MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yes, it's a pretty good watch. Hilary Swank is awesome as Ellie. But you know, Nolan can't write female characters...

Not his script - that's one of the reasons I want him to direct something he didn't write.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There was a quote from him that he did rewrite that script, though not credited. There’s a lot of that in Hollywood

I'm sure that's the case. But I DO genuinely think he is very weak with female characters for the most part so I think a lot of that character is still from the original draft.

Maybe rather than directing someone's script completely, have a collaboration with someone that can help with that weakness.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm sure that's the case. But I DO genuinely think he is very weak with female characters for the most part so I think a lot of that character is still from the original draft.

Maybe rather than directing someone's script completely, have a collaboration with someone that can help with that weakness.

I want to see smaller scale from him like Memento, Insomnia, or Prestige. But he has said he won’t go that route until the studio executives force it on him. 

There's no rush for one of the few that can command big budgets for original projects to go back to smaller movies. Blank checks most of the times don't last forever, even Spielberg that dominated Hollywood for 3 decades had troubles get bigger projects off the ground after that. 

Nolan is just 52, he has decades ahead of him to go back to smaller movies eventually.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Joel M said:

There's no rush for one of the few that can command big budgets for original projects to go back to smaller movies. Blank checks most of the times don't last forever, even Spielberg that dominated Hollywood for 3 decades had troubles get bigger projects off the ground after that. 

Nolan is just 52, he has decades ahead of him to go back to smaller movies eventually.

That’s true, he’s enjoying the youth that allows him to work on more physically demanding projects. When he gets older, he will need to slow down and go with smaller projects. 

22 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I want to see smaller scale from him like Memento, Insomnia, or Prestige. But he has said he won’t go that route until the studio executives force it on him. 

Obviously it's hard to say right now, but Oppenheimer doesn't seem like it's that much grander scale than The Prestige. Maybe the epic length and the fact that it covers such an iconic person and moment in time gives it that something extra?

Hell, even Dunkirk didn't feel grand scale. I know people complained about the lack of extras on the beaches, but for me it felt like the focus was so much on the three stories that it was purposeful. And it was very much  a claustrophobic movie for me (on a small boat, in a couple of small planes, even the soldiers ended up either covering underneath a boat, then on a ship with nowhere to run as it sinks, etc). And obviously 100 million is nothing to sneeze at, but I do think they're a good middle ground between far smaller stuff and the 180-200 million budgets the Batman movies, Inception, Interstellar or Tenet would need.

Personally I am more than happy for him to go waaaaaaaaay big on his next one, but maybe get a bit of help with the script...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its possible he could make something for streaming down the line

Of course people change over time so never say never, but right now it feels like he would rather retire than go down that route if he no longer got the backing to do what he wanted on the big screen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

What Nolan has accomplished and he's just 52 is incredible. 

But yes - he is very weak with female characters sometimes. 

He showed some improvement in Interstellar but otherwise...meh. 

Cotillard in Inception was excellent as well. I liked Hathaway as Catwoman as well. That said that is not his core strength. He should make a movie where central character is a Woman. May be work with Blunt again as he tends to do. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Obviously it's hard to say right now, but Oppenheimer doesn't seem like it's that much grander scale than The Prestige. Maybe the epic length and the fact that it covers such an iconic person and moment in time gives it that something extra?

Hell, even Dunkirk didn't feel grand scale. I know people complained about the lack of extras on the beaches, but for me it felt like the focus was so much on the three stories that it was purposeful. And it was very much  a claustrophobic movie for me (on a small boat, in a couple of small planes, even the soldiers ended up either covering underneath a boat, then on a ship with nowhere to run as it sinks, etc). And obviously 100 million is nothing to sneeze at, but I do think they're a good middle ground between far smaller stuff and the 180-200 million budgets the Batman movies, Inception, Interstellar or Tenet would need.

Personally I am more than happy for him to go waaaaaaaaay big on his next one, but maybe get a bit of help with the script...

Oppenheimer is based on a 700 page book that won awards. The surviving co-author of the book said Nolan was extremely faithful to the material. So it feels to me like this current movie does have a lot of script help outside of Chris, since he relied heavily on the book. Hopefully it turns out as well as The Prestige, which was also based on a book. 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Cotillard in Inception was excellent as well. 

As the mysterious femme fatale type, backed by some strong acting. The issue is when he needs to go more in-depth with them. HOWEVER, I will say I he can go down the same route with male characters if the idea or archetype interests him more than the character (I mean, anyone in Dunkirk, the Protagonist as examples). It's just that he at least has some depth to SOME male characters so it makes the discrepancy seem more evident. I have wanted a Punic War movie from him, but I'll take a Cleopatra flick as well lol. Maybe Boudica? I would be quite curious about a Nolan epic with a female lead.

The obvious solution for Nolan is to direct a sequel to Ocean’s Eight. He would work with a female led (and almost entirely female) cast. He would also dip his toes into some comedic scenes which he has very, very little experience. He could do this while relying on his strength in creating set pieces which allow him to indulge on his penchant for capers or capers-type scenes like from The Prestige and the TDK trilogy. I think he could make it work.

As for Oppenheimer’s reviews, the film’s running time will be a massive bull’s-eye for critics to attack the pace of the film and suggest edits, for better or worse. Unless the race against the Nazis is intensified, it will be tough to maintain an engaging pace for three hours.

21 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That’s true, he’s enjoying the youth that allows him to work on more physically demanding projects. When he gets older, he will need to slow down and go with smaller projects. 

Who says that? Cameron is 68 and directing the most expensive films in the business. Scorsese is 80 and is directing a huge 200M film. Ridley Scott is 85 and he's directing huge epics like Napoleon and Gladiator 2.

If Nolan wants to keep doing huge films he can do so for as long as audiences show up for them (and for some of them clearly even longer).

• Like 1