Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (6/4-6) | Conjuring 24M Weekend, Quiet Place 19.5, Cruella 11.24

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i would say 30mill ow ,lets see

A horror movie with a 3.05x multiplier, why?

The Conjuring 2 was 2.46 and the original was 2.48. Both with Canada, no pandemic, better reviews, not being available at home and no direct competition. 

Spiral’s was 2.35x, but it wasn’t available at home. I’ll guess 2.2x

Just now, Krissykins said:

A horror movie with a 3.05x multiplier, why?

The Conjuring 2 was 2.46 and the original was 2.48. Both with Canada, no pandemic, better reviews, not being available at home and no direct competition. 

Spiral’s was 2.35x, but it wasn’t available at home. I’ll guess 2.2x

Sprial and Conjuring both had previews while C3 did not. Its multiplier will be higher but it won't reach $30M. It'll be more like $25M than $20M.

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2021/06/conjuring-3-a-quiet-place-part-ii-weekend-box-office-1234769966/

Saturday AM: Refresh for updates New Line’s The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is beating Paramount’s second weekend of A Quiet Place Part II, with an estimated $23.5M to $22M but there shouldn’t be any doubts: It’s a solid weekend at the box office, especially as the pandemic calms. Even No. 3 title, Disney’s Cruella is doing well, on its way toward a $11.4M second weekend, -47%, after a $3.28M Friday, -57%.

Conjuring 3 made $9.84M on Friday to A Quiet Place 2‘s $6.2M (-68%). A Quiet Place 2‘s second weekend hold of -54% is very respectable for a horror movie. By the end of its second weekend the John Krasinski directed sequel will stand at $91.1M

By the end of the summer, I’m sure there will be countless pieces written about whether this availability of a film in the home and in theaters at the same time is good or not for the business; remember making clean copies of these available on the web subjects these films to piracy. Conjuring 3 is playing for free to HBO Max subscribers, while Cruella is available to Disney+ premier subscribers at $29.99. What’s clear this weekend, is that there’s a theatrical appetite by audiences, and the abundance of product at the multiplex makes for great business.

Meanwhile, the weekend’s second wide entry, Universal’s DreamWorks Animation’s sequel Spirit Untamed made an estimated $2.4M yesterday at 3,211 theaters for what looks to be a $7M 3-day in fourth place. CinemaScore audiences gave the movie an A. We’ve seen better from animated family fare during the pandemic: Uni shelled out for P&A on Croods: A New Age which translated into a $9.7M 3-day, $14.2M 5-day on its way to $58.3M domestic take, while Warner Bros.’ Tom & Jerry did $14.1M over its first Friday-Sunday. Heck, even Disney’s Raya and the Last Dragon‘s opening weekend of $8.5M was higher than Spirit Untamed, and it didn’t have Cinemark in the mix.

Fifth place belongs to United Artists Releasing/MGM/Miramax’s 5th weekend of Wrath of Man which grossed $335K yesterday (-38%) for a projected 3-day of $1.2M, -44%, for a $24.6M running total.

Conjuring 3 earned a B+, which is a notch below the A- grades of Conjuring 1 and 2, but higher than any of the Annabelles (which did in order B, B, B-) and much higher than The Nun, which even at a C CinemaScore boasts the biggest opening in the James Wan and Peter Safran produced franchise.

Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak scores weren’t far behind CinemaScore’s for Conjuring 3 with a 78% positive score and 58% definite recommend with the crowd leaning female at 53%, 56% under 25 with 61% between 18-34 years old. Diversity demos were great across the board with 34% Hispanic, 29% Caucasian, 23% Black, & 14% Asian/other. Best parts of the country for the Michael Chaves-directed threequel was West and Southwest. I hear Imax and PLF drove over 20% of Friday’s business for Conjuring 3, which didn’t have any Thursday night previews rolled in.

• Like 1

$22 mil weekend seems a bit high for AQP2. Looking at other June horror sequel releases (only major ones I could find atm are Conjuring 2 and Annabelle 3), I don't think Saturday will have an over 20% increase from Friday. Even a very optimistic 20% drop on Sunday puts it at barely less than $20 mil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking 25M for Conjuring 3, for around 60M finish.

Great, could easily be 30-35M debut without HBO Max but we have to face the new reality.

This franchise is still extremely solid with audiences, and reception seems pretty good, they're definitely doing Conjuring 4 + 3 spin offs.

Great holds for AQP2 and Cruella too. US box office is rebouding, maybe things will really back to normal sometime next year. Now we can only hope the same will happen globally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

$22 mil weekend seems a bit high for AQP2. Looking at other June horror sequel releases (only major ones I could find atm are Conjuring 2 and Annabelle 3), I don't think Saturday will have an over 20% increase from Friday. Even a very optimistic 20% drop on Sunday puts it at barely less than $20 mil.

Oh no!

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm thinking 25M for Conjuring 3, for around 60M finish.

Great, could easily be 30-35M debut without HBO Max but we have to face the new reality.

This franchise is still extremely solid with audiences, and reception seems pretty good, they're definitely doing Conjuring 4 + 3 spin offs.

Great holds for AQP2 and Cruella too. US box office is rebouding, maybe things will really back to normal sometime next year. Now we can only hope the same will happen globally.

so far, good signs of recovery overseas too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think straight-up horror is a good multiplier comparison...closer to an adventure movie that appeals to families.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Conjuring 2's 2nd weekend was in the middle of June and Annabelle was way later in the month. The best comparison is (I know not horror sequels) Brightburn (35%) and Poltergeist (29%).

• Like 1

LOL at Deadline noticing that C3 OW will be the second lowest of the franchise after Annabelle III.

Their thoughts on it? Franchise fadigue.

It's almost like they forgot we're still under a pandemic and the movie is available for free at a platform with nearly 50M subscribers.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

AQP2 is hardly a horror movie that prone to harsh drop, not to mention its PG-13 . Only supernatural horror or slasher horror are more susceptible to harsh drop. The closer comparison to AQP2 should be a monster horror flick like the Meg.