Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

‘The Flash’ Movie Cinematographer Teases “Massive” Scope and Complex Storytelling

There is as much secrecy surrounding The Flash movie as there is anticipation, and that’s saying something. This DC Comics adaptation has been years in the making, with various directors and screenwriters coming and going before Warner Bros. tapped It filmmaker Andy Muschietti to take the helm and finally make The Flash a reality. Ezra Miller stars in this standalone installment, we know that much, but one of the most exciting aspects of The Flash is that the film will delve deeply into the idea of the multiverse, with Michael Keaton and Ben Affleck confirmed to reprise their roles as Batman from their two very different franchises. Add on top of that the fact that the film will also introduce Sasha Calle as a new Supergirl, and there’s a lot going on in this movie besides just watching Ezra Miller run fast.

I recently got the chance to speak with cinematographer Henry Braham for an exclusive interview about his excellent work on another DC movie, The Suicide Squad, and during our conversation I asked him about his work on The Flash given that the film is currently in production. While Braham was tight-lipped, he echoed comments he made about The Suicide Squad being compelling as a movie first and foremost, and not just a “superhero movie”:

“[The Flash is] going great. I mean, it's a complex movie, and it's a fantastic concept of bringing in the generations of these kind of comic books. Again, it's not really a comic book movie. It's not based in reality, but it’s a much more kind of technically complex — I think all the filmmakers are really keen that the technical complexity of the storytelling doesn't get in the way of just good quality filmmaking. Hopefully, I don't think it'll ever come across as a superhero movie. It will come across as a movie, and that's what it is. I think that's the way these things need to go. We need to be making great, great, great films that happen to have superheroes who have truthful characters behind them, with all the character flaws that we find in humanity.”

While Braham declined to discuss the film’s tone, he did talk about working with Keaton and the rest of the cast, and teased the film’s large scope:

“It's a pleasure working with the cast, as they're fantastic. Michael, of course, is a genius, and it's wonderful to see him recreate that role but in the present day. It’s wonderful. I think the movie has a massive scope, and I'm lucky to be able to work on movies I'd like to go and see. I'm not really interested in comic book movies. I'm interested in movies that take me on a journey, an emotional journey and a visual journey.”

The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 cinematographer also spoke briefly about the technological challenge of showcasing The Flash’s powers, which we’ve now seen a couple of different ways between the theatrical cut of Justice League and The Snyder Cut. But for Braham and the filmmakers behind The Flash movie, their goal is for the audience to forget about the technology and get wrapped up in the story:

“I think it can be beautiful, and it can be emotional. On the one hand, you have the kind of technical thing of when, what, and how. But it's like all filmmaking, it's about kind figuring out an idea so that you don't really think about it. You don't think, ‘Oh.’ It becomes a natural part of the storytelling, so yeah. It’s fairly enjoyable, and fun to do.”

A lot of comic book movies coming soon dealing with multiverse concepts, both Marvel and DC movies alike. The next couple of years are certainly gonna be interesting. I just hope this movie turns out to be good, maybe a lesser version of Into the Spiderverse but still a really solid movie.

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

A lot of comic book movies coming soon dealing with multiverse concepts, both Marvel and DC movies alike. The next couple of years are certainly gonna be interesting. I just hope this movie turns out to be good, maybe a lesser version of Into the Spiderverse but still a really solid movie.

DC is working with multiverse through the entire last decade on series and animated movies, and now in cinemas with films like Joker and The Batman which are placed on different earths. This is more comparable with Flashpoint Paradox (2011).

13 minutes ago, belblazer said:

DC is working with multiverse through the entire last decade on series and animated movies, and now in cinemas with films like Joker and The Batman which are placed on different earths. This is more comparable with Flashpoint Paradox (2011).

lol  lets be honest The Joker and The Batman are separate movies that are being called multiverse because it sounds better than the alternative

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

lol  lets be honest The Joker and The Batman are separate movies that are being called multiverse because it sounds better than the alternative

It's placed on another earth, so it's obviously separated lol Barry don't have to meet Battinson for the people to know that.

DC has always worked like this.

It's clear once again that these two comic book corporations are competing on a grand scale -- they are both pursuing overall similar narrative/thematic threads at the same time for their cinematic "universes."  

HBOMax recently rebranded all their DC content with the "Multiverse" moniker, as well. 

"Explore the DC Multiverse."  

Edited by Macleod

WynterCon is confirming that Herry Lennix's (Martian Manhunter) Stunt Double was indeed present at the filming of The Flash.

I feel like this will start with a big Justice League team-up scene just like the Flashpoint Paradox movie. I believe that we will see Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Shazam and Martian Manhunter (maybe more like Atom and Mera) as an stablished JL.

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why dont they consider Green Lantern. Despite Reynolds' ill fated movie, its very popular character. Could have casted someone as John Stewart. 

They’re working on a (big budget)green lantern TV show for hbomax and it’s supposed to

tie into a green lantern movie that’s in development for theatrical release. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Assuming Martian Manhunter is not only in this, but is also a member of the Justice League, would that mean we’re supposed to take ZSJL as canon?

It's definitively canon.

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why dont they consider Green Lantern. Despite Reynolds' ill fated movie, its very popular character. Could have casted someone as John Stewart. 

Who knows if one of the Lanterns on the HBO Max show will show up on this? No one knows nothing about this movie and this is very good. There will be a lot of surprises.

20 hours ago, belblazer said:

WynterCon is confirming that Herry Lennix's (Martian Manhunter) Stunt Double was indeed present at the filming of The Flash.

I feel like this will start with a big Justice League team-up scene just like the Flashpoint Paradox movie. I believe that we will see Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Shazam and Martian Manhunter (maybe more like Atom and Mera) as an stablished JL.

My bet is that you won't see these two, as they both have their own direct sequels in the pipeline/set to be released not long after this, and of course narratively, at least, Shazam hasn't met any of these folks, yet.  All the rest of the prime member cameos have been rumored for a while, yes.  I could see an opening scene team-up with the rest to start the movie off with a bang. 

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

My bet is that you won't see these two, as they both have their own direct sequels in the pipeline/set to be released not long after this, and of course narratively, at least, Shazam hasn't met any of these folks, yet.  All the rest of the prime member cameos have been rumored for a while, yes.  I could see an opening scene team-up with the rest to start the movie off with a bang. 

Shazam met Superman. They can simply say that Sups asked him to join the League.

And about Aquaman, his movie is currently filming on the same studio as The Flash. Wouldn't be difficult to put Momoa here.