Eric Duncan

Disney+ MCU: Ms. Marvel | June 8 2022 | Directors include Adil El Arbi, Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon

On 3/16/2022 at 1:40 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Also shout out to Never Have I Ever

Saw a couple episodes of that and I hope it is nothing like that (and as someone from the same part of India as the main character, I found the way they deal with her Indian identity to be especially bad and whitewashed af). 

16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Saw a couple episodes of that and I hope it is nothing like that (and as someone from the same part of India as the main character, I found the way they deal with her Indian identity to be especially bad and whitewashed af). 

The first few episodes basically serve to build a familiar high school/coming of age John Hughesian setting. The culture clash starts getting explored later on. 

Of course, Kamala is a far more straight-laced character than NHIE's Devi unless they are seriously switching things up for the show. 

5 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

As an Indian American I didn't find Never Have I Ever to be whitewashed, but I have only watched scattered episodes and not the full show.

I'm not American (although I am an Indian immigrant who grew up in a mostly white community), and I don't really care about the stuff about her being an Indian American specifically, but I did not believe for a second that she's Tamil. Her family could be anywhere from India. Just the fact that the mom never uttered a word of Tamil (which the actress playing the mom can speak), even when telling the main character off, took me out. There's none of that specificity that I feel is needed for proper Indian representation. Asiz Ansari's Master of None captured the aspect of being a Tamil immigrant 100x better.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not American (although I am an Indian immigrant who grew up in a mostly white community), and I don't really care about the stuff about her being an Indian American specifically, but I did not believe for a second that she's Tamil. Her family could be anywhere from India. Just the fact that the mom never uttered a word of Tamil (which the actress playing the mom can speak), even when telling the main character off, took me out. There's none of that specificity that I feel is needed for proper Indian representation. Asiz Ansari's Master of None captured the aspect of being a Tamil immigrant 100x better.

My dad is Tamil and we never spoke it at home. Different people have different experiences. 

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're telling me you never heard your dad speak a single bit of tamil your whole childhood? 

Not to me. When talking to grandparents/relatives in India, yes. Though now that I think of it, I do vaguely recall that there was a cousin from India who appeared in the show, so yeah it is strange for the mom not to speak to her in Tamil. 

Though I looked up reviews and apparently the mom and cousin do use Tamil later on in the show. I don't remember it well enough to say. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

I will burn down this entire board and all of the internet If I hear one negative word about her. Omg. She’s perfect. And precious. And I am so happy for her I could cry. 

Also is Sarah Finn a wizard? Because I’m pretty convinced that she just like grabs the actual characters from some Multiverse dimension, gives them a fake name, and says “Look we found our new Marvel Superhero!!” 

• Like 3

If it's set in New Jersey, and Ms Marvel is slated to become one of Carol Danvers Marvellites....I suspect there will be a few references to  "Ths Fairview Incident".  The MCU sort of works that way.

Edited by dudalb

Checked out some YouTube reviews.

Positives

Kamala khan
Visual style
Culture and family.

Most comparing it to hawkeye.

Possible Negatives
- very tailored to teen demographic so may not work for some.
- visual style can still divide some.

Enjoyed hawkeye and it was fun, enjoyed the chemistry btn bishop and burton,it didn't take itself too seriously so kind of more excited for this  but nonetheless still my least antipated mcu show.