Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

On 9/5/2023 at 6:34 PM, Porthos said:

jeff-goldblum-crazy-son-of-a-bitch.gif

*after 24 hours of reflection*

R1wRynN.gif

Spoiler

Maaaan, I can't wait to see how he'll try to explain TWBW to casuals next week and make it work without seeming clunky within the episode. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

Well I'm glad I decided to hold off watching episode 3 until episode 4 came our as episode was definitely the strongest part of the show so far. Baylon Skoll might be my favourite Star Wars villain since Disney took over. It's still wild me all these concepts from animation are just appearing in live action and people will either need to go with it or they'll be lost. Sabine remains to me weirdly more of the main character than Ahsoka but that should change next week judging by what happens at the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

*after 24 hours of reflection*

R1wRynN.gif

Hide contents

Maaaan, I can't wait to see how he'll try to explain TWBW to casuals next week and make it work without seeming clunky within the episode. :lol: 

Some people are struggling with the concept of a new galaxy... it'll certainly be interesting

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Some people are struggling with the concept of a new galaxy... it'll certainly be interesting

I mean, I’m struggling with the concept of new galaxy. 

but that’s because I’m a jack ass, and every time they say it I keep giggling. Is that where the Kevin Feige Star Wars movie takes place? Is the new galaxy the MCU? Is this how are finally going to get Patton Oswald epic space battle, where Wolverine takes on the Empire.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Cap said:

I mean, I’m struggling with the concept of new galaxy. 

but that’s because I’m a jack ass, and every time they say it I keep giggling. Is that where the Kevin Feige Star Wars movie takes place? Is the new galaxy the MCU? Is this how are finally going to get Patton Oswald epic space battle, where Wolverine takes on the Empire.

Maaaaan, as long as it doesn't involve Force Hating Sadomasochists, I think I'm good with just about anything else!

(EU/Legends fans know exactly what I'm talking about here 👍)

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maaaaan, as long as it doesn't involve Force Hating Sadomasochists, I think I'm good with just about anything else!

(EU/Legends fans know exactly what I'm talking about here 👍)

As long as it doesn't involve a moon dropping on Zeb

• Thanks 3

So, often times the phrase "easter egg" is misused or overused when it comes to media.  But the latest episode of Ahsoka had a true honest-to-goodness "blink and you'll miss it"/ have to actively hunt for it easter egg:

When Hera is entering the cockpit of her ship around the 10:30 mark or so, in the far background there is a little memento that... 

Well, let's let the picture do the talking:

F5YcMCBWgAAbM-L?format=webp&name=large

It's blown up quite a bit, but it's a picture of her lost love, Kanan. ❤️

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marek the Jedi said:

anybody is going to check EP5 in CINEMA? :)
seems like it play in US and UK only?

Marek

Only in 10 locations in the States, as far as I'm aware (and all AMC), so no dice for me, I'm afraid.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Only a little more than half done with this one, but it is safe to say there will be LOTS of discourse over this one, I feel.

(and for once, warranted)

((actually, the good kind of Discourse, I think))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

So, like....

(Big Time Spoilers)

Spoiler

Was that actually Anakin?

Was that Ahsoka's memories of Anakin?

Was that Something Else using the memories of Anakin?

Does any of the above actually matter?

Well, no.  Whatever that was, it was exactly the sort of carthsis that Ahsoka so badly needed to move on from her self doubt and trauma and "only knowing war".  Even setting the on-the-nose-even-for-Filoni symbology of "Ahsoka the White" to the side, she was markedly different in mood and temperament after her near-death experience.

Related to the above:  Was Ahsoka actually in the World Between Worlds, or was that all in her head?

Or even "Yes."

Again, as much as wiki editors crave certainty... it doesn't matter.  The journey was what Ahsoka needed at the time.

Sure, there are interesting implications if that was Actually Post-Death Anakin there for how Anakin views himself post-RotJ.  But that's a tale for another time.  

As one might tell, I loved it.  This is the sort of Mind Fuck SW that I absolutely love to pieces.

(also realize it might... not be for everyone, but dunna care in the slightest)

One more spoilery thing:

Spoiler

YOUNG AHSOKA WAS AWDOWABLE!!!!!!

(and brilliantly played by Ariana Greenblatt, I might add)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

After a rough first 3 episodes, these last two have been pretty good(minus the cringe kid of course ;)).  The Whale stuff was weird but whatever.

I'm sure Hayden Christensen loves being able to play Anakin again in a way that feels like a real person.  He didn't even really feel like the same character as he did in the prequels which really further illustrates what a missed opportunity those movies were.  He had the misfortune of getting very bad writing/direction in the prequels and unfairly got a lot of shit for those movies.

• Like 3

(Y'all gonna have to put up with me going Full Porthos here, BTW)

((Sorry, Not Sorry and all that))

From the 26:26 mark of the episode:

SPOILERS, NATCH

Spoiler

xCJujyv.png

(click to embiggen)

That wasn't

Spoiler

a reflection of the red blade, as on rewatch you can see her pupils slowly turn red as she is about to kill Anakin (or at least "Anakin") in cold blood.

But then she relents, and the eyes fade back to normal.

I've seen numerous people compare this to the Dark Side Cave in ESB or her finally facing her Jedi Trials.  Either works, really.

This episode could have been subtitled "The Last Temptation of Tano" and it would have fit just as well.

Choosing not to kill, and choosing to live.  Showing that she was much more than just an instrument of war, of death and destruction (as Baylan Skoll tried to claim last episode).  That she could indeed be more.

That was the lesson Anakin taught here.  

And brilliantly done it was, IM(very biased)O.

• Like 3

Anakin stuff was pretty much predictable but overall another really good episode. Just like @Menor the Destroyer this didn't hit me  as emotionally but really well  put together episode and the pacing was perfect , no fat and the acting was solid across the board.

Space whales for some reason never bugged me no matter how ridiculous the whole thing is.

After a really rough episode 1 ,the show has gained some footing.

• Like 2