Eric the IF

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

12 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Which amazing reviews? The first bunch are, but the ones that matter are about to come out, and from what I read they are saying it's pretty mediocre. And since Peele is so overrated, this will get a pc boost like it's a "masterpiece" from many, which is what they tried to turn "Us" into, another mediocre pretentious film that had very little to offer, besides the cinematography. But god forbid anyone criticizes Peele's work, because you'll be labeled as a racist immediately.

Calling someone work bad doesn't have anything to do with racism. 

But you know what looks very much like racism? Saying that people won't criticize a movie because is from a black director. 

What kinda of reverse racism is this bullshit? Fuck off

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I don't think this is hitting $50 million+, it's more like $34-38 million. There's so little buzz, and everyone who has seen the film (audience and critics) are saying it's his worst work, pretentious, interesting for the first 45 mins or so and then it falls apart. Pretty much what I thought it will be.

I mean, if this is worse than "Us", my lord... But it will probably end up with making roughly $100 million when it's all said and done. No major releases in August will probably help it with legs, so I wouldn't rule out $110-120 million total.

47 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Which amazing reviews? The first bunch are, but the ones that matter are about to come out, and from what I read they are saying it's pretty mediocre. And since Peele is so overrated, this will get a pc boost like it's a "masterpiece" from many, which is what they tried to turn "Us" into, another mediocre pretentious film that had very little to offer, besides the cinematography. But god forbid anyone criticizes Peele's work, because you'll be labeled as a racist immediately.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNOX-9osFNPOFmM4LLLFl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think critics are overrated here. Maybe they count in the public discussion for movies with a fan base (and fan wars about them). 

The movie is a good average at 77/100 (it's right now the director first not acclaimed 80+) but if you read just the preview of one of the 90/100 reviews you read "it won't be at everyone taste".

So it's not always about the numbers but also about what it's written.

In the heights got an 84/100 on metacritic and it missed any impact on the audiences.

the success of a movie like this for me it's just on the WOM, even in the first weekend (seeing get out). We need to wait audience score and cinemascore to understand if it can have solid legs. 

9 minutes ago, Eric the Tethered said:

Moderation

Yeah we're not doing this "woke critics are giving Peele a pass because he's black" garbage. @ViktorLosAngeles @ThePrinceIsOnFire don't even fucking try with this.

To be fair, I didn't mean to call out american critics for being "woke"; as a European reading american reviews with a certain degree of cultural distance, I just noticed that there seems to be a certain respect and special attention when criticizing the work of minorities; which isn't a bad thing at all (actually I find  the snarky  remarks that american critics often use in their headlines to be petty and useless, borderline unprofessional even) but  it can occasionally generate a larger than usual disconnect/discrepancy between US reviews and EU reviews. For example, "Get out" got raves in the US while it sits at just above average in Italian reviews...

I apolgize if this is a delicate topic and did not mean to start an uprising. Feel free to delete/remove my comments if they are not appropriate or can be offensive.

2 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

To be fair, I didn't mean to call out american critics for being "woke"; as a European reading american reviews with a certain degree of cultural distance, I just noticed that there seems to be a certain respect and special attention when criticizing the work of minorities; which isn't a bad thing at all (actually I find  the snarky  remarks that american critics often use in their headlines to be petty and useless, borderline unprofessional even) but  it can occasionally generate a larger than usual disconnect/discrepancy between US reviews and EU reviews. For example, "Get out" got raves in the US while it sits at just above average in Italian reviews...

I apolgize if this is a delicate topic and did not mean to start an uprising. Feel free to delete/remove my comments if they are not appropriate or can be offensive.

It works both ways. British movies get higher scores from birtish critics than american ones.

18 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think critics are overrated here. Maybe they count in the public discussion for movies with a fan base (and fan wars about them). 

The movie is a good average at 77/100 (it's right now the director first not acclaimed 80+) but if you read just the preview of one of the 90/100 reviews you read "it won't be at everyone taste".

So it's not always about the numbers but also about what it's written.

