Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

29 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I don't get why the internet is so obsessed with Star Wars without the Skywalkers, there the only reason people care about the franchise.  

Well it had a chance with ST . Rey,Kylo and finn and Poe were pretty well recieved in TFA.

By TROS they had fucked everything up . Undermined legacy characters by putting them in secondary roles and treatment for esp Han and Luke was divisive,Carrie fisher untimely death wasn't a favor too. RD2 and CP3O and Chewbacca were also undertillized.

Then all that sweet setup for our new characters was put into the meat grinder in the next installments. 

What a colossal fuck up.   If  only the batton was passed successfully from the legacy characters to new characters  . Things would be so much better.

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

I do not buy that nobody wants ang non Skywalker related stuff

the first season of Mando had no Skywalkers. It was a hit

problem is they are serving up unappealing crap. Simple as that. 

Putting Luke in Mando season finale was a mistep . Yeah poeple enjoyed it but  I personally wasn't ectastic about it.

Season 2 was good but it turned into a cameofest and now it's blown into this whole thing leading up to filoni movie

Mando season 1 was a good tight and self contained for the most part and should have remained that.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 2

Yeah the primary issue with this show was that it just wasn't very good. It seems like the first few episodes were pretty well sampled by audiences (between Ahsoka and Andor which seems about right for a Star Wars show with no known characters but more family friendly on the face of it than something like Andor), but they bailed when it didn't grab them. A ton of interesting ideas but the execution just wasn't there. It did engage in 'member berry' stuff by the end but that didn't create any buzz so I'm not sure it's fair to say that's all audiences want. People wouldn't have been nearly as excited to see ugly CGI Luke if the second season of Mando hadn't been really good up to that point already. If Lucasfilm takes the wrong lessons and decides that what we really need is more de-aged zombie Leia or whatever weird thing, that's really not the fault of the audience.

35 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

That was always going to happen. People claim they want to "move on" or see new eras and timelines and never see the Skywalker era again. But that's a lie. Star Wars fans, and general audiences for that matter, just want to see nostalgia slop. Stuff to point at the screen and go "OMG IT IS THING FROM CHILDHOOD"

Literally every time one of these shows has trended, it's because they bring back some old legacy character that makes the fans go crazy. Nobody cared about Ahoska until Anakin popped up. When weird creepy deepfake Luke popped up in Mandalorian, looking as plastic as the action figures he was based on, Star Wars nerds were hooting and hollering that it was the return to the old Luke they knew and loved. Hell, even Grogu only got big because he was Baby Yoda. If he wasn't based off Yoda, nobody would give a shit about him.

And this isn't just a Star Wars thing. Audiences largely just want nostalgia slop for anything and everything. There's a reason why RDJ as Doctor Doom trended as hard as it did. And alas, there's nothing we can do to stop it. Because audiences refuse to enjoy anything unless it's got member berries. Ah well.

Some times people want a greasy double cheeseburger.  They use movies as escapism.  I get it. There is no shame in it. 

What crosses the line is when people attack the people working on the shows and movies. If you don't like it don't watch it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Star Wars was at its best when it was only 6 movies. 

Somewhere in the world right now there’s a guy with thousands of dollars worth of Star Wars action figures on a shelf saying that Star Wars was at its best when there was only one movie.

19 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Somewhere in the world right now there’s a guy with thousands of dollars worth of Star Wars action figures on a shelf saying that Star Wars was at its best when there was only one movie.

Oh noooo

Issue is star wars fanbase is mostly based on the skywalker story

not the star wars universe. 

I think Star Wars is having the same reckoning marvel has that in the end people want less content, more focused content on interesting stuff.  

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YM! said:

Looking at Amandla Sternberg comment sections on Instagram and to be honest if you’re a POC or a woman, I honestly don’t get the appeal in joining the Star Wars franchise. Disney nor Lucasfilm will not protect you from the harassment. 

To be fair, Disney nor Lucasfim can't really do anything to protect actors from the harassment.

Even if they show support to the actress (as they did with Reva actress), the harassment will just continue.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I do not buy that nobody wants ang non Skywalker related stuff

the first season of Mando had no Skywalkers. It was a hit

problem is they are serving up unappealing crap. Simple as that. 

I mean, the Mandalorian has the novelty of being the first streaming Star Wars live action show. There was also Baby Yoda, which called a lot of attention on the show.

Also, we don't know the numbers for the first season. Disney+ was starting at that time, so I assume the expectatives weren't so big.

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

Yeah the primary issue with this show was that it just wasn't very good. It seems like the first few episodes were pretty well sampled by audiences (between Ahsoka and Andor which seems about right for a Star Wars show with no known characters but more family friendly on the face of it than something like Andor), but they bailed when it didn't grab them. A ton of interesting ideas but the execution just wasn't there. It did engage in 'member berry' stuff by the end but that didn't create any buzz so I'm not sure it's fair to say that's all audiences want. People wouldn't have been nearly as excited to see ugly CGI Luke if the second season of Mando hadn't been really good up to that point already. If Lucasfilm takes the wrong lessons and decides that what we really need is more de-aged zombie Leia or whatever weird thing, that's really not the fault of the audience.

I mean, the most popular episodes of Mandalorian season 2 involves nostalgia. So, I wouldn't say the audience doesn't have blame on that mindset.

Edited by Kon

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Putting Luke in Mando season finale was a mistep . Yeah poeple enjoyed it but wasn't ectastic.

Season 2 was good but it turned into a cameofest and now it's blown into this whole thing leading up to filoni movie

Mando season 1 was a good tight and self contained for the most part and should have remained that.

It absolutely was an ecstatic reaction at the time, I'm pretty sure that episode has the highest IMDb rating of any live action SW and everyone was buzzing about it. Let's not revise how good the reception to Mando S2 was just because it hasn't sustained the momentum since.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Skeleton Crew is going to flop also.  They need to scrap everything and halt for 5-10 years.  

don't need to be that extreme, we don't need endless content for D+, one show a year is fine and a movie every 2-3 years would be great

1 hour ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

It absolutely was an ecstatic reaction at the time, I'm pretty sure that episode has the highest IMDb rating of any live action SW and everyone was buzzing about it. Let's not revise how good the reception to Mando S2 was just because it hasn't sustained the momentum since.

Will edit my post but  I meant I personally  wasn't ecstatic.  But yeah  the fan base ate it up.

Just have an issue with that scene but the rest of that episode is a banger . 

Edited by Liiviig 1998

They should have done a Hakweye,Boba Fett,  She hulk, Moon night and Ms Marvel....all cancelled shows whose cancellations were never announced or made public.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hades said:

They should have done a Hakweye,Boba Fett,  She hulk, Moon night and Ms Marvel....all cancelled shows whose cancellations were never announced or made public.

Yes so you have to wonder why this cancellation is so public. Someone at Disney wants it absolutely  clear this is not continuing 

Edited by John Marston

I think they kind of had to. Hawkeye, Boba Fett, and She-Hulk were all pretty self-contained. Ms. Marvel was mostly resolved in The Marvels. Plus all of those shows were caught up in the Chapek period when the different studios weren't even in charge of their own budgets and Disney+ was pretty much a giant blank check for everyone as long as they churned out content quickly. It probably wasn't until belt tightening came in to play at D+ that the second season chances for most of those shows really started to dim. They all had much better ratings than this too.

Probably the combination of very low ratings, very high price tag, and a finale with a bunch of cliffhangers led them to want to nip speculation in the bud on this quickly.