stealthyfrog

Borderlands | Lionsgate | Eli Roth to direct | Cate Blanchett is Lilith

6 hours ago, JWR said:

Damn, what a disaster this is shaping up to be...

And IMHO Lionsgate "The Crow" looks like another disaster . Not a good month for Lionsgate.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Remember Lionsgate could regularly open tiny budget horror films to $20m+ over and over again.

And now they have mostly no power or savvy at all. 

They have forgotten how to function as a studio making low budget films, and can't make many big budget films because thier model of selling off the distriubtion rights fell apart becuase the distributors got tired of having Liongate made films bomb on them.

Though the current studio managment have a get out of jail free card on Borderlands: It was greenlit by the previous administration.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 5:21 AM, AJG said:

It looks exactly like the game its based off. 

It's 2024. Video Games that are considered full out masterpieces can still be littered with the most mundane bog-standard dialogue, with stories that most non-gamers would consider to be nonsense.

Great game adaptations end up having to go above and beyond what's offered in the game. Look at Fallout, TLOU, and Arcane (based off a game I don't believe has a story mode).

You haven't played the game, clearly.

None of the characters in the movie have what made special the ones in the video games. (Besides maybe Claptrap)

The movie looks too cheap, having a 100m + budget.

Literally nothing that made the franchise special is in this piece of shit movie.

1/10

Edited by Belakor
  • Like 1

It's actually amazing how some of the main cast were literally not even characters. We never learn anything about their back story, personality, goals and desires, they just sort of exist.

No spoilers but one of them basically isn't event introduced. One moment their suddenly apart of the cast and they never contribute anything of value to the rest of the film

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

It's actually amazing how some of the main cast were literally not even characters. We never learn anything about their back story, personality, goals and desires, they just sort of exist.

No spoilers but one of them basically isn't event introduced. One moment their suddenly apart of the cast and they never contribute anything of value to the rest of the film

I love how bad reviews can make me miss a movie. 

But Downright Terrible reviews? That can change my mind in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not put faith in any reviews on a box office discussion on the opening weekend.  They are normally just good box office equal good movie or bad box office equals worst thing ever when at this stage that says more about the marketing campaign than anything.  

I saw this and I don’t get all the outrage. 

I’d still give it a 2/5. I get the impression that the Eli Roth stuff worked most for me and if someone else was brought in for the 3rd act they did a horrible job. 

I’ve never played the games. But it plays out like a video game, so the story is non existent - “we need to find keys to open a vault”. Yawn. 

But there were some fun scenes. And the 4DX was effective. 

The 9 year old with us *loved* it. 

• Like 2

My own opinions aside I am a little surprised at just HOW low this opened. Clearly the abysmal reviews killed any hope of interest in the film but certainly seems like there wasn't much there to begin with. GA must have thought "it's a video game adaption and I'm not going to understand it" and fans must've gone "This is not going to be anything like what I'd want to see from an adaptation".

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Shocked Furiosa is no longer this year's biggest bomb. I thought that would stand for the rest of the year.

I would have to  look at the budgets for both films before I could sign on for that.

I won't go see this because everything I have seen indicates this movie is just plain bad, instead of so bad it is an unintentional laugh riot bad.

I will wait until the Rifftrax people get ahold of this.

Edited by dudalb

15 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

My own opinions aside I am a little surprised at just HOW low this opened. Clearly the abysmal reviews killed any hope of interest in the film but certainly seems like there wasn't much there to begin with. GA must have thought "it's a video game adaption and I'm not going to understand it" and fans must've gone "This is not going to be anything like what I'd want to see from an adaptation".

You are surprised? They cast old women and men in roles meant for much younger actors effectively killing any interest among young-ish gamers. The cast looks like it was put together solely based on them being A-listers and not because they were remotely right for their roles or had any chemistry. The trailers were terrible. It looked like a cheap Guardians of the Galaxy knockoff starring old people for some reason. I'm no spring chicken, I have no problem with action films starring older actors but a Borderlands adaptation was the wrong film to do that sort of casting. I don't know if the film could have ever been a hit but if they had gotten an actual good director, had cast it more age appropriate, followed the source material more (and that includes the R rating) and given us actual good trailers maybe it would have had a shot at being a surprise hit this summer. 

13 minutes ago, Zak said:

You are surprised? They cast old women and men in roles meant for much younger actors effectively killing any interest among young-ish gamers. The cast looks like it was put together solely based on them being A-listers and not because they were remotely right for their roles or had any chemistry. The trailers were terrible. It looked like a cheap Guardians of the Galaxy knockoff starring old people for some reason. I'm no spring chicken, I have no problem with action films starring older actors but a Borderlands adaptation was the wrong film to do that sort of casting. I don't know if the film could have ever been a hit but if they had gotten an actual good director, had cast it more age appropriate, followed the source material more (and that includes the R rating) and given us actual good trailers maybe it would have had a shot at being a surprise hit this summer. 

I feel like this being a PG13 and not featuring the OTT violence and adult humour of the games probably hurt this more than studio execs at Lionsgate would care to admit. They hired Eli Roth, a man known for gory horror movies, to direct this and then mandated a PG13 rating? Who okayed that decision? I’ve never really been a fan of Roth’s movies, but I can’t help but feel that he was massively held back and wasn’t able to make the film he likely wanted to make.

• Like 3