Eric Prime

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

After a few hours, reactions are overall pretty good, with a few very mixed in the middle, which is kinda expected since they´re screening the hell out of this for a week.

After Thor i don´t really know if the reviews will follow this path or will ended up balanced to a divisive reception. 

Let´s see, if the reviews ended up close to reactions it should be enough to a very decent 80´s %.

With that said, it does look like Peele made another movie that isn´t really trying to please everyone.

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

After a few hours, reactions are overall pretty good, with a few very mixed in the middle, which is kinda expected since they´re screening the hell out of this for a week.

After Thor i don´t really know if the reviews will follow this path or will ended up balanced to a divisive reception. 

Let´s see, if the reviews ended up close to reactions it should be enough to a very decent 80´s %.

With that said, it does look like Peele made another movie that isn´t really trying to please everyone.

But releasing social reaction during midnight is a sign that Universal isn't confident with reception. 

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But releasing social reaction during midnight is a sign that Universal isn't confident with reception. 

The reactions dropped 7pm... even if it was midnight i don´t see the correlation, it dropped right after the premiere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imbruglia said:

my feelings were right. Marvel movies made me an expert on reading between the lines of the early rave reactions 😄.

This movie won't be an easy win on audiences.

Saying that i'm kind of excited cause i liked both get out and Us. 

45 minutes ago, p a p i said:

Yeah. It's so weird. And frustrating. 

I hope this has some damn good legs. 

“Us” got a 2.46x multiplier in March and quite a lot of people on this forum hate it (not me, I love it).

With summer weekdays I’m sure Nope will have at least similar legs. Meaning it has to open to $40m to secure $100m, which from the tracking thread indicating 4-5m previews (as of now), should be doable. 

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

And there seem to be very few reactions from last night so you really can’t tell. Thor was strange cause they literally had waves of people in the first round giving it glowing reviews and then a more negative second wave followed by a measured third wave lol

• Like 1

Early reactions seem pretty glowing, but that just makes me more skeptical. Especially after that Rolling Stone article on Snyderverse bots. Social media is a nebeluous reflection of actual social seniment. When people start using the word masterpiece, it feels forced. But I think there is some optimisim now with the box office, 5m previews, 45m ow? 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

“Us” got a 2.46x multiplier in March and quite a lot of people on this forum hate it (not me, I love it).

With summer weekdays I’m sure Nope will have at least similar legs. Meaning it has to open to $40m to secure $100m, which from the tracking thread indicating 4-5m previews (as of now), should be doable. 

Joel Mchale Win GIF by ABC Network

We’ll see how WOM/legs go, but challenging Elvis for #6 spot of summer is starting to look in range (~$140-$150M)

Besides the mixed reception, Us had a fair amount of direct competition, including Pet Sematary and Shazam in week 3, La Llorona in week 5, and Engame killing last legs in week 6. Given the barren release calendar, Nope should be able to manage at least 2x it’s opening week (Us was only 1.85x, Conjuring 3 last June was 1.94x), which right now I wouldn’t be surprised if it got to $70M+

Edited by M37

4 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

So after all the doom and gloom and looks like this will get very good reviews and and box office opening around 40 to 50 million. 

Not so sure, I saw a few reactions that were pretty poor. Will be hard to tell until general audience see it on Thursday. But the buzz feels back on, or maybe that is just social media bubble. This is what RT approved critic has to say:

Edited by Lestranger

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

So they labelled it as an horror a movie isn't an horror?, There is no better way to let people disappointed.

https://twitter.com/shayewyllie/status/1549394170548199424?s=20&t=5bijvzKU6mNlcb9dSvgjfQ

Doesn’t sound good for the cinemascore if people don’t get what they expect from marketing. Maybe that explain why the 2nd trailer tone down the horror hint.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

predicting ~84% Rotten Tomatoes, ~62 Metacritic