Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That would be a big mistake imho. In fact the one thing I truly dislike about the current James Gunn’s roadmap is Green Lantern as Max tv show. It doesn’t make sense to me that they have a Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow film announced and no Green Lantern in sight as a full blown film. It has been what, 12 years since that failed Ryan Reynolds film? Andor’s Tony Gilroy just revealed the reason why that series looks as good as it does and if you won’t invest massively on a Green Lantern show, making it subpar and including it on your new DC Universe isn’t the way to go. Making Peacemaker and Waller is one thing since it’s grounded a lot in the real world, making Green Lantern is just on a different level, or at least it should be.

What the DC Universe needs is a clear and structured 5 year plan that is more focused at the film side of things than whatever is the name of the current WB app. Superman Legacy and Brave and the Bold look both very promising, but we need more.

On the other hand, sticking to a plan that was not working is what got DC in this mess in the first place. I still think the scheduling the start of JL filming less then six weeks after BvS opened...giving them no time to make changes based on how BvS was received was just plain stupid.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

Let’s say the WW opening does hit $160M. Best case scenario IMO is right around Quantumania WW. That would be basically 3x.

Worst case scenario is maybe…. 320? Around there 😕 

Even if it does better than projections and opens up at 175 and has a 3x multiplier that only gives it around 525 million, which is not good either since it needs around 530 million to break even.

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

idk why the GL show would be low budget? That and Paradise Lost will probably be Max's most expensive non-HBO productions. The GL movie solidified the property as something like Daredevil, where it would work better on TV and if this under-performs even with Batman in it then I don't see why it wouldn't follow the same fate.

Speaking of GL, the big reddit leak that accurately got Supergirl's writer and the members of the authority who'll be in Superman also said Lindelof is doing GL, which (before the Lost expose) would have meant that it was gonna be a high priority show. I can't really see him being involved with it now though, but at least they're aiming high.

I’m not saying it will be low budget to current standards. What I’m saying is that Tony Gilroy’s Andor wouldn’t be made today with the budget it had back when it was approved, and that’s the minimum I could see for a visually stunning Green Lantern series. I’m talking about this:

Looking back, Gilroy sees Andor as a minor miracle. Given its steep cost (estimated at $250 million), franchise-expanding tone, and intensive mix of practical and special effects, it probably never would have been greenlit earlier — and probably wouldn’t be ordered now, either. 

We got lucky making this during the gold rush a few years ago. A lot of people now have cold feet, and you can’t do this show inexpensively,” says Gilroy. “I’m just so relieved at the reaction because we were making this huge, obscure thing and we knew it was crazy. Like, ‘Is this too much? Have we gone too far?’ There were no focus groups or test audiences. Now it will be good if we can stick the landing and go out strong.

The point I’m trying to come across is that the streaming market place isn’t the same of when all those crazy projects got approved. I’m not sure how you make a Green Lantern film stand out, but I think that enough time has passed so we can have Hal Jordan, John Stewart or even Jessica Cruz leading a Green Lantern Corps film. With Disney+ moving to a more case by case approach with their MCU projects, it would be wise from DC Studios to pay attention to that as well. 

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

On the other hand, sticking to a plan that was not working is what got DC in this mess in the first place. I still think the scheduling the start of JL filming less then six weeks after BvS opened...giving them no time to make changes based on how BvS was received was just plain stupid.

My point exactly. Adapt to the current market landscape. First make Superman Legacy, Peacemaker Season 2 and Waller are next from Gunn per himself on the Michael Rosenbaum podcast. Make Brave and the Bold with the Muschiettis, and adapt to the current market landscape accordingly, if the budget for tv shows are too tight, there is no reason to not try and figure it out how to make that into a film.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not saying it will be low budget to current standards. What I’m saying is that Tony Gilroy’s Andor wouldn’t be made today with the budget it had back when it was approved, and that’s the minimum I could see for a visually stunning Green Lantern series. I’m talking about this:

The point I’m trying to come across is that the streaming market place isn’t the same of when all those crazy projects got approved. I’m not sure how you make a Green Lantern film stand out, but I think that enough time has passed so we can have Hal Jordan, John Stewart or even Jessica Cruz leading a Green Lantern Corps film. With Disney+ moving to a more case by case approach with their MCU projects, it would be wise from DC Studios to pay attention to that as well. 

My point exactly. Adapt to the current market landscape. First make Superman Legacy, Peacemaker Season 2 and Waller are next from Gunn per himself on the Michael Rosenbaum podcast. Make Brave and the Bold with the Muschiettis, and adapt to the current market landscape accordingly, if the budget for tv shows are too tight, there is no reason to not try and figure it out how to make that into a film.

