Eric Quinn

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

If reactions end up good, then it's all the dumber of Disney to push them so late. This film needed help 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

So basically Disney sabotaged the release of this movie if its actually good.

Speaking as someone without a horse in the race I think the Over/Under line over at RT needs to be about 80% or so for this to be an Historic Own Goal by Disney.  

Okay, actually about 83% or so for vibez reasons, but I rounded down.

Mind I have no idea if the RT will be O/U 80 RT, but that's where I'm personally putting the line.

===

If, if this gets a certified fresh score it could also be that Disney was trying to outrun the SAG talks by setting as late a reaction drop as possible, but just fatally misread the room as to the type of signal that would send.

If this gets around 80 on RT that is as I don't think we can honestly tell yet.

• Like 1

one of the weirdest reviews i've ever read

seems like everyone decided to put on their kid gloves tonight 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

Honestly, didn’t read the actual critics yet but reaction from these influencers etc (that counts for RT anyway) are actually pretty good 

I didn’t find that sense of blase that was all over Quantumania reactions at least until now 

And it seems like the “expecting nothing” vibe kinda help it, lots of people saying they expect something bad and get a very entertaining thing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Reading a few of them, they seem pretty lukewarm. Ouch. At least they're not as bad as Quantumania I guess. It'll probably end up in the Love and Thunder range. Which is basically a kiss of death in today's landscape.

Didn't people immediately start talking about how bad Love and Thunder was? This sounds like a decent film that just about everyone enjoys. To get in the 70s on RT, you have to make a sizable portion of the audience not enjoy the film

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Reading a few of them, they seem pretty lukewarm. Ouch. At least they're not as bad as Quantumania I guess. It'll probably end up in the Love and Thunder range. Which is basically a kiss of death in today's landscape.

I wouldn't say lukewarm

Quantumania was for sure lukewarm. The Marvels is more "its surprisingly fun" and reactions seems to be skewing positive. Let's see how other people reacted once more tweets start to pop up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This kind of tells me everything i need to know...I guess it won't go rotten (which would be shocking) and looks like 70%-79% on RT 

Was gonna say "mid to low 70s", but yeah.

"Better than expected" isn't exactly great but at the same time tone of reviews matters!  And the tone of these might move the needle a bit.

Don't think this will quite reach my 80 RT O/U Own Goal line, but the tenor of these reactions sure does make it... questionable as to why Disney waited so long.  "Fun but shallow/uneven" still would have boosted ticket sales, after all!!!

Only thing I can really think of is that they were caught by the SAG/AMPTP talks.  And, if so, well Disney knows who to blame in that case!