80m-$90m.

Exactly. I don't know if some fans go overboard with lowballing to claim incredible overperformance later or are just joking but it's mathematically improbable to lose that many fans in such a short time since both QM and Vol 3 opened with over 100M. I think it's fair to expect that kind of opening for TM. 

• Like 1

$80M OW predictions sound bad and seem like an implicit vindication of stronger versions of Endgame hype hypothesis. People really aren't expecting stuff above "baseline for good, non breakout MCU origin story?"  

We'll see if people still say that in a day or two but I don't see a way to spin the lower range of numbers people are floating. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

9 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

$80M OW predictions sound bad and seem like an implicit vindication of stronger versions of Endgame hype hypothesis. People really aren't expecting stuff above "baseline for good, non breakout MCU origin story?"  

We'll see if people still say that in a day or two but I don't see a way to spin the lower range of numbers people are floating. 

I think there's some of that in these predictions, but a lot of what I gather from this thread is that people really got burned by MCU  with Quantumania and somehow see Captain Marvel 2 as a similar deal while they saw GOG3 as its own thing, kinda? That's the vibe I'm getting anyway.

The only way I see it getting numbers as low as that are if reviews and WOM vindicates people who think this will have similar quality to Quantumania.

I just can't imagine The Marvels opening with less than 100M. It's not that I think every Marvel movie will do that, I just expect this particular film to. Do I think it opens with 153.4M like the first film? Heck, no but 100-110M opening weekend? Sure. The total depends on word of mouth. I'm thinking like 110M with a 250-300M finish.

• Like 3