Eric Duncan

PAW Patrol | Paramount | August 20, 2021 | Not Canceled

OK, full disclosure here. I haven't watched a single episode of PAW Patrol. But I still question the logic of putting this movie in theaters. See, movies aimed at preschoolers have. . . I'm going to be generous and say an unimpressive history of box-office success. The movie industry is littered with the bloated corpses of preschooler-targeted movies like Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird!, Barney's Great Adventure, Curious George, and most notoriously The Oogieloves In The Big Balloon Adventure. 

The fundamental issue with putting movies aimed at preschoolers in theaters is that preschoolers don't buy movie tickets. Parents do. Which is why most movies supposedly aimed at kids are actually aimed at families. That is to say, they're enjoyable to parents as well as children, or at least tolerable to them. Most preschool TV shows are barely tolerable to parents in half-hour doses, let alone as a two-hour movie. Many of the movies I mentioned above were based on franchises that were at the height of their popularity at the time they were released, just as PAW Patrol is now. Yet they still failed at the box office. 

In other words, if Nickelodeon were smart, they would make this a Paramount+ release. 

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 2

Day and date for Paramount+ is good to me. My daughter loves Paw Patrol and we plan on making this her first movie theater trip. And we also have Paramount+ (in my opinion the most underrated streaming service), so she can watch it whenever she wants as well

• Like 2

It still begs the question, though-- how big an audience is this movie realistically going to get? Remember, most animated movies from studios like Disney and DreamWorks are as successful as they are because they appeal not just to kids, but to parents as well. With Paw Patrol I'm not seeing that. That's not to say there aren't adults who enjoy it (and if you are one, let me know), but they make up a very small portion of its viewing audience compared to what we would expect of, say, a Pixar movie. 

And with this movie coming out on Paramount+ the same day it hits theaters, I doubt many parents are going to want to take their kids to a theater to see it when they can just let them see it at home. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Don't rain on my daughter's parade. Guarantee you I will be seeing that with her in theaters. Better than my little pony 3d though I assume that's coming too

I'm excited to take my daughter as well. It's not my favorite show of hers that she watches, but I'm excited to take her to her first movie to something she really wants to see

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheesypoofs said:

I'm excited to take my daughter as well. It's not my favorite show of hers that she watches, but I'm excited to take her to her first movie to something she really wants to see

I took my daughter all the time in England. My little pony twice, Peppa pig the movie, trolls, the Grinch, Ralph 2, among others. Sunday had a family $1.50 USD special. I'd buy popcorn/drink coupons online. $10 total. I miss you England.

I've seen this trailer 3x in theaters...if this makes more than $5M in its DOM OW, I'll eat my hat...and my boys loved this show years ago (although they loved it so much, they could only remember the lead dog's name, so you can see how well the show "sticks" vs something like "Dora" or "Blue's Clues" where every character and their names are just so memorable you know them even now)...

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I've seen this trailer 3x in theaters...if this makes more than $5M in its DOM OW, I'll eat my hat...and my boys loved this show years ago (although they loved it so much, they could only remember the lead dog's name, so you can see how well the show "sticks" vs something like "Dora" or "Blue's Clues" where every character and their names are just so memorable you know them even now)...

My daughter who is 4 can name every single Paw Patrol character. It was her favorite when she was 3, doesn't like it now though. She went as Marshall for Halloween last year.

My sister worked at a daycare a couple years ago and she always talks about the obsessive nature her kids had over this PAW Patrol. Whenever playtime occurred and she had to give out the PAW Patrol toys, it was the preschool equivalent of The Hunger Games :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

My daughter who is 4 can name every single Paw Patrol character. It was her favorite when she was 3, doesn't like it now though. She went as Marshall for Halloween last year.

That was 1 year:)...see, wait 3 or 4, she'll only remember Marshall (which was who my kids did remember) - they knew the look of a few others, but not the names:)...