Eric Atreides

Spencer | November 5, 2021 | NEON | Kristen Stewart is Princess Diana

On 10/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, Valonqar said:

Excellent counter-programming. Is it gonna be wide or limited? They didn't specify. 

I'm wondering this too. I'm guessing it won't go wide. Even the most premium platform releases are struggling to make money. Still a long way to go for these films.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I see. Thanks! :)

Disregard what I said from the Numbers website.

Just written article from the Wrap

This year, things are different. Kenneth Branagh’s acclaimed “Belfast” became an immediate frontrunner as the winner of the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival’s often-predictive Audience Award. In the past, a platform release for the sensitive black-and-white period film would certainly follow. This year, Focus is expected to open in at least 500 theaters on November 12. Neon’s “Spencer,” starring Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana, is expected to open in about 1,500 theaters November 5 per exhibition sources.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/belfast-spencer-oscar-contenders-open-big-vod-1234671418/

Edited by Ronin46

31 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Disregard what I said from the Numbers website.

Just written article from the Wrap

This year, things are different. Kenneth Branagh’s acclaimed “Belfast” became an immediate frontrunner as the winner of the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival’s often-predictive Audience Award. In the past, a platform release for the sensitive black-and-white period film would certainly follow. This year, Focus is expected to open in at least 500 theaters on November 12. Neon’s “Spencer,” starring Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana, is expected to open in about 1,500 theaters November 5 per exhibition sources.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/belfast-spencer-oscar-contenders-open-big-vod-1234671418/

Hmm...opening wide against Eternals. Interesting.

Kristen nails the role physically. Hope the story is balanced and is not a hagiography of Diana (i.e. Diana = perfect but always depressed; everyone else = bad and just have it out for Diana). Either way, Kristen's striking similarity makes me want to see this film. 

I listened to the Telegraph Twitter space on this earlier and the way Robbie Collin described it sold it to me immediately. 

They’re not having factual moments or going the usual careful biopic route. They have waking dreams included and free reign to investigate her vs her public persona. Hyped. 

BoReport

NEON & Topic Studios will release Spencer in 996 locations this weekend.

Down from the 1500 indicated a few weeks ago.

Apologies as someone else had posted this in the tracking thread already.

Edited by Ronin46
already been posted

I liked the film, but I didn’t love it. Stewart is amazing though. The score is perfect. There’s something off with the supporting characters, but I can see this bombing on box office, especially since Neon cut down the number of theaters. But when it comes to Oscars - it’s her or Jessica Chastain. 

• Like 1