Eric is Quiet

The Exorcist: Believer | Universal/Blumhouse/Peacock | October 13, 2023 | RIP William Friedkin

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Watching Penny Dreadful rn, and between that and Oppenheimer and Black Mirror I gotta apologize - Hartnett's a legit good actor and better than a bulk of the superhero boys that get churned out every week lol. I'd rather he keep doing what he's doing though with character actor bits, he kind of excels there now that he's aged into it

I get Excel now. 

• Haha 2

Just saw. the movie. I thought it was OK, better than many critics are claiming it to be.

The first half-even three quarters are great with a slow burn. However, the ending kinda falls a part, feels too CGI heavy, etc.

Although, I'm also a Halloween Kills/Halloween Ends fan, so take that how you may lol

• Like 1

Main problem is that film seems not to have gotten that films about Exoorcism are a dime a dozen nowdays, and it was taking on the very popular "Conjuring" series. You can't depend on this being a follow up to the Exorcist to guarantee box office anymore.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

I'm an Ends truther and thought this was ok. I liked the first act and most of the third act, but the legacy stuff is really silly. I know Burstyn is above all this and doing it to raise money for other actors, but I still felt embarrassed for her.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, TMP said:

Watching Penny Dreadful rn, and between that and Oppenheimer and Black Mirror I gotta apologize - Hartnett's a legit good actor and better than a bulk of the superhero boys that get churned out every week lol. I'd rather he keep doing what he's doing though with character actor bits, he kind of excels there now that he's aged into it

Hartnett as Harvey Dent in The Batman 2, paired with Pattinson, would be a clash of the 2000s biggest film teen girl heart throbs from early and late in the decade. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm an Ends truther and thought this was ok. I liked the first act and most of the third act, but the legacy stuff is really silly. I know Burstyn is above all this and doing it to raise money for other actors, but I still felt embarrassed for her.

I thought the first hour was great, and like most of the second half. David Gordon Green over eggs the pudding though. 

I would remove all of the legacy stuff completely. This sounds harsh but I thought Burstyn was dreadful, hammy and completely phoned it in.  

The legacy stuff doesn’t work. Halloween worked because a whole generation had Halloween H20 etc, no one has been waiting 50 years to see the Mother from the Exorcist again. 

• Like 1

Deadline have done an article on the rights buyout. The article is full of errors and weird takes (Anthony wrote it lol). But: 

“As we previously mentioned, this $400M purchase by Uni for Exorcist wasn’t a scenario where three movies would be produced at $133M apiece (some rival studio executives are under the impression that that’s what the deal called for). The Exorcist deal was a broader franchise driver for Uni, which included production budgets, a buyout of talent and rights backends, producer fees, rights to leverage IP across the portfolio (theme parks/Halloween Horror Nights, experiences, branding) and also to drive viewership on Peacock. Exorcist: Believer has a 45-day theatrical window before landing on Peacock. It’s possible, though there are no definite plans on the next two Exorcist movies, that they could go theatrical day and date on Peacock.”

• Like 1

So sue me, but I liked this well enough.

I don't know maybe I'm weird but I also liked Halloween Kills and Ends. DDG style just vibes with me. I love his visual style, i love the mean streak that seems to run through his films.

Sure, end of the day this was another possession movie and we have seen dozens of them. It's not reinventing the wheel. And yeah DDG IS kind of repeating himself with them themes from Kills and Ends in this, and a sub plot with a character is also similar to Kills.

It's not perfect but it looks nice, it's well acted, it had a couple of a surprises in it and I enjoyed the possession scenes.

6/10

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, ViewerAnon said:

Tagging this to be safe but it's not an ending spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

This is so incredibly dumb and disrespectful to the original it's not hard to see how we got here. Hopefully the trilogy ends here so they can fuck off.

Edited by JustLurking

Yeah I don't feel any vitriolic hate towards this, I thought it was fine - all the worst parts involve legacy sequel nonsense. The Exorcist is my favorite movie and none of the sequels can damage it, but this movie is damaging itself by forcing Burstyn etc into it. Other than that I don't have a problem with what the movie was trying to do, the most frustration I feel is that these exact ideas weren't developed even further and that we have now missed that chance. The most baffled I've repeatedly been with the DGG horror sequels (I do like them) is just how many characters get thrown in there, they feel like setups for a Netflix shows, except they're 2 hour movies.

Since this is clearly the "normal" Exorcist legacy sequel akin to how Halloween 2018 was the normal Halloween sequel, I'm very curious where the hell DGG would take this for the rest of the trilogy. I hope they get made, and they'd probably annihilate the movie going audience forever.

Spoiler

Why did they cut the "I don't want to go to hell" line from the trailer? That's good stuff.