Eric Quinn

The Running Man | November 21, 2025 | Paramount | Edgar Wright directs the Stephen King story

https://deadline.com/2021/02/edgar-wright-direct-the-running-man-stephen-king-paramount-pictures-simon-kinbergs-genre-films-1234697279/

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is making a deal with Edgar Wright to develop to direct a new adaptation of The Running Man, the futuristic novel by Stephen King that the author first published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. This won’t be a remake of the 1987 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger; the Baby Driver writer/director will co-write the story with Michael Bacall, and they will be much more faithful to King’s bestselling novel.  Bacall will write the script.

Simon Kinberg and Audrey Chon will produce through his Genre Films banner, alongside Nira Park from Wright’s Complete Fiction banner. Kinberg brought the idea to Emma Watts, based on their long relationship, and then Kinberg courted Wright. While the filmmaker is very selective, the prospect of a new The Running Man is one that has intrigued him; to the point that when asked if he could remake any film, he would choose that one. This was back in 2017. Now it has become real.

This becomes a top priority pic for Paramount, and a novel, which King published as a paperback back in 1982, a dystopian thriller that still feels prescient in the current collision between pop culture and politics, this before social media ratcheted up the stakes. 

• Like 1

i actually just rewatched the original Running Man like a month ago. I found it disappointing the first time i saw it eons ago and that hasn't really changed it's like a completely toothless version of a Verhoeven movie. not one of Arnie's best.

So it's good to see that this version will be a masterpiece.

• Like 1

Interesting project...."Running Man" is a movie that can use a remake, since th original film lost all the bite of the  King novel, but i Wonder if it is th film Powell needs to do right  now. He has got to show, if he wants longitivity, that he can do roles outsie the usual "Leading Man" territory.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:19 AM, kayumanggi said:

If they start shooting in November, do you think they're aiming for a Holiday release? November 2025, perhaps?

I'm thinking either late 2025 or the first half of 2026.

5 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

I'm thinking either late 2025 or the first half of 2026.

Probably late 2025. Paramount only has VICIOUS [August] and THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE: SEARCH FOR SQUAREPANTS [December] for the second half of the year.