Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Movie critics used to have degrees, class and eloquence. Now they’re 45 year old neckbeards who write for collider and soy face over children’s entertainment. Not saying any conspiracy thing before a mod gets on my ass, just observing the fall of the quality of writing

But there is an agenda that isn't political but pure business - the more expensive the movies get the more studios need critics who are easy to please. So your 300M shitfest will need more neckbeard and soy [ironic use of term] critics to give it 3 star fresh scores that critics with decades long reputations are less likely to do unless they want to lose credibility. Hence influx of influencer/blogger type of critics that love overly expensive wiz bang entertainment on agregate sites such as RT. 79% fresh shit cause 79% gave 3 star as fresh due to lack of mediocre/mid/mixed category aka yellow on Meta. No wonder more people who care for reviews are now turning to Metacritic over RT. Awards watchers and bloggers completely bypass RT when they try to gauge a movie's critical reception. It's all about Metascore. 

This isn't about shilling aka being paid to praise it's about letting people who love expensive movies regardless of merit onto review sites even if they don't have at minimum a crash course in writing reviews. No one profits more from these critics than blockbusters.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Movie critics used to have degrees, class and eloquence. Now they’re 45 year old neckbeards who write for collider and soy face over children’s entertainment. Not saying any conspiracy thing before a mod gets on my ass, just observing the fall of the quality of writing

Critics use to be few. Now we have 500+ critics which have definitely diluted everything. Most of those bloggers are not much  different from your casual audience viewer.

Don't get me wrong some of the top critics can get way over their assess too  but agree writing in general has declined.  Most of the reviews now  have generic repeated statements that you have had multiple times and they've lost meaning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hypercortical said:

from a review:

"She’s one of those overly sympathetic villains it’s impossible to root against, though, so the stakes of 'The Marvels' are pretty low."

I don't understand this sentence. Like it doesn't seem to follow to me. How does a sympathetic antagonist lead to lower stakes?

I guess it mean the villain doesn't feel menacing enough (due to being too sympathetic), which lower the stakes.

It's a matter of opinion.

Just now, Liiviig 1998 said:

Critics use to be few. Now we have 500+ critics which have definitely diluted everything. Most of those bloggers are not much  different from your casual audience viewer.

Don't get me wrong some of the top critics can get way over their assess too  but agree writing in general has declined.  Most of the reviews now  have generic repeated statements that you have had multiple times and they've lost meaning.

The democratization of higher education is something we should encourage - the democratization of movie critics, however, is such a beyond dumb and isolated cause that I can’t believe it’s something RT pursued by opening the floodgates to every blogger and youtuber under the sun lol

8 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

point I was trying to make. It's in studios interest to have this type of critics to prop their not so stellar expensive opus since movies are now getting unreasonably expensive and casual audience isn't too demanding. So critics who are basically that audience are as easy to please as that audience.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Critics of yesteryear were true blue journalists. They were better writers because they had degrees from top universities and worked in a competitive field that was highly valued by society. 

That is not the case anymore. 

Maybe you're right.

However, it's interesting that people mainly start to complaint about critics lack of degree when they don't like their reviews.

I mean, RT having critics without degree has been an issue for a long time, but I didn't seen that issue mentioned until now in this thread. 

51 minutes ago, TMP said:

Funny you say that, when there was a breakdown of critics genders some pages ago showing how critics who are women are rating this movie better than male critics. And looking quickly at RT, the trend seems to continue.

Also, fuck that term.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Maybe you're right.

However, it's interesting that people mainly start to complaint about critics lack of degree when they don't like their reviews.

I mean, RT having critics without degree has been an issue for a long time, but I didn't seen that issue mentioned until now in this thread. 

Poeple complain about critics all the time. Pretty much did it for Indy,flash.etc....

This movie is like fresh with 5.7 avg rating. Which is not far off from QM/ET . Such a discrepancy is bound to attract such conversation.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Are we seriously using the "soy" buzzword used by the reactionaries unironically? What the hell am I reading? A Nerdrotic comment section?

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy as well. I thought only weirdos said stuff like that unironically.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Are we seriously using the "soy" buzzword used by the reactionaries unironically? What the hell am I reading? A Nerdrotic comment section?

we are totally using it ironically. But if that wasn't obvious, we can redact it or put an irony sign.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Poeple complain about critics all the time. Pretty much did it for Indy,flash.etc....

This movie is like fresh with 5.7 avg rating. Which is not far off from QM/ET . Such a discrepancy is bound to attract such conversation.

Indy and Flash are movies with not really high RT score.

My point is people complaint how current critics lack degree or professionalism, but this only start when they don't like the criticism.

If the lack of degree or professionalism is a real issue, people should complaint even when critics give pretty good reviews to movies they like (or at least always dismiss RT).

Edited by Kon

20 minutes ago, Kon said:

Indy and Flash are movies with not really high RT score.

My point is people complaint how current critics lack degree or professionalism, but this only start when they don't like the criticism.

If the lack of degree or professionalism is a real issue, people should complaint even when critics give pretty good reviews to movies they like (or at least always dismiss RT).

I see the same complaint when critics overpraise movies. I still can't believe first Doctor Strange got over 90% on RT like masterpiece LOTR. That's why % is shit. Average is better but even that gets overly inflated. Oh and that TROS sits at 50% something instead of 0% is a crime.

Edited by Valonqar

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy as well. I thought only weirdos said stuff like that unironically.

It's par for course for how this place has been evolving since like...2016 unfortunately.

• Sad 1