Eric Loves Rey

Disney+ MCU: Ms. Marvel | June 8 2022 | Directors include Adil El Arbi, Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon

I wanted to add something to the subject of representation in general because I feel like it's meaningful. My random thoughts, if you will.

Basically, lots of people associate the benefits of representation to the fact that a subset of people can see themselves in a popular character. For instance, here in Ms.Marvel teenage brown muslim girls can see themselves in Kamala and relate to her because of the similarities in their life stories, which is great. Representation matters because of that.

But I think there's another reason representation matters: it matters because it makes it so everyone else can relate to that character too and better understand their plights. A 30's white francophone atheist guy like me can thus watch Kamala Khan and find her relatable because of who she is and not what she is, and see the world through her lens.

Representation matters because the more diverse stories starring characters from all backgrounds there are out there, the more viewers from all sorts of backgrounds will have the opportunity to relate and look up to those diverse characters. And it brings more awareness to their plights. So, diverse representation brings relatability, relatability brings empathy, and empathy, I think, helps the most in creating a world free of bigotry.

Thanks for reading my TED Writes

Edited by Daxtreme
spelling is hard apparently
  • Like 4

I mean if people are interested in both shows on the same day...they'll just watch both shows on the same day. Some are busier than others, yeah, but I don't think it's all that hard to pencil in two hours out of your day to watch both episodes. Also, Obi-Wan is a show that skews older towards fans nostalgic of the prequel trilogy while Ms. Marvel skews younger. There's crossover sure, but not an exact audience demo. And it's not like people can't still follow Twitter trends and hashtags, even if they're not in the Trending tab.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, Eric Lightyear said:

I mean if people are interested in both shows on the same day...they'll just watch both shows on the same day. Some are busier than others, yeah, but I don't think it's all that hard to pencil in two hours out of your day to watch both episodes. Also, Obi-Wan is a show that skews older towards fans nostalgic of the prequel trilogy while Ms. Marvel skews younger. There's crossover sure, but not an exact audience demo. And it's not like people can't still follow Twitter trends and hashtags, even if they're not in the Trending tab.

It's more like why would I be spending another hour after the latest Kenobi episode watching another show when I can savor what I watched re Kenobi and check what people are talking about it online and be a part of those discussions in real time instead?

I think there are other factors too, like Ms. Marvel being the next MCU show after Moon Knight which IMO didn't really pay off, at least not as a one episode a week show (maybe it's more enjoyable as a binge), and Ms. Marvel having "lower stakes", not making it an "event viewing" or an instant watch, but I feel Kenobi is affecting its viewership considerably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somebody on Twitter last week made the Marty McFly comp to Bruno's look and this week, some Enchantment Under the Sea echoing. 

Spoiler

Last week I thought Kamran calling him "Brian" was an intentional insult, but now I think he truly doesn't remember his name...which is funny.

That cover band's name was brilliant. 

I havent seen episode 3 yet so this is for episode 2. This show is quickly becoming my favourite of the MCU shows (WandaVision still edges it out). Kamala is amazing and endlessly charming. Nakia shines in this episode and Bruno was so cute when he was all jealous. The family dynamic and the culture (which I am glad the showrunners are fully embracing and not afraid of showing it) continues to be one of the best part of the show. 

Also one of my current fav song (Peechay Hut from Coke studio) was the credit song. I was soooo pleasantly surprised to hear that when the credits rolled. 

PS: Coke Studio has some amazing desi songs if you are into South Asian music

Also was happy to see a Ritviz (an indie Indian singer) song make it into the episode (around 22 minute mark when Kamala goes for her driving lesson). It's another good song.

IT's really things like these which connect to me on a personal level that makes this show so special for me. I hope the show continues to be this small level and charming. 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, Eric Presley said:

For young people maybe, but this is simply not true for a loooooot of people. For example I love these shows (MCU, DC, SW, The Boys, Stranger Things, these kinda shows) and I am sooo behind that I don't think I will ever be able to watch all of them. Worst part is I am continually falling behing. I have yet to see Obi Wan and I saw episode 2 of this after a week. 

2 hours a day is a lot when there is work and household things and family to allocate time to as well. 

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why are so many dumbfucks turning this show into a culture war? Not just the bigots, but also the idiots making the lack of interest in this show seem like a race issue (which it isn't).

From what I have seen on Reddit, Twitter, IMDB, etc its mostly

1) Indians (I am Indian too btw) who are against this simply because its Pakistani and we are by now culturally trained to hate anything to do with Pakistan (especially in the last 8 years). Lots of the downvoting on IMDB and negative twitter comments are by Indians.

2) Conservatives. And by conservatives I mean Muslim conservatives especially from Pakistan. This was expected since these people would have gotten upset at anything less than a traditional pious Islamic portrayal. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why are so many dumbfucks turning this show into a culture war? Not just the bigots, but also the idiots making the lack of interest in this show seem like a race issue (which it isn't).

The funny thing is the show has increased viewership across all demos except old white

Tho again that's the demo most likely to tune into Obi-Wan so it doesn't need to be "lack of interest due to racism"

Edited by Spidey Freak

I would also remind folks that this, other than Moon Knight**, this is really the first show that doesn’t have an existing Avenger in the show. While Kamala is INCREDIBLY popular in the comics, she doesn’t exactly have the crossover awareness of Miles Morales. 

There might not be the rush factor there. And there is no spoiler/cameo/crossover/puzzle box hook driving reddit crazy with this one. 