In the heights got an 84/100 on metacritic and it missed any impact on the audiences.

the success of a movie like this for me it's just on the WOM, even in the first weekend (seeing get out). We need to wait audience score and cinemascore to understand if it can have solid legs. 

It's polarizing for sure, seems like Peele likes to make this type of movies since it's the second in a row.

It's at 81% with 102 reviews, it shouldn't finish much different than this, but if you look at the average, you can see the issue. It's right now with an excellent 7.6 average, i know movies with 95% with lower average than this. It's really good even if the % here is still kinda low for such good average. 

This only happen with polarizing movies, where you have some people that give it hard raves, but it's not a consensus. 

We have to wait and see if audiences will be the same way, i think this have one good thing going on tho which is people saying it's very entertaining, even some people that didn't like it. For audiences this could help to avoid a situation like US.

It's not a news movie criticism is something culturally biased.

Maybe you won't believe this but in my country (italy) Dear Evan Hansen got really really good reviews, while american critics destroyed it. 

This is why the movie presents an America imagery for americans is bland and overseen, here is what do you want to see from an american teen movie. 

Also Elvis here got a lot of better reviews. Cause reviews are only about the idea of Elvis as music icon, american reviews are Also about Elvis as a figure in american history, something our critics don't know or don't care too much about. And even The gray Man has almost all good reviews.

A movie called Il traditore by Marco bellocchio here won our Oscars and it one of the most acclaimed movie by italian critics in the last 10 Years, american critics penned it cause it's not the  godfathr kind of spectacular mafia movie americans want to see

Edited by vale9001

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's polarizing for sure, seems like Peele likes to make this type of movies since it's the second in a row.

It's at 81% with 102 reviews, it shouldn't finish much different than this, but if you look at the average, you can see the issue. It's right now with an excellent 7.6 average, i know movies with 95% with lower average than this. It's really good even if the % here is still kinda low for such good average. 

This only happen with polarizing movies, where you have some people that give it hard raves, but it's not a consensus. 

We have to wait and see if audiences will be the same way, i think this have one good thing going on tho which is people saying it's very entertaining, even some people that didn't like it. For audiences this could help to avoid a situation like US.

It’s crazy because one of the Top Critics on Rotten Tomatoes rated the film a ‘B’ but he labeled it as rotten. I didn’t know that would be considered rotten.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

(I'm thinking about Joe Wright and the venomous reviews he often receives despite the quality of his movies being relatively high on average and pretty beloved by the general audiences). 

Wait, what?

The three rotten Joe Wright movies on RT all either bombed horribly or got dumped on Netflix. Would you really say Pan or Woman in the Window were beloved by audiences?

Edited by cookie

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wait, what?

The three rotten Joe Wright movies on RT all either bombed horribly or got dumped on Netflix. Would really say Pan or Woman in the Window were beloved by audiences?

LOL right? I would say his RT ratings are generous like Darkest Hour and Cyrano are both so blegh and in the 80s.  Hanna and Anna Karenina are perhaps a bit underrated but otherwise his flops are downright awful and deserved flops. 

30 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wait, what?

The three rotten Joe Wright movies on RT all either bombed horribly or got dumped on Netflix. Would really say Pan or Woman in the Window were beloved by audiences?

It's not about the ratings, but just how snarky and horrible many of the critics are when reviewing his movies. Despite being rated in the 80's on RT, the negative reviews on Cyrano are borderline insulting. For "the woman in the window" I remember Indiewire and the nypost had reviews that straight out called Wright  a talentless pretender who doesn't even know how to use camera tricks. When american critics go hard they go really hard, and frankly I think that they should pay some respect  to the director who brought a movie like "Atonement" to life...

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Can't wait. Seeing it tomorrow in Dolby. 

RT wise... Dipping rather fast. Already down an 81 started much higher. Thinking it ends up between 70 and 75 and is not certified fresh but overall has pretty impressive rating average even with a lower percentage when the dust settles.

Up to 82% now with 107 reviews (was 81% with 95 reviews) 

Starting to stabilize, let's see how it goes, i'm thinking more like certified 77-80% with 7.3-7.4 average