Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean pretty much all the movies you quoted have awful reception on US too, i don’t get the point 

And i was only talking about France, it’s their market so there are value for them. Guardians 3 for example had very good scores both from press and audiences on AlloCine

It's basically just a pedantic one trying to nail down what the CS equivalent. Yeah, this is clearly a very bad score. I'm just wondering if it's quite that bad because of Cinemascore's generic "high floor" for disliked films in action/adventure genres genres. That comp list reads more B than C. 

I could easily be overstepping on this and probably should have caveated this more. I just semi-randomly have this dataset and I thought I'd use it to see what a quick glance at the data says (though I'd really want to see how these films performed at the French box office). 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I know people on here were clearly rooting for a Morbius type routing, but based on these reactions so far that just doesn't seem likely. It's more middle of the road to generally positive.

I don't think any reasonable person expected Morbius level reviews (one of the worst-reviewd comic book movies ever). But it will still likely end up rotten.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I know people on here were clearly rooting for a Morbius type routing, but based on these reactions so far that just doesn't seem likely. It's more middle of the road to generally positive.

Nothing but 1 person quoted Morbius here 

Most people are just realistic, it’s somewhat mixed which means it can go either way when reviews drop

11 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

It's basically just a pedantic one trying to nail down what the CS equivalent. Yeah, this is clearly a very bad score. I'm just wondering if it's quite that bad because of Cinemascore's generic "high floor" for disliked films in action/adventure genres genres. That comp list reads more B than C. 

I could easily be overstepping on this and probably should have caveated this more. I just semi-randomly have this dataset and I thought I'd use it to see what a quick glance at the data says (though I'd really want to see how these films performed at the French box office). 

What’s pedantic about this? 

I said the French reception would be something like getting a C on CinemaScore for THEM. I am exclusively talking about French market here, not doing a correlation in how it’ll do in US.

And it’s hard to disagreed on this imo. B score is still a positive grade, is considered bad on US theatrical metrics only because CS tends toward positivity.  

But French uses numeric grades, 2.6/5 is really similar to a C, objectively and mathematically speaking. I get it that it’s not a perfect comparison, but it’s probably the closest to accurate numerically.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I need Nia to open up a Twitter account and lament about a marvelous cut of this she had a year ago that we'll probably never see. That'd be reality though.

If she did that then her career really would be over.

Yeah, still early but reviews will not save this movie. At least the movie doesn't seem to be a disaster and "the worst MCU movie" as some people were hoping for. 

Edit: Post credits have also leaked on TikTok. I accidentally found out about one because I just opened the app and it was the first video there. Be cautious if you want to avoid spoilers.

Edited by AN9815

Nia will be fine. Even the bad reactions said there is an obvious effort from the cast and director to do something good. 

The main problem here seems to be the script (which Nia did put her fingers on but later on production so it’s not all of her) and the editing that can be due a lot of factors beyond the directors control in a movie that is from a producer above all people.

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And it’s hard to disagreed on this imo. B score is still a positive grade, is considered bad on US theatrical metrics only because CS tends toward positivity.  

Sure, but when I read these comments, I baked that positive skew into the claim which means I took you to be saying the French were treating it more like a film in the "true" "C-/D" range.

Honestly, this was helpful. Even if you think I'm wrong, I think I have a better sense of what you're intending to say above. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Firepower said:

2 negative reviews on RT now.

meaning it can only go up. usually movie starts with 100% and then goes down down down so this will go up. I expect foreign reviews to be harsher cause they have no reason to hold back. Dom will cushion the reaction somewhat. 

• Like 1