Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I think people also overestimate how many people outside the Internet actually know that Deadpool is now part of the MCU.

I also think that Deadpool 3 will be seen as just that - the third Deadpool movie and as such, the trilogy ender following two very well-received entrys. Its performance, whether good or bad, probably wont have any influence on the MCU's overall trajectory.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Deadpool 3 alone of course not but 2025 is a key point for them

And They should give to The crowd something related to The Avengers Movie. 

Do you mean in Deadpool? Cause that would kill my interest. It’s really not the point in the series.

19 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

On the marketing side, they acted like this was an established IP when it was original IP as far as the GA was concerned.  Again, they let Staton have approval over marketing decisions why? 

Long live the super bowl spot that just focused on the name John Carter and you could barely see the visuals of the movie lol

It's too late for Marvels. All the news saying it's a bomb is scaring off the GA from watching it, no amount of Brie or Iman doing interviews will change this.

Not expecting any kind of bump on Thanksgiving, maybe a softer drop this week which is going get canceled out by big drop next week.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 1:24 PM, WebSurfer said:

I don’t even know what ‘woke’ truly means and I keep hearing it everywhere….

99% of the time I’ve heard it in relation to this movie it’s been from people imagining a misogynistic bogeyman that magically made the whole world not want to go to the cinema to see it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:46 PM, Brainbug said:

I think people also overestimate how many people outside the Internet actually know that Deadpool is now part of the MCU.

I also think that Deadpool 3 will be seen as just that - the third Deadpool movie and as such, the trilogy ender following two very well-received entrys. Its performance, whether good or bad, probably wont have any influence on the MCU's overall trajectory.

I agree but I suspect it's a moot point. Both the press tour and trailers will scream "DEADPOOL/JACKMAN JOINING THE MCU" and because it's a big franchise with big stars, normal people will hear about it.

26 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Captain Marvel:  1.13 billion

The Marvels: 200mish

Lol, is there a bigger drop for a sequel?  This is like reverse Terminator/Terminator 2

Alice 2 WW dropped 71% drop from first Alice WW. 

Went from 1.025 to 299m, so $725m drop!

Marvels $220m WW likely finish means 81% drop from CM WW.

Could be a $911m drop? 

Nothing will be coming close for a very long time.

Basically, what I was talking about on the Marvel’s thread is this:

Film Twitter and the film bros discourse these days — from both sides of the Stuckmann / Willems  or Grace Randolph / Nerdrotic spectrum — have become even more white oriented and clearly not beneath clickbait shit like this. DaCosta attended the actual film premiere one day before. She was celebrating her birthday that happened to be the same day of the film’s opening and same day that the actors and crew were finally able to promote the film. This kind of discourse isn’t Marvel’s fault, and the discourse here on THR is not as bad as that Variety article released days before the film’s release — but as much clickbait non-sense as that one. Which is unfortunate, to say the least.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

I find the finger pointing very funny when the biggest demo for the movie was white males and the female audience just rejected it.

That's sort of bullshit. "white males" didn't over-index, men over-indexed by ~6 points relative to an MCU baseline (or ~10 points versus what you have to imagine Marvel was hoping for). However, there's just no racial story here and we shouldn't create one. "Straight white men" may stand in for a default but saying straight white men/white men commits you to a substantive claim about the other variables that I just don't think is true. 

Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian [+6% other]

Ant-Man was 53% Caucasian; Gotg3 was 41% Caucasian; Thor 4 was 39% Caucasian; DS: Multiverse of Madness was 35% Caucasian and Cap Marvel 1 was 47% Caucasian.

If anything "white men" slightly under-indexed an MCU baseline with African American indexing/slightly overindexing and Asians+Other clearly over-indexing but that's an exaggeration. It has Thor 4's racial demos with a somewhat more male skew. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
accidentally included an unrelated quote

11 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

I find the finger pointing very funny when the biggest demo for the movie was white males and the female audience just rejected it.

Women just don't care for for representstion in superhero movies. When I studied marketing it was said that action comedies are primarily targeted towards men, and that's what MCU movies tend to be. If you are going to make a female empowering team up then it atleast needs a love interest but clearly disney just doesnt understand women.

• Like 1