charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

The volcano footage in Fire of Love is stunning, literally had me going "holy shit" the whole movie. The love story is pretty touching but I was just interested in the pretty lava footage. Also someone needed to give the narrator a glass of water. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

been watching Severance and only have one episode left and i'm a little baffled why it's rated so highly. like it's topped the metacritic list of best shows of 2022 over IMO some much better shows. this show is just the concept not a lot to it beyond that. unsure why this couldn't have just been a movie.

Well maybe the show may just not work for you it's probably just that.

Personally it was an 8.5/10 for me. Really slow at the start but it picks up.

The season finale is hands down one of the best episodes of TV this year.  And yeah it definitely gives us some nice reveals to part of the mystery. 

The thing that annoys me about Severance is that it's the main thing Ben Stiller is focusing on and I miss seeing him in movies. Apart from a cameo in Bros, I think the last film he was in was like Meyerowitz Stories. And that's over 5 years old! I know comedies don't exist anymore, and he'll probably be in some crappy Night at the Museum nostalgiaquel in a few years, but I want him in...something!

On 1/6/2023 at 1:23 PM, MOVIEGUY said:

The volcano footage in Fire of Love is stunning, literally had me going "holy shit" the whole movie. The love story is pretty touching but I was just interested in the pretty lava footage. Also someone needed to give the narrator a glass of water. 

I still loved the movie but the narration gets in the way of the sheer awe and beauty of the footage at times.

My Favourite New Discoveries from 2022 (older releases): https://boxd.it/jURKK

• The Abyss (Special Edition)
  • Assault on Precinct 13
  • eXistenZ
  • The Fog
  • Halloween II (2009, Director's Cut)
  • Inherent Vice
  • Inland Empire
  • Johnny Guitar
  • Meet Me in St. Louis
  • A New Leaf
  • Ocean's Eleven
  • Out of Sight
  • Out of the Blue
  • Paper Moon
  • Saint Jack
  • A Simple Plan
  • Spartan
  • Strange Days
  • Truck Turner
  • Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:08 PM, CoolioD1 said:

been watching Severance and only have one episode left and i'm a little baffled why it's rated so highly. like it's topped the metacritic list of best shows of 2022 over IMO some much better shows. this show is just the concept not a lot to it beyond that. unsure why this couldn't have just been a movie.

i liked andor a lot but i don't know how it out-ranked saul, the bear & barry on that list

Watched The Black Phone for the first time and it was good fun. 7/10, the kids did a good job (for the most part) and Ethan Hawke was actually quite menacing in some scenes. Also enjoyed the ending, that was fun!

Also rewatched John Wick 3 and gotta say, these fight scenes, while theyre amazing, go on for too long imo. After 4 minutes of constant shooting, my brain got somewhat numb. Still very entertaining, but i hope for a bit more of an enganging plot in John Wick 4.

7/10 as well, down from the 8 i gave it back when i watched it in theaters.

Finally watched Mass from 2021 with Reed Birney, Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, and Jason Isaacs last night. Anyone else seen it? Definitely has a "filmed version of a stage play" vibe to it but unlike most movies that usually come with that description, I'm not sure how one could justify taking a more "cinematic" approach to such a difficult subject in which there are never any easy answers. Excellent performances from all four actors who expertly convey the tremendous pain of these two couples. As long as we must endure unbearable tragedies such as Uvalde, movies like this will forever be timely and important.

been sick in bed so i've been watching a bunch of the old ass movies they got on BBC iPlayer right now as comfort viewing. North by northwest, king and i, cleopatra. having a good time.

also watched through Pachinko which is a fantastic show probably my favourite of last year. think it's being very underrated with the year end laurels i guess it's just underseen. it made me cry like 6 times lol. also every apple tv thing i've watched has apple store aesthetic.  

• Like 1

I went and saw The Whale this afternoon. Fraser and Chou are incredible and I think there's enough done well to counteract the negatives, but oof, that script is messy and Aronofsky can't help but give you plenty of "Well, that certainly was a choice" moments.

As a later edit to avoid a double post, I also watched Shallow Grave ahead of the debut of the Blank Check podcast’s series on Danny Boyle. Damn, Boyle came out of the gates swinging with a taut, dynamic thriller - and the dark humor hit well too.

Edited by Webslinger

Saw Missing in the afternoon yesterday. It's not nearly as effective as Searching was (John Cho deserved a Best Actor nomination for it over most of the actual Oscar nominees in that category, including the winner, that year) but it does almost as decent of a job of putting a creative and tense spin on a rote premise while successfully avoiding coming across as a gimmick and is grounded by strong performances from Storm Reid and Nia Long (even if the latter is understandably underused given the nature of the plot) even when things threaten to become goofy. I wouldn't mind if we ended up getting like a dozen of these.

Also finally got around to watching the first episode of The Last of Us last night. I had never played the games (though I had heard of them before) but must say that I'm instantly hooked. Excited for the rest of the season.

Watched The Fabelmans and Belly yesterday... two very different movies. Not sure how much I liked The Fabelmans, there were scenes I really liked and it has probably the best ending to any movie I've seen this year, but there were scenes and story elements I didn't care for all that much and overall found it a little too sentimental for my taste.

Belly is a two hour Hype Williams music video that I'm glad I was drunk for because it barely makes any sense anyways. Looks cool as hell though and DMX had tons of charisma and screen presence.

Went and caught Avatar: The Way of Water a third time theatrically this afternoon (second time in 3D). It's still an absolutely stunning theatrical experience.

In my mad dash to finish seeing all the possible Best Picture contenders I can before Tuesday's Oscar nomination announcements (I still have Aftersun ready to go and about half-an-hour of Triangle of Sadness to wrap up), I also watched All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix tonight. It's a sin that something this visually and aurally potent went to streaming. The character development could be sharper and there's a whole lot of symbolism that feels on-the-nose, but it looks spectacular and the combat sequences are as remarkably composed as they are unflinchingly brutal.

saw wandering earth ii with my girlfriend even though i never saw the first one, what a weird mess of a movie. felt like a wannabe emmerich film but there's so many contrived attempts at out-smarting the audience that it felt like it was trying to one-up westworld at the same time. it's apparently a prequel too? what, haha. gotta see the first one now.

Vengeance is a pretty lame "pretentious coastal elite learns valuable life lessons from simple Southern folk" story mixed with some clumsy attempts at Coen Brothers antics towards the end. Boyd Holbrook is the only good thing about it and Ashton Kutcher is very miscast. 

took some edibles and did a trip to the moon/house (1977) double feature - first time watch for both. really pair well together, almost feels like two different fever dreams perfectly realized on film. the thematic stuff for house surprised me especially - hiroshima stuff felt obvious, but was surprised by the amount of queer subtext and what it said about traditionalism and conservative expectations of marriage put on women. also just insanely hilarious, with incredibly elaborate sets & a killer soundtrack. loved it.