Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I don't think audiences liked the first one much. Maybe enough to like it at the moment, but forget about it immediately afterwards.

Captain Marvel, made only 2.47x it's global opening in total, which is the second worst ever legs for an MCU non-sequel (even worse than Eternals). Only better than Black Widow, but COVID and Disney+ are factors there.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But my point is why is that very specific title important enough to matter? Why not this level of hate for other female led blockbusters? There was more to it than that. The quality exacerbated the toxicity imo (along with Brie being outspoken). 

Anecdotally, I’ll never forget my very liberal, very feminist mom telling me along the lines of “it was ok, but the actress playing her was very dull” after seeing CM… 

Because the hate was manufactured. And the MCU was the biggest property at the time, bigger than the DCEU.

Didn't you see these same YouTubers try to go after Hailey Atwell (for Dead Reckoning)? I did, but Mission Impossible doesn't get the clicks.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

both Hunger Games and The Marvels seem to be targeting female audiences. Hunger Games actually looks like a real movie with real weight, gravitas, and themes while The Marvels looks like Hannah Montana in space and they throw a bunch of cats on the screen. Glad it seems the former will be the one that is likely going to do better

• Like 2

Oh, make no mistake. This movie is being promoted. However, no promotion can beat the lack of energy and excitement that are haunting this movie.

So, yeah, it's being promoted BUT studio definitely thinks it's a stinker. Are they seriously lifting a freaking social embargo 1 day before it gets released overseas? That's madness.

10 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Oh, make no mistake. This movie is being promoted. However, no promotion can beat the lack of energy and excitement that are haunting this movie.

So, yeah, it's being promoted BUT studio definitely thinks it's a stinker. Are they seriously lifting a freaking social embargo 1 day before it gets released overseas? That's madness.

We just had FNAF not lift the social media embargo until the day before. Disney knows the movie is bad just like Universal knew with FNAF.

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

I don't think audiences liked the first one much. Maybe enough to like it at the moment, but forget about it immediately afterwards.

Captain Marvel, made only 2.47x it's global opening in total, which is the second worst ever legs for an MCU non-sequel (even worse than Eternals). Only better than Black Widow, but COVID and Disney+ are factors there.

I'm not sure this is a good way to measure audience reception
Avengers: Endgame mode only 2.29x it's global opening. But like, that's just saying it was a very frontloaded movie due to hype. It certainly isn't evidence that endgame was mid and forgettable. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hypercortical said:

I'm not sure this is a good way to measure audience reception
Avengers: Endgame mode only 2.29x it's global opening. But like, that's just saying it was a very frontloaded movie due to hype. It certainly isn't evidence that endgame was mid and forgettable. 

It's also hard to make 3x off such a huge opening!  The more you open to, the more you have double, triple, whatever.

This is why I like to say I'm something of a "multiplier skeptic" at times because multipliers can *sometimes* actively obscure just how popular something was.

My go to example is The Force Awakens.  To this day, people like to knock its Christmas legs as nothing special.  I turn around and note it made nearly $690m after its OW. 

Like hell that didn't have legs.

Similarly, Endgame did $500m *AFTER* burning through 350m+ OW!!!  Again, like hell Endgame didn't have legs.  

Multipliers aren't the only way to judge how something did after its OW, IMNSHO.

(side rant of mine which I feel compelled to make every once in a while)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

But my point is why is that very specific title important enough to matter? Why not this level of hate for other female led blockbusters? There was more to it than that. The quality exacerbated the toxicity imo (along with Brie being outspoken). 

Anecdotally, I’ll never forget my very liberal, very feminist mom telling me along the lines of “it was ok, but the actress playing her was very dull” after seeing CM… 

What Brie Larson's Captain Marvel has that a character like Wonder Woman does not have, is very clear.

Woke Vibes

The people who drive hate campaigns against people like Brie Larson and movies like Captain Marvel, are not simply against anything led by women. What they're against is progressive subversions of traditional norms. A character like wonder woman gets a pass because she fits the traditional femininity mold quite well, while also just being physically strong and capable in a fight. She also falls in love with the first man she meets, which is a nice little treat for them. Captain Marvel on the other hand... well just earlier I saw someone on reddit refer to her as a "butch girlboss" or something like that. She is, honestly in my opinion the epitome of 2010's pop-feminism. A mantle Wonder Woman could not hold because she had to be sexy and wear a short skirt that shows of her legs and stuff, While Captain Marvel gets to totally detach herself from traditional gender-roles. This is scary to men who objectify women, for obvious reason. 

The pop feminism of the 2010s was largely inspired by "Radical Feminism", which sees traditional gender as a tool patriarchy uses to keep women subservient. But now in the 2020's, while identifying as a "feminist" is not quite as popular, I think it's pretty clear that, to whatever extent it is popular, we're moving more in a "Cultural Feminism." Direction. Cultural Feminism was an offshoot of Radical Feminism, led by radical feminists who felt that, while some aspects of gender may be used by the patriarchy to oppress, certain aspects of femininity are actually very natural and very good and even superior, and should be put on a pedestal. (I've noticed the term "divine femininity" trending in the past year or so, and I think that's very emblematic of this cultural shift). 

You can even see The Marvels embraces femininity more than Captain Marvel. Brie's hair is cuter. Her outfit is form fitting and no longer makes her ass look quite flat. The whole movie (from the trailers i've seen) has a more feminine energy in ways I can't quite describe. Like they're just kinda serving ----, y'know? Carol is literally a princess. But I think it doesn't matter much to people who have already invested themselves in hating Brie Larson. And Captain Marvel is still no Wonder Woman

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I can't stop getting ads for The Marvels while watching YouTube. It is obvious that Disney has spent over a 100M marketing the film, people just don't give a damn right now. People who say that Disney aren't marketing this film are not telling the truth. I've seen both haters and supporters claim that the film isn't being marketed. That's just not factual. There's this weird trend of people claiming that every film that flops or is going to flop wasn't marketed and 9 times out of 10 that is a bold faced lie. I don't know why people persist in telling that lie. If the studios didn't market any of their big movies then they wouldn't be spending $100 million on marketing. Blue Beetle's marketing campaign was horrible (it still would have flopped even if it were good) but Indiana Jones 5 had a huge marketing campaign. People just didn't want to see it. I know this hurts fans feelings but sometimes the public just doesn't want to see a movie. 

Rant Over. 

i think it’s more people saying that the movie is being marketed horribly. Up until like last month it looked like a dumb comedy with the beastie boys theme and now they keep showing scenes from endgame.

8 minutes ago, DInky said:

Can you point me to the post in question?

I guess they deleted it, but basically they said the reason why Bree Larson got more hate than Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman was because the former's looks didn't adhere to gender norms: short hair, covered chest, etc. while Wonder Woman was strong but still a character that was more traditionally feminine in regard to her looks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I guess they deleted it, but basically they said the reason why Bree Larson got more hate than Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman was because the former's looks didn't adhere to gender norms: short hair, covered chest, etc. while Wonder Woman was strong but still a character that was more traditionally feminine in regard to her looks.

Makes sense.