Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

*reads through the last 12 pages of thread*

*wonders about Life Choices Made that led to this point*

Look, I get there's a LOT of thread crapping going on in this thread (I don't even want to imagine how many posts have been hidden), but I do want to point out a few things.

1] This is gonna be one of the better reviewed DCEU films by pure RT score.  Especially in the Major Plot Point Division

2] The GA, by and large, isn't gonna care if it isn't actually at Nolan-level "one of the best CBMs ever".

3] A mid-60s to high-70s RT score is gonna be A Perfectly Cromulent Score when all is said and done.

Not amazing, but not terrible.  No, really.  It's not a bad RT score.  At all.

Do have some choice comments about how Some Of Y'all are acting today, but in the end, I realize that It Isn't Helpful.

Film is getting Good, but not Stellar reviews.  Nothing else really matters.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I'm still thinking the Flash pulls a 3x multi (behind a $80M OW) 

Probably gets a solid A cinemascore

Critics are just tired of most CBMs 

Maybe this is just me Being An Old, but having critics not go bonkers for a Summer Popcorn Flick is, like, what I expect.  Critics giving very positive reviews to many CBMs the last decade plus was the anomaly for me.

To put it a different way, I grew up on critics shitting all over Popular Summer Entertainment, so them allegedly getting tired of CBMs doesn't really say much to me.

Well, except phrases like "everything old is new again" or "history repeats" or "all this has happened before and well happen again" or whatever phrase one wishes to use.

As I said a few moments ago, the RT Score really is Good Enough™.  At least, IMO.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

WarnerBros seem to be touting a 4/5 from Empire (the actual review doesn't seem to have been published yet) so there's a chance it could go up to green on MC pretty soon lol.

EDIT: oh and also the "ELECTRIFYING" quote from GamesRadar in the text is funny since the actual review was a 3/5.

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 5

I think the thing is, it's more the context of the RT score in regards to tracking. If tracking was better for this and was looking at more lets say 90-120, then yeah this RT score'd be good enough. It'd guarantee a 2.5-2.7x multiplier and get it to about where it'd have to get to. Except instead tracking is looking at like 70-90 million and a 2.5x-2.7x multiplier with that kind of opening for this kind of movie isn't that great. 

• Like 3

Critics often don't even align with general audiences.  If critics say it's "ok, whatever" pretty much what they said about Super Mario, the general audience could turn around and say "actually,  it's really awesome"  

People get too up and too down on RT score all the time.  Nobody is looking at Mario (or a lot of other movies if you don't like that example) and saying "yeah but it got 59% and ended up being rotten."   Nobody cares about that.  It was reviewed as an "ok" movie and audiences said it's fantastic.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe this is just me Being An Old, but having critics not go bonkers for a Summer Popcorn Flick is, like, what I expect.  Critics giving very positive reviews to many CBMs the last decade plus was the anomaly for me.

To put it a different way, I grew up on critics shitting all over Popular Summer Entertainment, so them allegedly getting tired of CBMs doesn't really say much to me.

Well, except phrases like "everything old is new again" or "history repeats" or "all this has happened before and well happen again" or whatever phrase one wishes to use.

As I said a few moments ago, the RT Score really is Good Enough™.  At least, IMO.

Thank you, someone said it. Like for a long time, you'd basically accept that a bunch of the top grossing movies of any given year would be rotten. That is not anomalous, that is basically normal. 

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Critics often don't even align with general audiences. 

This is patently false and untrue.

Look at the top 10 domestic last year correlating with RT/MC scores from critics and audiences

1. Top Gun- 96/ (99%

2. Avatar- 76 (92%

3. Black Panther- 84 (94%

4. Doctor Strange- 74 (85%

5. Jurassic World- 29 (77%

6. Minions- 70 (89%

7. Batman- 85 (87%

8. Thor- 63 (77%

9. Sonic- 69 (96%

10. Puss in Boots- 95 (94%

Only 1 rotten film with Jurassic World (and frankly, the 77% RT audience score is rather low), which was a success due to its built-in audience and nostalgia.

The idea there's this major disparity between critics and audiences is laughably reactionary

• Like 10

It's not a terrviel reception, but, not exactly the kind the hype had built us up to expect/

Of course thei thread had the usual suspects, the disgruntled DC fanboys angry that the critics did not rave about the film, , the Supporters of  a Certain Driector who tries to shit on every bloxkbuster film not made by that Director, (one of these has changed his name so to get around ignore lists..cute), etc.

Film will do fairly well at the box office, but fairly well might not be nough given how much this thng costs.

And, lets' facei it, as far a Multiverse based films goes, Spidey Across the Multliverse is one hell of an act to follow.

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The idea there's this major disparity between critics and audiences is laughably reactionary

Did I say "all" in my post?  Show me where I said "all" or "always" and you'd have a point.  Super Mario is 59% with critics and 95% with audiences. 

Fast X is 56% with critics and 85% with audiences.  

It happens. 

• Haha 1

Did I say "all" in my post?  Show me where I said "all" or "always" and you'd have a point.  Super Mario is 59% with critics and 95% with audiences. 

It happens. 

Fast X also is having awful drops domestically. It's not like beloved here.

• Like 6

Very objective reviews once again from critics.

They think they are "activists" pretending to be journalists.

But only the fans do "review bombing". LOL

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Fast X also is having awful drops domestically. It's not like beloved here.

It's already over $600M at the box office.  But yes, please tell me how "nobody was interested"  when a lot of films would die to get to $700-$750M worldwide. 

• Like 1

It's already over $600M at the box office.  But yes, please tell me how "nobody was interested"  when a lot of films would die to get to $700-$750M worldwide. 

I never said nobody was interested, you brought it up as an example of general audiences liking films which the critics didn't and Fast X is absolutely not a good example of that for the reason I brought up.

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This is patently false and untrue.

Look at the top 10 domestic last year correlating with RT/MC scores from critics and audiences

1. Top Gun- 96/ (99%

2. Avatar- 76 (92%

3. Black Panther- 84 (94%

4. Doctor Strange- 74 (85%

5. Jurassic World- 29 (77%

6. Minions- 70 (89%

7. Batman- 85 (87%

8. Thor- 63 (77%

9. Sonic- 69 (96%

10. Puss in Boots- 95 (94%

Only 1 rotten film with Jurassic World (and frankly, the 77% RT audience score is rather low), which was a success due to its built-in audience and nostalgia.

One of the worse things about fandom is how the "How Dare Anybody Not LIke The Things I Like" attitude has taken over.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It happens. 

You said most often, which again untrue and statistically wrong

Lol.. once again, Mario is an IP and a fan driven film for families which therefore is going to defy critics.

Also, it's only June and Fast X is a franchise film like Jurassic World. Plus, it obviously clearly isn't going to finish anywhere near the top 10 of the year. If anything, the diminishing returns of the franchise proves my point and proves you are wrong. Audiences and critics are consistently aligned. Just accept it

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1