Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/4-6) | Conjuring 24M Weekend, Quiet Place 19.5, Cruella 11.24

Great start for Conjuring. 

$57.1m global now ($26.8m intl weekend).

That Mexico opening is huge: $6.7m. 

(Conjuring 2 made another $35m from the markets this one has yet to open in). 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I'm well aware both movies are doing really well, but it still feels really odd to me how Quiet Place and Conjuring went back-to-back like that. If you moved Conjuring back a couple weeks, it probably would have had a stronger opening. Quiet Place might not have that much of a better hold, but it could have still stayed above 20M. Just seems weird

One is PG-13 and the other is R. Probably easy to see why studios thought they could easily co-exist.

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

One is PG-13 and the other is R. Probably easy to see why studios thought they could easily co-exist.

Even then, there's a pretty large shared audience here. Just seems like both movies were canceled out a bit from their true potentials IMO

11 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Even then, there's a pretty large shared audience here. Just seems like both movies were canceled out a bit from their true potentials IMO

At least they have 4 horror-free weekends ahead I suppose. 

But yeh, strange to release two of the most high profile horrors of the year back to back. 

I think Halloween Kills will out-open both. 

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

At least they have 4 horror-free weekends ahead I suppose. 

But yeh, strange to release two of the most high profile horrors of the year back to back. 

I think Halloween Kills will out-open both. 

Idk about Halloween out-opening AQP. It's going to have a huge drop from the first one. I'm personally expecting 40-50M.

Yeah, the last Halloween almost entirely used nostalgia to hook in the masses. You can't really do that a second time and there doesn't seem to be much of a hook on this new one. Wouldn't be surprised if Halloween Kills did like 35M or something for its OW

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Idk about Halloween out-opening AQP. It's going to have a huge drop from the first one. I'm personally expecting 40-50M.

$40-50m would be great. $50m would still beat AQP2. 

1 minute ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Yeah, the last Halloween almost entirely used nostalgia to hook in the masses. You can't really do that a second time and there doesn't seem to be much of a hook on this new one. Wouldn't be surprised if Halloween Kills did like 35M or something for its OW

$35m would be a gigantic drop. The first was well received and Jamie Lee is back again. Plus it has October going for it, no horror for 4 weeks before it, hopefully an even better pandemic situation too. 

38 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$35m would be a gigantic drop. The first was well received and Jamie Lee is back again. Plus it has October going for it, no horror for 4 weeks before it, hopefully an even better pandemic situation too. 

50 is the high end though, the absolute ceiling for what the movie can do (assuming it's well-received, well-liked, and the marketing is (ahem) killer). 

I'll admit I don't have a strong pulse on horror fandom but Halloween 2018 just kinda feels like one of those big hits nobody talks about anymore. I can see 40M+, but above Quiet Place 2 just seems like a stretch.

13 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I don't know anybody that was a fan of that movie. I'm feeling it dropping 50% across the board. 

6 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I don't know anybody that was a fan of that movie. I'm feeling it dropping 50% across the board. 

Really?! That surprises me. 

It was certified fresh with critics and the online scores are great for a horror film, especially a slasher. 

Even it’s B+ cinemascore is like an A+ for the kind of film it is. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

The overall weekend made about 65m this week, down 61% from same week in 2019. Considering most of the area still have 50% capacity control, some cinema have permanently closed and Canada mostly closed, I would say the box office have roughly reached their potential all things consider. As long as there is no changes in capacity number, box office will start to have problem challenging their upper limit especially when more wide releases coming in and prime time showtimes being squeezed. Matinees showtime is still relatively unaffected as their still have low-mid occupancy rate.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Is there any place where I can find a yearly top 10?

I really miss the old BOM sometimes.

WW: https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-2008

Dom: https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-2008

If those do not work:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2018/

Try pausing your VPN, he seem to block people connecting via those sometime.

• Like 3