Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

That makes me wonder, since I've never really checked too hard, but what actually is the international presence on sites like RT like? English speaking countries obviously, but from my (anecdotal and casual) glances it seems like languages other than English don't usually have a big presence on the site.

Edited by SpiderByte

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

meaning it can only go up. usually movie starts with 100% and then goes down down down so this will go up. I expect foreign reviews to be harsher cause they have no reason to hold back. Dom will cushion the reaction somewhat. 

Pretty much. From what I gather, US critics will go easier on it than foreign ones. And audience reception could be brutal.

Just now, SpiderByte said:

I've never really checked too hard but what actually is the international presence on sites like RT like? English speaking countries obviously, but from my (anecdotal and casual) glances it seems like languages other than English don't usually have a big presence on the site.

99.99% people never heard of RT in my country.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

That makes me wonder, since I've never really checked too hard, but what actually is the international presence on sites like RT like? English speaking countries obviously, but from my (anecdotal and casual) glances it seems like languages other than English don't usually have a big presence on the site.

Very low. 

I know some brazilian counts there, some French, some Mexican and Spanish. But really just a few each. 

If i would guess, 90% of reviews are from US / Canada / UK

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The most common praise being for Iman Vellani really makes me feel like she, for sure, has a future long term in the MCU. Be it Ms Marvel season 2, Champions, X-Men, etc, even the negative reactions so far say that she's great.

She really shouldn’t be.

She was the main character of that Avengers game that flopped.

She had her own TV show that flopped.

She’s been a lead in a big $200M+ Hollywood movie that flopped.

She’s had ample screen time to audiences at this point.

She isn’t a draw.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 7

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Pretty much. From what I gather, US critics will go easier on it than foreign ones. And audience reception could be brutal.

As for RT, correct me if I'm wrong since I don't remember perosnally (wasn't into BO following at the time) but I've seen comments on BOT that first CA started abysmally low but when went up to respectable RT score. Not sure it will be case here but the score will have to go up cause it cannot go down.

13 minutes ago, Valencia said:

She really shouldn’t be.

She isn’t a draw.

You understand that the problems with those wasn't the character being in them right? Kamala being in the Avengers game isn't the reason they decided to make it a GaaS

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Nothing but 1 person quoted Morbius here 

Most people are just realistic, it’s somewhat mixed which means it can go either way when reviews drop

In my Morbius reference, I mentioned that movie related to the editing, not the overall quality, of the movie.  And with Mendlesohn saying the script and plotting is "terrible", it seems in that way, The Marvels is Morbius.  They didn't have a sensible, easy to follow, or even an interesting story, so they cut to charming and funny, and figured folks could just ignore what the story is...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Fwiw, I don't think "muddled but fun", even if the RT score slips into rotten territory, is a death sentence.  Probably turns some people off, not worth the $ and time to watch in theaters, but being the first family friendly action film since August is still working in its favor.  No ASTV or even GOTG3, but more like Transformers ROTB (but with the MCU audience a little more spoiled/picky)

Hey Guys :)

I am new hear as a member. Silently reading along for a while now.

I just decided to contribute here.

So I am from Germany and the reviews for the Marvels are pretty good. Like not masterpiece good but good.

I checked newspapers and youtube reviewers and 95% of them gave a score that would translate into a fresh score at rotten tomatos. I know they won't contribute to that score, germans do not post on RT but to my surprise most people like it here. Will it help overcome the terrible presales here in germany ? Maybe not but it seems interesting to me. France for instance killing this movie 😵  

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Final Predictions

50% RT

40% MC (fewer shills/fanboys/social media influencers on MC, so scores will likely be lower)

C+ Cinemascore

75% Verified Aud score

$40m opening weekend

$75m DOM total

$160m WW

Get ready, this will be one for the ages. John Carter's record as the biggest bomb of all time may, after eleven years, finally go down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

36 minutes ago, Valencia said:

She really shouldn’t be.

She isn’t a draw.

It'd funny that here it's almost a taboo to say that producing a hit is mandatory for star status. Critical hyperbole about star turns and MVPs means nothing if the praised actor and performance don't produce a hit. In Marvel history, only one performance and actor ever were solely responsible for his movie's boxoffice success - RDJ in 2008. IM went from a C lister to an A lister like Batman, Superman and Spiderman overnight exclusively thanks to him. People kept coming to the movie and talk about IM because of RDJ not because of Marvel brand (he kicked off the brand) or the story (by numbers as ever) or anything else. It's was all RDJ. That's a true star. That isn't "any cute performance in an underperformer/flop is a star". 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It'd funny that here it's almost a taboo to say that producing a hit is mandatory for star status. Critical hyperbole about star turns and MVPs means nothing if the praised actor and performance don't produce a hit. In Marvel history, only one performance and actor ever were solely responsible for his movie's boxoffice success - RDJ in 2008. IM went from a C lister to an A lister like Batman, Superman and Spiderman overnight exclusively thanks to him. People kept coming to the movie and talk about IM because of RDJ not because of Marvel brand (he kicked off the brand) or the story (by numbers as ever) or anything else. It's was all RDJ. That's a true star. That isn't "any cute performance in an underperformer/flop is a star". 

RDJ is pretty much the father of the MCU

his character ark is one of the biggest reasons why people liked the MCU so much. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone was claiming Iman Vellani is now a star on par with RDJ, but in both her own show and this she's gotten almost exclusively raves for her performance as Kamala. Pinning the blame on Ms Marvel as the reason for the tracking doesn't make much sense.

I mean Feige brought back Anson Mount from the ABC Inhumans show. If he can come back I don't see why Ms Marvel is now off the table

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 3
  • Heart 3

I understand that the individual films post-endgame have had problems, but I l still believe that the biggest culprit for the sudden collapse of the MCU is the oversaturation of the market and the nonsensical state of the overall narrative. 

The infinity saga was incredible at telling a story over the long-term while tying in individual character arcs and stories. Since endgame it's like there's no direction anymore and even each films approach to the “multiverse” feels inconsistent. The shows made it near impossible for an average person to keep up as well, and even for some hardcore fans.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

RDJ is pretty much the father of the MCU

his character ark is one of the biggest reasons why people liked the MCU so much. 

Indeed. There's absolutely no one who can fill his shoes in the current slate of characters and actors. No one. It's the truth. Also, bringing him back would cheapen the character arc. So that's being between the rock (no another star character/actor like him) and the hard place (lazy solution to just lure him back would undo his arc and ultimately hurt the character).

• Like 1

Oh man. I just heard a clip of a musical number in the film. I love movie musicals, and for years now I've wanted to see essentially a combination of the MCU-style superhero genre with the WDAS-style movie-musical genre. 

But this is not it

Although, tbf I have this reaction to songs from new musicals like 50% of the time, and then they grow on me, especially when I see them in the context of the film.

But this seems a bit more extreme

Edited by Hypercortical
  • ...wtf 1