Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Yeah, the myth of under-promotion. There are movies that were dumped but this is not one of them. Not to mention that quite a few in this thread celebrated when DUNC II moved cause they expected that PLF gain would prop The Marvels. 

There are many spots and posters and that ridiculous crash course in where the fuck the Not CM Marvels came from and what they did and that ridiculous Remember Endgame and Avengers promo and cute kittens promo so the movie definitely isn't without expensive marketing push. Just because it isn't working it doesn't mean it isn't there. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

I don't know if it actually needs to be said, but the Flash was actually a really great superhero movie that the public and critics alike dismissed because the lead actor was/is a menace to society. Back in the hay day(6 months ago). I don't know if you actually remember, but It was actually advertised as this epic / one of the best superhero movie ever.

56 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

not really great to me, the second half isnt that good, but its good

50 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I've had no issue watching films starring or made by FAR more problematic figures than Ezra Miller. The movie just stunk!

43 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

With all the negative press around The Flash, I was expecting it to be bad when I saw it, and it wasn't that great, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Like, it's a lot better than Quantumania. 

40 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Why do disney animated movie have such great legs? I was shocked when I saw Frozen 1 opened in the 60's, considering it made like 1.2 billion

37 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Because they rely on word of mouth spreading, not hype/fanbases to propel them to big numbers. Frozen also had Christmas-related theming help legs as kids got out of school during Winter.

26 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If they AI'd Finn Wolfhard's face onto Ezra Miller, Flash is a hit movie. Casting an uncharismatic pedophile tanked the DCEU as a whole. They had successful movies like Aquaman and Shazam before the news broke, and even the flops like Josstice League were still grossing decent numbers.

Nowdays they are tanking worse than can possibly be imagined, which begs the question of what changed. Shazam managed $6m previews, 4 years later Shazam 2 can only manage $3m. Ezra Miller wasn't wrong when he said he "completely broke the universe" in The Flash movie.

Ironically, a similar thing is happening with Jonathan Majors and the MCU. Audiences don't like this kind of BS.

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Absolutely fucking nonsense. Replacing Ezra Miller was never possible when he plays not one but two main characters 

What does any of this have to do with 'THE MARVELS'?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

What does any of this have to do with 'THE MARVELS'?

My second post is (albeit tangentially) related to the Marvels as I was comparing the effect Jonathan Majors had on The Marvels to the effect Ezra Miller had on the DCEU.

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Why does everyone hate Brie Larson THIS much? I don’t understand it at all. 

Sites like Geeks & Gamers took comments she made about men out of context and riled their fanbase up. Same thing they're doing with Rachel Zegler.

But basically, it was because she was in the first Marvel Studios film specially about a female hero.

11 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Why does everyone hate Brie Larson THIS much? I don’t understand it at all. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movies/brie-larson-calls-more-diversity-film-criticism-following-usc-study-n883141

Manbabies hate her because she dared to say this 5 years ago.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

I have an anecdote regarding Captain Marvel. I taught children overseas in Asia a couple years ago. I showed Endgame's opening and final battle for the last day of the semester. When Carol carried the Guardians' ship to Earth, one of my girl students went "Wow." Then when Cap Marvel beat up Thanos, she couldn't hold back her excitement and yelped in joy. After class, she asked me who Cap Marvel was, then she said she would watch her movie at home. 

This shit matters, worldwide, and Disney/Marvel deserves all this failure  for not capitalizing on Cap Marvel's brief popularity following her film and Endgame. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Sites like Geeks & Gamers took comments she made about men out of context and riled their fanbase up. Same thing they're doing with Rachel Zegler.

But basically, it was because she was in the first Marvel Studios film specially about a female hero.

One caveat to this though is what about all the other female led blockbusters that were big hits before CM? It’s borderline disrespectful to give CM that kind of credit. It wasn’t the “first” anything, especially when Wonder Woman had smashed the CBM genre all on her own when CM wasn’t even filming yet. 

The real reason toxicity is worse among THOSE people with Brie and CM is because it’s objectively a poor character and performance, so they have all kinds of ammo to work with and few people who care about this character enough to really gatekeep. 

Edit: and yeah, I forgot about some of Brie’s comments back then. The bigots always go into a tantrum with that kind of stuff. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, DInky said:

And the thing is, she's right.

But that's also a huge problem with modern filmmaking. You can't make films above a certain budget for specific audiences because most of the time, they will fail. Or barely break even. The only way it truly works is when you have a film like Barbie which is unapologetically for women, and while enjoyable for men, we don't get nearly as much out of it as women do.

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

One caveat to this though is what about all the other female led blockbusters that were big hits before CM? It’s borderline disrespectful to give CM that kind of credit. It wasn’t the “first” anything, especially when Wonder Woman had smashed the CBM genre all on her own when CM wasn’t even filming yet. 

The real reason toxicity is worse among THOSE people with Brie and CM is because it’s objectively a poor character and performance, so they have all kinds of ammo to work with and few people who care about this character enough to really gatekeep. 

I said first Marvel Studios film specially about a female hero. Nowhere did I claim she was the first female superhero to get a film, or even the first female-led blockbuster.

Also, I'm talking about pre-release, when the online hate for her was at its apex. It decreased a lot after the film made over $1B.

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I said first Marvel Studios film specially about a female hero. Nowhere did I claim she was the first female superhero to get a film, or even the first female-led blockbuster.

Also, I'm talking about pre-release, when the online hate for her was at its apex. It decreased a lot after the film made over $1B.

But my point is why is that very specific title important enough to matter? Why not this level of hate for other female led blockbusters? There was more to it than that. The quality exacerbated the toxicity imo (along with Brie being outspoken). 

Anecdotally, I’ll never forget my very liberal, very feminist mom telling me along the lines of “it was ok, but the actress playing her was very dull” after seeing CM…