I think there is still room to grow. And I still think they released this too early. Should’ve been closer to The Marvels. So people could be thinking I will wait to watch it until I have to. 

** And Moon Knight was pulling in eyeballs cause the internet wants to fuck Oscar Issacs. No more, no less. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The funny thing is the show has increased viewership across all demos except old white

Tho again that's the demo most likely to tune into Obi-Wan so it doesn't need to be "lack of interest due to racism"

It's a given that show marketed as the "first Muslim superhero show" will attract Muslims (who are usually not white) and maybe other minority races. But the difference in race demo percentages from the usual Marvel show is likely in the single digits. A large percentage of Asian, Black, and Hispanic people that showed up for something like Loki likely didn't show up for this too. There's no reason for stupid generalized comments like this:

unknown.png

where no critical thinking seems to be involved and is just trying to create more division. It's also just more bait for the bigots too.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

Spoiler

I didn't really like the djinn parts, seems poorly developed so far. We will see if they make it better in future episodes. I just want to hear the word "Inhuman."

Also her parents really underreact at the end. 

Overall still enjoyed the episode, series remains pretty charming. 

• Like 1

It's funny to think that comparing Moon Knight episode 3 action with this episode, this has the more solid action, you would think it should be the opposite.

That blue arm is clearly a Kree, they are most likely going to attach Kamala to the Krees even if she ends not being an inhuman... It would explain how she ends teaming-up randomly with Carol as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:
  Hide contents

I didn't really like the djinn parts, seems poorly developed so far. We will see if they make it better in future episodes. I just want to hear the word "Inhuman."

Also her parents really underreact at the end. 

Overall still enjoyed the episode, series remains pretty charming. 

Spoiler

I was pretty convinced she was gonna say inhumans  So I also agree this was kind of a weird moment for me. But I wonder, and I’m probably overthinking, if they didn’t like the optics of that name  

Or maybe Kevin is just forever a petty bitch, and will refuse to ever say that word again because it’s a PTSD trigger for him having to deal with Ike

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's a given that show marketed as the "first Muslim superhero show" will attract Muslims (who are usually not white) and maybe other minority races. But the difference in race demo percentages from the usual Marvel show is likely in the single digits. A large percentage of Asian, Black, and Hispanic people that showed up for something like Loki likely didn't show up for this too. There's no reason for stupid generalized comments like this:

unknown.png

where no critical thinking seems to be involved and is just trying to create more division. It's also just more bait for the bigots too.

Notice the key word that everyone keeps ignoring in that fandom post, RATE.  Lets say every other Marvel Show is has a million viewers and a split of 50% white, 20% black, 20% hispanic and 10% Asian and this show has 500,000 viewers but 40% white, 25% black, 20% hispanic and 15% Asian.  In none of these demographics has the number of viewers come close to what they where for Marvel Show.  200,000 Black for Marvel Show to 125,000 for this show.

I saw that tweet and just hate the dishonesty that will end up spreading everywhere from a checkmark that had that weirdo Air BNB story he made up for the rage clicks.

MM isn't nearly as buzzy as some other shows. Quality =/= buzz. You acknowledge it's a good show but if you have nothing to say beyond that than lesser show with money shots and buzzy scenes will stomp on you. Kenobi isn't a good show, IMO, and I stopped watching. But I know it's buzzy af because I know all about money shots even though I don't watch. Why is that? Because people can't stop talking, whether they watch or hate-watch, they keep buzzing. Just yesterday, I watched the clip of THE scene from the final episode and saw kazillion screencaps of 2 Money Shots. MM's cute dance that got some recreations on TikTok cannot compare to this. 

Outside of already popular leads, the following shows had these buzzy new characters or old favorites appearing:

WV - Agatha, Evan Peters (is he Pietro from multiverse or not?)

FATWS - Zemo, Walker

Loki - variants aka multiverse, Kang

Hawkeye - Kingpin (I didn't watch the show past first 2 episodes but I still remember crazy trending for D'Onofrio's voice)

Moon Knight - I guess Oscar Isaac's split personality antics were a draw, didn't watch at all

MM has likable af supporting cast but they don't incite "how do they fit in the larger scheme of things" buzz nor there have been appearances from established favorites yet. Even Kree speculation is really "I still hope she's an Inhuman".

I don't watch Stranger Things  - I plan to binge closer to Season 5 Part 2 - but even I know that Sadie Sink is the MVP now. Everywhere I turn it's Sadie Sink, Sadie Sink. I never watched Breaking Bad - the best show ever made I'm told - but I know who Walter White is, that fans hated Skylar (though not why), that there was someone named Pinkman and Meth Damon. I binged GOT before its season 6 but I already knew hlaf of characters, Red Wedding and that NK was Come at me bro meme. How? Because buzz was everywhere, impossible to miss. I gues same goes for Mando for people who don't watch. They at least know Baby Yoda Grogu and soup drinking meme.

So I think that is the reason behind lower views aside competition - not enough buzzy material yet. Just yesterday, I checked Reddit for Kenobi and MM episode discussions. 13 hrs after these threads were up, Kenobi had 1.9K comments on StarWarsLeaks vs MM's almost 700 on MarvelStudioSpoilers. Five hours later, Kenobi thread had 2.3K vs MM's 829. Considering the level of fanservice that went into Kenobi finale, it's more likely that fans rewatched and debated rather than checked MM new episode. Fact is that fans will always buzz about fanfiction written around something familiar than new things even if new thing is better. 

So we'll see what happens with Kenobi out of the way. There should be some jump. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1