Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

44 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, the Ms. Marvel ending scene.  If that's the movie conceit, I've said it before and I'll say it again - that was a horrible plan.  Body swapping these character concepts is either gonna be terribly unfunny or horribly out of character, ticking off fans.  Plus requiring viewing of the D+ show to follow the movie is, and has always been, a bad idea...

What are you talking about with the body swap thing, that isn't what happened. The actual plot of Ms Marvel likely will have nothing to do with this one. All audiences will need to know is "Kamala is a superhero fangirl who is also a superhero" which could be covered in a trailer in a few seconds.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

What are you talking about with the body swap thing, that isn't what happened. The actual plot of Ms Marvel likely will have nothing to do with this one. All audiences will need to know is "Kamala is a superhero fangirl who is also a superhero" which could be covered in a trailer in a few seconds.

The last ending scene of Ms Marvel - you've seen it, right?  Ms Marvel disappears while near her closet and Capt Marvel is in her place in her bedroom wondering how she got there, trading spaces style?  

Hijinks surely to ensue...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The last ending scene of Ms Marvel - you've seen it, right?  Ms Marvel disappears while near her closet and Capt Marvel is in her place in her bedroom wondering how she got there, trading spaces style?  

Hijinks surely to ensue...

What do you think Trading Spaces is about.

And how would that mean fans would be "upset" about it being "out of character" for them to swap places

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

What do you think Trading Spaces is about.

And how would that mean fans would be "upset" about it being "out of character" for them to swap places

Okay, instead, how about you write your way out of that scene as Captain Marvel runs into the family, trying to figure out where she is...knowing that half your audience hasn't even seen the scene b/c they never watched Ms. Marvel, so they have no idea about anything and anyone in that house...

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, instead, how about you write your way out of that scene as Captain Marvel runs into the family, trying to figure out where she is...knowing that half your audience hasn't even seen the scene b/c they never watched Ms. Marvel, so they have no idea about anything and anyone in that house...

Have you considered the possibility that maybe the full two hour movie may have some reference to who Kamala is. Hell, maybe there's a good chance that scene is actually straight from the actual movie. It's not nearly as complicated as you're pretending it is. But it's not like the movie is just gonna open immediately with Carol in Kamalas bedroom.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I think this will surprise people and NOT flop. It will drop from the first one, but it will still make good money.  The first one was very enjoyable. It all comes down to quality.

Hope this bombs so brie larson can go back to doing interesting stuff

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, YM! said:

I think Joker 2 will be dropping about the same as these two because the first hit a zeitgeist and I’m not sure the musical angle will be a sell.

Hangover 2 did much more than the first one and if I'm not mistaken it's the highest grossing traditional comedy of all time.

Like the criticism of "uh, how are people gonna know who Kamalas family are if they didn't see the show? Nobody will be able to follow it"

Except nobody knew who Kamalas family was before Ms Marvel either. The movie does have scenes that will explain who the characters are. Hell the trailer will probably do that. The same way they did it with any other time a character from another thing showed up in the first Avengers: they briefly explain who they are and allude to the previous events that are relevant to the new project.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Like the criticism of "uh, how are people gonna know who Kamalas family are if they didn't see the show? Nobody will be able to follow it"

Except nobody knew who Kamalas family was before Ms Marvel either. The movie does have scenes that will explain who the characters are. Hell the trailer will probably do that. The same way they did it with any other time a character from another thing showed up in the first Avengers: they briefly explain who they are and allude to the previous events that are relevant to the new project.

After Dr Strange 2's approach to solving the "watched/didn't watch" problem, there's no guarantee the audience will have a clue if they haven't watched the prior show OR if they have watched the show, will appreciate the certain deviations from continuity from the prior show.  It was a lose/lose for Strange with having done Wandavision and then that movie.  I see no reason The Marvels will do better with a worse set up than what Wandavision's after credits ended with...

One of those "fool me once" scenarios...YMMV on how you thought Wanda and her arc was utilized in the movie if you did or did not see the show.  But for me, the handling of Wanda was the worst thing in Dr Strange 2 - hand's down.

But that's it for me on this - time will tell...and it will be an interesting November...unless it doesn't end up being November...

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

After Dr Strange 2's approach to solving the "watched/didn't watch" problem, there's no guarantee the audience will have a clue if they haven't watched the prior show OR if they have watched the show, will appreciate the certain deviations from continuity from the prior show.  It was a lose/lose for Strange with having done Wandavision and then that movie.  I see no reason The Marvels will do better with a worse set up than what Wandavision's after credits ended with...

But...that movie did exactly what I said. They specifically said what happened in WandaVision that was relevant to the story of MoM. Why do you think they can't do that for The Marvels.

I consider myself a Marvel fan even but i didn´t watched Ms Marvel and i won´t watch it 

All those shows are demanding time that i simply don´t have so they better be very careful with those connections, if even me as a fan didn´t watch it, i´m sure a lot of the GA also didn´t 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Hangover 2 did much more than the first one and if I'm not mistaken it's the highest grossing traditional comedy of all time.

Lots of sequels did more than the first film.

But not films that took over a cultural zeitgeist. 

The Hangover was in a cultural environment with Harry Potter, Twilight, Avatar, The Dark Knight and Trandformers. The Dark Knight and perhaps Avatar were Zeitgeist movies. The Hangover was an enormously succesful comedy. Theres a difference.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I consider myself a Marvel fan even but i didn´t watched Ms Marvel and i won´t watch it 

All those shows are demanding time that i simply don´t have so they better be very careful with those connections, if even me as a fan didn´t watch it, i´m sure a lot of the GA also didn´t 

Same. Those shows just give me a feeling that they have nothing but attract users to spend time on Disney+.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

this problem depends on how the screenplay is ! remember same as audience Karol Danvers nd other characters too don't know who is ms marvel or anything happened in that show nd damn sure they can explain every important thing happened in that show simply within mins ! unlike multiverse of madness where doc strange somehow knew everything nd they didn't explain it + it's super hard to explain too !

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Ms Marvel is anyways a flop show

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I get it, but also it's six episodes.