Eric the Ape

Disney+ MCU: Ms. Marvel | June 8 2022 | Directors include Adil El Arbi, Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Also tv shows are never really as popular as movies I find. 

its like how most people who watched Doctor Strange had no idea what Scarlet Witch character arc was up to. 

That is true. My feed on letterboxd right now is filled with people who watched MoM and going like "ok so I never watched WandaVision and nothing makes sense wtf didn't know it was required viewing"

Marvel have always sold themselves on the fact that you can skip half the content and still get it. It's not always the case anymore

I’m loving Ms. Marvel. It’s fun and thoughtful. I’m slightly disappointed that it isn’t getting higher numbers but it doesn’t really need to. 
It is broadly liked, potentially loved by younger fanbase and gets a huge boost with the Marvels next year. Maybe there’s a S2. Maybe not.

I’ve been seeing the MCU-is-all-the-same shit less and less. So that’s nice. 
MCU is set up more like actual comics than ever before. Read the big titles. Read the small titles. Read ‘em all. Whatever. 

Another solid episode, first 2 were slightly better for me because it focused more on family, culture, high school, etc. But it’s understandable that they would somewhat get reduced attention as the series progresses because there needs to be action. 

The wedding stuff was lovely. The dancing was hilarious and awesome lol. I wish it was longer. 

• Like 1

Yeah I love this show so much I only wish it was more than 6 episodes cause with what they've set up there's alot to explore with family dynamics, her high school life, her training to be a superhero etc. Can't really explain it but it actually "feels" like a proper TV show as opposed to a movie chopped up in 6 parts. 

• Like 5

Cliffhanger is a trope for MCU shows after episode 4 apparently, but this got me hooked and ending on a great shot. This show is threatening to dethrone Loki as my favorite. 

My only real complaint* (and I'll echo what somebody else somewhere said) are the Djinn/Inhumans (they're Inhumans in everything but name at this point) feeling like leftovers from an Agents of SHIELD episode. But when everything else is buzzing so well, eh....

*=Farhan Akhta made a good Hollywood debut here. The guy they got for Red Dagger has nice chemistry with Iman. 

Same here. It was convoluted, introduced too many characters, and had too much pointless action.

A shame after the first 3 episodes that were just so great.

But hey it ends on a great cliffhanger so hopefully it picks up after!

Yeah, Marvel really said Wanna bet, bitch? to 'A hero is only as good as their villains'

I hope once the superior Fantastic Four and X-Men villains debut in the MCU, they start moving around and menacing other heroes too. It's fun in the comics when an X-Men villain like Juggernaut or FF villain like Doctor Doom is fighting an Avenger or Spider-Man. The few good villains in the MCU don't need to be killed off in just one film or turned into an anti-hero.

They seem to have finally gotten the ball rolling with Kang/Immortus in Loki and Quantum Mania so fingers crossed that practice continues in other movies and shows.

Edited by Spidey Freak

This is so far ahead of the other marvel stuff. My gawd. It’s so textured, and feminine, and mature. I can’t wait to watch again with my mom and cry a lot. 

• Like 1

Another disappointing episode. I wanted a show about Kamala navigating coming-of-age while being a superhero and dealing with her life and drama with family/friends, not whatever this has turned into. 

Spoiler

Time travel is something that should only be deployed with care and benefit for the story. Here it's just thrown together so casually and adds nothing. 

• Like 2

@charlie Jatinder reminded me that I haven't recapped the last few eps

I still find the show charming and an explosion of color. I appreciate the insight into character and heritage, mostly unprecedented territory in the MCU outside of Black Panther. albeit, there's some subplots that never blossomed such as the friend and the church. I'm nervous the finale is gonna drop the ball as I think the stakes aren't strong enough. There's a lack of a deeply compelling villain. But I'm still curious how they tie this together

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

@charlie Jatinder reminded me that I haven't recapped the last few eps

I still find the show charming and an explosion of color. I appreciate the insight into character and heritage, mostly unprecedented territory in the MCU outside of Black Panther. albeit, there's some subplots that never blossomed such as the friend and the church. I'm nervous the finale is gonna drop the ball as I think the stakes aren't strong enough. There's a lack of a deeply compelling villain. But I'm still curious how they tie this together

Sad to see someone is still wasting their time.