Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Ok, I just saw a review that gives me a certain thought:

Is it fair to review a sequel to a film that you haven't seen, and then give the film a rotten score on account of the fact that "As someone who is uninitiated with Captain Marvel's world, [he] was wholly confused and unsatisfied with this film."

?

12 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Ok, I just saw a review that gives me a certain thought:

Is it fair to review a sequel to a film that you haven't seen, and then give the film a rotten score on account of the fact that "As someone who is uninitiated with Captain Marvel's world, [he] was wholly confused and unsatisfied with this film."

?

Well you know it goes both ways. For every critic like this there's another that will give a fresh score because it's an MCU movie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Well you know it goes both ways. For every critic like this there's another that will give a fresh score because it's an MCU movie.

That just sounds like they like MCU movies. I wouldn't call that going both ways. The former is an unfair addition to socre aggregators because audiences already expect that a sequel will likely build on the film it's a sequel to. Like if you're asking someone if the film is good, you probably don't wanna hear "it was bad because i was missing context because I didn't see the first film". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

That just sounds like they like MCU movies. I wouldn't call that going both ways. The former is an unfair addition to socre aggregators because audiences already expect that a sequel will likely build on the film it's a sequel to. Like if you're asking someone if the film is good, you probably don't wanna hear "it was bad because i was missing context because I didn't see the first film". 

Look ultimately anyone can give it good or bad review for whatever reason they want, regardless if their reason is sound or not.

Can I just say, this will be a wild two weeks. I was worried about this film, mostly because it was going to charge up the Wrong People Online™, but what's even better is, their newest target, Rachel Zegler, might just have a hit on her hands next weekend, so I suddenly care a lot less about how The Marvels does.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

23 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

I think the funniest thing I ever heard someone say about a marvel movie, was some video essayist who described the first maybe 20 minutes of Captain America: Winter Soldier, and then said, "This is a masterclass in political philosophy."

I will go to my grave with the belief that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the most overrated Marvel Studios film of all time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I will go to my grave with the belief that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the most overrated Marvel Studios film of all time.

image.gif

Anyway, looks like you got two hours for the mice to play, since @XXR's Eras Tour, I am also about to go into the flick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can believe it is overrated if you like as everyone is entitled to their opinions but Winter Soldier solidified MCU Captain America's icon status post Avengers. It made him cool to audiences. Captain Marvel desperately needed her own Winter Soldier but Marvel gave Captain Marvel her own Thor: The Dark World instead. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The Marvels back to Rotten territory again on RT ( 59% ).

Damn really interested to see where the RT score goes and whether the cinemascore is as bad as I think it's gonna be (at least based on the OS reactions I'm seeing...)

Would not be suprised if it ends up in the 55-63% RT range (I'm not too optimistic on a 65+%)

• Like 1