cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

MetaCritic lines up the best with the top critic average score on Rotten Tomatoes. Blue Beetle has a 60 on MetaCritic and a 6.1/10 top critic average on Rotten Tomatoes so that tracks. This is really showing the benefits of the RT rating system, the consensus just seems to be "a decent a 6 or 7 out of 10." 

44 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The Rotten Tomatoes score is a lot better than I expected. But it’s weird that nearly all of the fresh scores are very muted.

That's normal - just means overall (so far) it's a like it not love it movie - reflected in the 82% but 6.7 avg and 71%/6.1avg top critics

• Like 1

This couldn’t possibly seem more comparable to Ant Man with the reception and the whole Z list bug themed character. Difference of course is that AM came out in the midst of a very successful CBM franchise. This is coming out in a franchise that basically doesn’t even exist at this point. 

I'd like to see 'Blue Beetle' grow some longer legs but at least it appears to be a decent movie with some heart.  I think we may go see it tomorrow and leading up to it I didn't really have much interest so it at least won a couple people over lol.  

I hope it's good because most comic book movies and TV shows I've seen over the past couple of years have been meh or bad aside from GOTG Vol. 3 and The Batman. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

Ok so the current range for the OW is $30M to $35M. Let's take the high end. $35M. Now let's say it has "positive" audience reception and does 3x legs. $105M domestic. Now let's apply the standard CBM split (40/60). $155M overseas. $260M worldwide.

You are really invested in how this film will perform huh? Loo

Blue Beetle is my favorite DC character and I hope the film does well enough to warrant a sequel but even if it doesn’t, I’m quite happy I’ll have this film to binge watch, a new comic to read (thanks to the film), as well as cool new merchandise of the character! Plus Gunn says Xolo as Jaime will be back so I’m content 

• Like 3

Reviews seem pretty decent, much better than the last three DC movies that have come out in the past year. Its unfortunate that this may not do that well box office wise, but at least they didn't spend 200 million on this. I wish Xolo Maridueña the best and hope that this will lead to him getting more/better projects.

This movie was perfectly fine. It’s got elements of Spider-Man ‘02, Iron Man, Black Panther etc. and in many ways feels like a Phase 1 MCU movie which is refreshing.

What it’s missing from those aforementioned comparisons is deeper layers to the script and characterization that really helped those movies connect. I imagine this will be a crowdpleaser and will have pretty solid audience reception/legs, but it’s not going to be remembered like many of those “classic” CBMs are.

6 or 7 out of 10 feels perfectly right.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

Same applies to WW84, Same team different results. 
 I guess movies are like sports; a team can look like world champions one game, and then totally blow it in the next game.

Zack Snyder wrote the story for the first Wonder Woman, was a hands-on producer and at the time of development and production was still the architect of the DCEU, while having no involvement with the sequel. Not to take any credit from Patty Jenkins, because the main reason that first movie worked so well was the emotion and sensibility that resonated with audiences in a way Snyder's movies weren't able to, and that heart was still present in WW84 and it was its biggest strength. But the ridiculous and silly plot was a huge flaw in the movie, and in my opinion Snyder's ideal of grounding these movies in reality was an important element that eventually was missed in WW84. You may disagree with that but I don't think you can ignore how heavily involved he was in that first Wonder Woman film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Zack Snyder wrote the story for the first Wonder Woman, was a hands-on producer and at the time of development and production was still the architect of the DCEU, while having no involvement with the sequel. Not to take any credit from Patty Jenkins, because the main reason that first movie worked so well was the emotion and sensibility that resonated with audiences in a way Snyder's movies weren't able to, and that heart was still present in WW84 and it was its biggest strength. But the ridiculous and silly plot was a huge flaw in the movie, and in my opinion Snyder's ideal of grounding these movies in reality was an important element that eventually was missed in WW84. You may disagree with that but I don't think you can ignore how heavily involved he was in that first Wonder Woman film.

Snyder had zero to do with the first Wonder Woman. The story he wrote was not even the one they used, they just went with the framing device. He was not hands on in the least because he was making BvS and JL at the time, the actual hands on producer was Geoff Johns. The big thing was the script writer Jason Fuchs, but sometimes everything just comes together.

Snyder gets zero credit for Wonder Woman. You cultists I swear.

• ...wtf 1