I loved ANDOR, but 250 Million for one season of a TV show..be it broadcast or streaming...just does not make economic sense.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I loved ANDOR, but 250 Million for one season of a TV show..be it broadcast or streaming...just does not make economic sense.

I mean, it doesn’t look like a tv show, it’s arguably the most beautiful and impressive tv show I’ve ever seen. Hence why I think adapting to the market it’s important. Making a Daredevil, Peacemaker or Waller tv show seems rather different than making a Green Lantern show in my mind.

• Like 1

This is kinda off topic when it comes to The Flash, but I’d highly recommend it for those interested on the DC Universe moving forward. It goes very in depth with the road that led James Gunn from the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy to head of the DC Studios. Also it clears something up that I don’t think a lot of people are paying attention and it might come into play when Blue Beetle’s promotion cycle starts: Blue Beetle is confirmed as the first character in the new DC Universe.

I’m actually way more interested on Blue Beetle now than I ever was before. Kinda bold to call it part of the DCU moving forward. Here is a clip of that:

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

This is kinda off topic when it comes to The Flash, but I’d highly recommend it for those interested on the DC Universe moving forward. It goes very in depth with the road that led James Gunn from the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy to head of the DC Studios. Also it clears something up that I don’t think a lot of people are paying attention and it might come into play when Blue Beetle’s promotion cycle starts: Blue Beetle is confirmed as the first character in the new DC Universe.

I’m actually way more interested on Blue Beetle now than I ever was before. Kinda bold to call it part of the DCU moving forward. Here is a clip of that:

I'm sure he's going to conveniently forget this interview after BB fails to make a profit 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cooldude97 said:

I'm sure he's going to conveniently forget this interview after BB fails to make a profit 

Yeah, that movie's only hope is capturing the Latino audience but even then idk if they'll reach it. Because outside of that, it legitimately has nothing going for it

Just now, cooldude97 said:

That’s just not how Gunn rolls. If he is saying that Blue Beetle is the first DCU character, then he is our first DCU character. Also despite his constant praise to The Flash, calling Blue Beetle our first DCU characters is at a whole different level in my opinion. Even if it’s their The Incredible Hulk instead of their Iron Man, color me intrigued with Blue Beetle right now. More interested on that now than I ever was before.

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

What's the point in Aquaman 2 existing if BB then Superman are the new DCU movies?

The fact Aquaman 2 stands a decent chance at actually making money. 

27 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s just not how Gunn rolls. If he is saying that Blue Beetle is the first DCU character, then he is our first DCU character. Also despite his constant praise to The Flash, calling Blue Beetle our first DCU characters is at a whole different level in my opinion. Even if it’s their The Incredible Hulk instead of their Iron Man, color me intrigued with Blue Beetle right now. More interested on that now than I ever was before.

How exactly does he roll? 

5 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

What's the point in Aquaman 2 existing if BB then Superman are the new DCU movies?

Film was delayed like crazy. Not sure what is the future of the Aquaman franchise, but if that rumored Lobo project it’s true, I’d argue that was the role that Momoa was always born to play. Could work with him being the actual heavy for a Superman film too.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

How exactly does he roll? 

See how much he didn’t gave up on Ravagers for the Guardians, Vol. 3, for example. They could never be mentioned again, but at one point after vol. 2 Gunn would be responsible for developing the cosmic side of Marvel even further, with a possible Ravagers spin-off potentially in the plans.

Sure, Blue Beetle could be critically panned and we never see him ever again. But the trailer for that film gives you a good idea that a) Batman exists in this world, which makes sense since they are going with a Batman with a kid angle for Brave and the Bold and b) superheroes were a thing in this world as well, what with the Ted Kord suit on the background and whatnot.

Overseas projections don't look great.  Well,  whatever they make from this is better than the "zero" it was looking like last year.  For anyone who says "they were never cancelling the project"  I don't believe that at all.  Ezra Miller was one more story away from sinking it completely. 

Time to cut their losses,  Superman is coming with James Gunn. If that has a dope trailer then they can start ramping up the buzz. 

The Batman 2 and Joker 2 should both be money makers as well. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

But then what is Peacemaker?

Just now, BluKyberCrystal said:

But then what is Peacemaker?

A TV show? Oh do you mean if it’s set in the DC Universe? Yeah you do have a point. My understanding is that it’s… kinda? If this Flash film resets the DC and this version of Flash and Aquaman aren’t part of the new DCU, my understanding is that the Suicide Squad section of the universe is part of the DC Universe, but how that is going to work and this version of the Flash and Aquaman are part of that I wouldn’t know lol. Yeah it’s a mess, but at least is nice to know that Blue Beetle is part of the new DC Universe.

• Like 1