Eric the IF

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Impressive how this managed to beat the Force Awakens --> Last Jedi (-$316M) record for the biggest raw sequel domestic drop. Marvels will decrease ~$345M from Captain Marvel.

Though I feel like Kang Dynasty will very likely beat this (would require <$513M total). Mufasa too if you count that as a sequel (needs <$198M). Maybe Captain America 4 if it's terribly received (would require <$65M total but CBMs have no floor now). Oh and also Spider-Man 4 is most likely beating this (would require <$459M total). 

Edited by HummingLemon496

15 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

How did the first one get an A but this movie got a B? Is it waaaaaaaaay worse or are audiences getting stricter with CBMs? Like seriously only 1/6 live action CBMs this year have gotten above B+

original Captain Marvel was fun but forgettable, i thought Brie and SLJ made a good team. The Marvels is the worst MCU film i ever seen, i could not believe Marvel released it, maybe with strike they said we can't fix it as normal.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

original Captain Marvel was fun but forgettable, i thought Brie and SLJ made a good team. The Marvels is the worst MCU film i ever seen, i could not believe Marvel released it, maybe with strike they said we can't fix it as normal.

See, only 1/6 most likely will extend to 1/7 live action CBMs this year got an A range grade on CinemaScore. I can't help but shake the feeling that audiences are just getting harsher on CBMs now, like there's no way a film like CM1 would get an A now.

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

See, only 1/6 most likely will extend to 1/7 live action CBMs this year got an A range grade on CinemaScore. I can't help but shake the feeling that audiences are just getting harsher on CBMs now, like there's no way a film like CM1 would get an A now.

The market is tired fo the same formula, that's why The Boys is so popular. CBMs need a change of narrative / execution or they will have the same fate the 80's action movies had.

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

The market is tired fo the same formula, that's why The Boys is so popular. CBMs need a change of narrative / execution or they will have the same fate the 80's action movies had.

I'm wondering if with all these colourful movies failing that Hollywood is going to try bringing the dark and gritty reboot back.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm wondering if with all these colourful movies failing that Hollywood is going to try bringing the dark and gritty reboot back.

Batman surely has that niche already bought, but who knows, maybe Echo is a big hit and Marvel greenlights many R rated movies.

6 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

What did you find so objectionable about it? I actually think it's a more enjoyable movie than the original Captain Marvel (and certainly better than Love & Thunder or Quantumania).

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DInky said:

What did you find so objectionable about it? I actually think it's a more enjoyable movie than the original Captain Marvel (and certainly better than Love & Thunder or Quantumania).

Honestly, I hadn't seen a lot of hate for The Marvels, there just seems to be a lot of disinterest. The biggest emotion that The Marvels seems to have aroused was shock at its low box office.

The critics seem to be a lot harder with The Marvels, but I feel they are harder with the MCU now.

Edited by Kon

2 hours ago, DInky said:

bad story, disjointed, bad editing, bad villain, some dumb singing planet that just seemed like a excuse to put some dude in to sell some tickets in some random market, cgi cats

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, DInky said:

But that's not who Carol is in the movies, like at all...

That's a perception that part of the audience have because they feel the character wasn't challenged enough in the first movie.

Maybe this changed on The Marvels, but not enough people have seen that movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I hadn't seen a lot of hate for The Marvels, there just seems to be a lot of disinterest. The biggest emotion that The Marvels seems to have aroused was shock at its low box office.

The critics seem to be a lot harder with The Marvels, but I feel they are harder with the MCU now.

Yep the fact that Guardians is only at 82% on RT from critics. That would have been a easy 90%+ just a few short years ago. 

• Like 2

Bummer it didn’t do better. I enjoyed it. Fun, breezy romp that told its story and got out. Flerkin bit in the third act was worth the price of admission alone. Iman Vellani (and basically the whole cast of Ms. Marvel) stole scenes left and right. They’re really good, they should do more with them. Wish they did more with Teyonah Parris’ Photon. Clearly there was a reconciliation arc with CM in there that got cut out. Brie did a fine job, loved the princess scene. Agree that $200 million was absurd for this, but that’s an all-over-Hollywood problem right now. No one seems to be able to control a budget lately. In the long run though it’s a self-correcting problem.

• Like 1