MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

It’s internet brain - everything has to be ranked and quantified. 

The good news is he can never top The Dark Knight from a quality standpoint because that defies the laws of our universe. So we don’t have to quibble over “is this Nolan’s best”? :) 

The silver would be cool though. 

1 minute ago, LegionWrex said:

Same thing with Dunkirk for me. My only real feeling after finishing it was an insane amount of anxiety (seriously, watching that movie while suffering from undiagnosed clinical anxiety isn't exactly the best thing for your health) and the general sense of unsure what to feel about the whole affair. Came to really love it after a couple of rewatches though, LOVE how that movie plays with time - a week feels like a day, a day feels like an hour, an hour feels like a week. It's a mood piece, and I know that doesn't vibe with everyone as it's clear that it's a bit divisive here on BOT but it's one of Nolan's best for me.

Glad you brought up Insomnia as well. Great movie and massively underappreciated cause it's the only time Nolan did something he didn't write (though he did some uncredited screenplay edits). And he gets to work Al Pacino! Hilary Swank! Robin Williams! It's a bravura cast and they all bring their A-game to this. Wonderfully shot too.

Yep, similar experience for me with Dunkirk. It took a few watches for me to figure out my feelings on that one. Dunkirk is a good flick, but at this point I would move Insomnia slightly ahead of it...mainly because of Robin's performance, Pacino's performance, and the Alaska visuals. I also really miss the more understated music of David Julyan compared to the more bombastic music we have seen in Nolan's bigger budget films. 

No words exist: 
1. The Dark Knight (duh)

Top Tier:

2. The Prestige

3. Inception 

4. Memento

5. Batman Begins 

Good:

6. Insomnia 

OK:

7. The Dark Knight Rises

8. Interstellar 

9. Dunkirk

Poor: 

10. Tenet 

Haven't seen Following. 2/3 probably swap consistently, likely on which I’ve seen more recently. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Disbelief 1

37 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Reviews will settle where they settle, so not gonna bother looking too in-depth, but fuck me Grace Randolph is beyond stupid. She just comes across as thick as shit and just because she's been doing this for longer than the other youtube idiots that have cropped up recently doesn't make her any more qualified to spread her idiocy like a bad miasma. Ain't that right, Sneider?

29 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Speaking of Grace, here's her rotten review. I'm curious why she thinks it is unfair to history as no one else has made that complaint. Also, why do characters need to be likeable? Lastly, what is a good use of IMAX?

4sniGQH.jpg

Guessing that "good use of IMAX = multiple action sequences", that seems like her logic. Oppenheimer hasn't really advertised itself that way at all outside of the bomb going off, but also a lot of black & white scenes of men talking indoors. The MPA rating doesn't indicate violence, but some people can be pretty fixated on their personal notions of what a movie is going to be. And when the actual movie doesn't match those notions, their reviews won't be great.

Anyway, who goes to Grace Randolph for reviews of something outside of CBMs/wannabe franchises, and even then she managed to misunderstand Super Mario Bros. The entertaining thing will be see how she reacts in her box office videos if Oppenheimer ends up being a huge hit.

8 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Wow it seems unbelievable but maybe the people here overreacted when they were posting like "omg this fucking prick armond white 2.0 over here!!!" when he tweeted about not liking one aspect of the movie.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No words exist: 
1. The Dark Knight (duh)

Top Tier:

2. The Prestige

3. Inception 

4. Memento

5. Batman Begins 

Good:

6. Insomnia 

OK:

7. The Dark Knight Rises

8. Interstellar 

9. Dunkirk

Poor: 

10. Tenet 

Haven't seen Following. 2/3 probably swap consistently, likely on which I’ve seen more recently. 

Following is pretty solid, especially for a movie that had no budget other than the cost of the film stock (less than $30,000 I think). The actors were pretty much Nolan's amateur friends who donated their time, along with his uncle John Nolan who is a legit actor and donated his time to help make the movie. Nolan did some grunt level work (Cinematography & Editing). It's an impressive movie from the standpoint of just seeing his raw talent at a young age with very, very limited resources on the project. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Speaking of Grace, here's her rotten review. I'm curious why she thinks it is unfair to history as no one else has made that complaint. Also, why do characters need to be likeable? Lastly, what is a good use of IMAX?

4sniGQH.jpg

Having seen it, the unfair to history stuff might be because it doesn't portray the project or several characters in a directly favorable light but why would anybody expect that

Edited by Bobzaruni

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

And yet it's still a masterpiece. 

In Your opinion.

I thought it was a interesting film with great visuals, but also badly flawed.

People are entitled to their opinions but I get tired of people expressing their opinions like they are God, and their opinion settles the matter.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

In Your opinion.

I thought it was a interesting film with great visuals, but also badly flawed.

People are entitled to their opinions but I get tired of people expressing their opinions like they are God, and their opinion settles the matter.

Yeah fuck these people, everyone knows my opinion is the only one that counts anyways

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like TDKR and the more the years go by, more I appreciate Batman Begins over TDK.

TDKR has a good first half, and then blew it in the second half; way too many outragous plot holes I just could not buy.

It also lost that air or reality..it could happen..you get from the first 2 DK movies.

And  Bane's scheme could never work in the real world for a varitey of reasons, one being is that they could detect which truck had the nuke. Lead can shield radiation, cannot hide it from the detection devices they have. This was pointed out when the film opened.

How is this woman Grace Randolph even allowed on rotten tomatoes. She's not a real critic. She's a grifter. Going from one big thing to the next. Just because she has a poor quality camera, account on youtube, and a meager following on social media..I'm supposed to take her opinion on FILM seriously? This isn't a comic book movie. Her opinion means shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually I place Nolan as the frontrunner for best director now. In the post-Covid recovery, I can see Academy would lean to honour more BO hit that coming from indie or mid-budget space. A 3 hours historical drama with probably $450m WW BO in the bag is a perfect candidate for Oscar 2024.

And most importantly, Oppenheimer' screenplay this round received far less complaint from critic as compared to other Nolan's works. In fact they are widely praised. That should give Nolan a slot in best screenplay category, a vital important category before prevailing as Oscar best picture winner.

I am predicting it will come down to a duel between this and "Killers of the Flower Moon" comr award time.