Eric Lasagna

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

50 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I've said before I know 3 people who've seen it. They were very complimentary of Kravitz saying it's her greatest performance and an undeniable star performance

Just from the trailers alone she and Pattinson are already exuding way better chemistry than Bale/Hathaway. Obviously Kravitz' performance will also need to stand on its own, but the sexual tension between them looks unreal which can only help.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TinaDuraes said:

Easy target? I say this with all sincerity, I have only ever seen praise for her. I feel like I'm alone disliking that woman. She has the charisma of a door knob.

There was a period in the early to mid 2010s when it seemed like it was cool to dunk on Anne Hathaway. Most people seemed fine with her Catwoman, though. I suppose she never managed to be as iconic as Michelle Pfiefer, but the movie doesn’t focus on her as much, and her performance is more subdued in general. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Just from the trailers alone she and Pattinson are already exuding way better chemistry than Bale/Hathaway. Obviously Kravitz' performance will also need to stand on its own, but the sexual tension between them looks unreal which can only help.

Yeah it’s nice that a blockbuster, let alone a superhero one, will actually have some sexuality. When was last time? Everything has been so sterile and asexual, lacking charisma and chemistry 

• Like 2

Anne Hathaway is a brilliant actress and she did the best she could with the material she had on the page. But let's be real - the material she had on the page was VERY weak. 

Zoe Kravitz's Selina Kyle seems to be one of the pillars of the story here. And Matt Reeves being a very character-driven director, will surely focus more on staying with the character and developing her instead of using her as a plot device to get Batman where he needs to be, conveniently.

When I come to think of it - I think Matt Reeves' character-driven qualities is what will beat Nolan's trilogy for me. Chris is a very narrative-driven director. It's always about the larger story for him. Everything needs to be globe-trotting and of epic-scale for him nowadays while characters are either nameless or just there to further the story. Reeves is the almost-opposite.

Even with a film called "WAR for the Planet of the Apes" - the film was actually about the state of War INSIDE Ceasar and his morals, and not the battle being fought on screen. I dig that shit and I think that is the direction the Batman IP needs. 

Edited by TrevorBelmont9078
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

TBH, TDK is a very good film, but I never really understood the way it got anointed as "Best superhero film ever." Reminds me of Empire Strikes Back, which I have a similar confusion about, despite greatly enjoying both films. 

TDK alongside Logan are some of the smartest and we'll acted comic book films and honestly there are the only ones Oscar worthy IMO and both really work well outside the genre.

TDK may not be the most batman like movie but it's get elements of the character and uses them to craft a great story .

Love batman 89, returns was good ,love the old Spiderman movies and MCU fims but they always fall in this weird "Duh it's a comic book movie " zone where some are campy, high suspension of disbelief at times,wacky plotlines at times that don't hold up by today's standards and yeah nostalgia

It's not like TDK  is perfect but having recently watched it , it really holds up pretty well and can really stand on its own as a movie without having to parrot the it's a comic book movie disclaimer.

Sure action is iffy but TDK  is gonna hold up pretty well alongside modern movie making  for a while.

Logan too.

My Top 5

1. TDK /spideverse .

3. GOTG

4.infinity war

5. Avengers

Batman ranking

TDK

Begins

Returns

TDKR

Batman Vs superman

Batman and robin

Haven't watched 66,phantasm and forever. Will get to watching phantasm ,Lego and 66 . Won't watch forever. 

Edited by Liiviig 1998

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

TDK alongside Logan are some of the smartest and we'll acted comic book films and honestly there are the only ones Oscar worthy IMO and both really work well outside the genre.

Working well outside of the genre has never mattered much to me. I don't see being a great comic-book film as being anything lesser than being a great crime drama or whatever. 

• Like 2

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Working well outside of the genre has never mattered much to me. I don't see being a great comic-book film as being anything lesser than being a great crime drama or whatever. 

Yeah, i don't see why keep bringing the genre down as something lesser. Movies doesn't need to feel / look / hold beyond their own genres to be excellent, why CBM need to do that?

Even TDK or Joker wouldn't work like they did if it wasn't for their roots on comic books. Yes, Joker have way bigger interests than the typical CBM movie, but still, part of the reason it's so good is because the character is very well known and have it's own weight and meaning, so yeah, when the audience see this character they known in that situation, the movie gain nuance without the need of build that from scratch. Similar things can be applied to TDK

To me seems just like a silly way of giving extra credit and add valie for those movies for doing something that is meaningless, and worse, that are questionable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TrevorBelmont9078 said:

When I come to think of it - I think Matt Reeves' character-driven qualities is what will beat Nolan's trilogy for me. Chris is a very narrative-driven director. It's always about the larger story for him. Everything needs to be globe-trotting and of epic-scale for him nowadays while characters are either nameless or just there to further the story. Reeves is the almost-opposite.

I think there was plenty of character work in the Nolan trilogy. Bruce has a pretty clear and well-done arc through the three movies. Though this aspect is why Begins is my favorite of the Batman films, I think the character work there is definitely better than the other two (TDK probably has the weakest of the trilogy, I found Dent's arc in that film kinda unconvincing, though Ledger is so damn good as the Joker that it mostly makes up for that). 

As far as Batman ranking that I have seen I will go:

Begins (great)

TDKR/TDK (really good)

BvS: Ultimate Edition (decent)

89 (ok)

66 (ok, though I watched it when I was very young so who knows)

BvS (bad but with some really neat parts)

B&R (just plain bad)

Expecting this to be 4th place minimum. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

Dark Knight

Batman 89

Mask of Phantasm

Batman 66

Batman Forever

Batman Begins

Batman Returns

The Dark Knight Rises

BVS

Batman and Robin

(Justice League)

Top 5 superhero comic book

The Dark Knight

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Endgame

Batman 89/Infinity War/X2/Captain America 1990 (toss up)

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dark Knight

Batman 89

Mask of Phantasm

Batman 66

Batman Forever

Batman Begins

Batman Returns

The Dark Knight Rises

BVS

Batman and Robin

(Justice League)

Top 5 superhero comic book

The Dark Knight

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Endgame

Batman 89/Infinity War/X2/Captain America 1990 (toss up)

That has to be the first time I've ever seen someone rank that one as one of their favorite superhero films (not judging as I haven't seen it). 

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

That has to be the first time I've ever seen someone rank that one as one of their favorite superhero films (not judging as I haven't seen it). 

Guilty pleasure, but I love it. It's a bad movie but one that's so endearingly and sincerely so. I think the corny, earnestness works in Cap's favor and payoffs in some genuinely emotional moments. And Italian (??!!!) Red Skull is so freaky

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

TDK is easily the best comic book movie of all time IMO.  That movie knocked me on my ass the first time I saw it.  Still has incredible replay value 14 years later. 

it is for sure. definitely no.1 its also one of the best crime dramas ever made, right up there with godfather and goodfellas. Marvel havent made a culturally relevant film that transcends the genre.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 5

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Returns 
  3. Batman 89
  4. Batman Begins
  5. Batman 66
  6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  7. The Dark Knight Rises 
  8. Batman and Robin 
  9. Batman Forever
  10. Batman vs. Superman

Re-watched all the Burton and Schumacher films a couple weeks ago, then watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time the other day. Can't really say I hate any of the bottom 3 films. BvS is just a middling 2.5/5, while the Schumacher flicks are extremely enjoyable comedies I love to drunk-watch. They've definitely grown on me the past couple of years.

Edited by Rorschach