MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I feel pretty confident in predicting that at this point is his career Nolan’s not going to do a remake of a 60s tv show, no matter how iconic. 

Hide contents

I reserve the right to be totally wrong about that 

His trying and not being able to crack it before is what makes me think he won't do it but who knows?

I want a western, maritime movie or a swords and sandals epic from him please. Those are movies that would allow for truly amazing IMAX cinematography.

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Every once in a while I think about how Nolan is the one guy who could bring back Master and Commander, if he wanted to.

YES! Exactly what I've been thinking. Napoleonic war era naval movie with the kind of 200 million+ budget and cast that Nolan could put together would be insane. Hell, doesn't even have to be based on Aubrey-Maturin books. Think of a Nolan Nelson/Trafalgar flick... Get Hoyte out at sea and let loose with some amazing IMAX cinematography. I get that it would be a tremendous undertaking and he could easily fall on his face, but that's also the type of movie that can win him another directing Oscar. Also, yes, it plays into the stereotypes (formal British, pretty much all-male cast etc), but may as well embrace it.

Obviously the man is going to make what he wants and more power to him. I hope he continues to deliver bangers on the biggest scale, but by God I'd love that type of movie from him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

Sadly we don't get to dictate the subject matter for directors.

Course. Which is why it's a wishlist rather than a demand lol. I'm sure whatever he makes will pique my interest, but I just have to admit there's certain things I think he could absolutely smash and I wish he would do them sooner or later.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Don’t really care what he chooses for his movies. But I will be happy if he avoids franchise projects for the rest of his career. 

unless he takes another book series rather than SH or Bond or SW or anything else. He did say multiple times that at this point he is not looking to make something "safe". He will take risks considering his heft with studio and audience. 

Some 25m away is a hefty distance for re-releases to get to. Interstellar did manage to do that, but it took a re-release in China during the pandemic to get there. I don't know if Oppenheimer is gonna lend itself to the same kind of re-releases, especially given how wide the IMAX release was, or at least, how long it was played in IMAX (and seen in IMAX) comparatively to Interstellar.

Nonetheless, 975m is an astonishing total. Nearly double the ceiling I had in my mind lol.

• Like 2

Yeah, it made way too much money in the original run in PLFs for re-releases to then bring in those numbers anytime soon. If they do a major re-release every couple years, it can eventually get there, but they can't do anymore anytime soon - certainly not before his next film is ready to go.

A proper 2 week worldwide PLF run immediately leading up to his next movie COULD get it there...

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

A proper 2 week worldwide PLF run immediately leading up to his next movie COULD get it there...

OK and how would that happen? How would a movie that's 3 years old at the time take that much space from current movies?

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

OK and how would that happen? How would a movie that's 3 years old at the time take that much space from current movies?

We have no idea what the timeline even is for his next movie. You're talking about obstacles that are impossible to imagine right now. Maybe his next movie will be a Uni-WB coproduction releasing end of Oct, and they'll lay claim to a date in the next 6 months to the slot, and discussions with IMAX will ensure a free runway leading up to it as well. Or maybe it will be another July release and no other movie will want to go through the Dead Reckoning issue of a short window in PLF, so they won't have any other big movies for a good 2+ weeks before, allowing IMAX to throw screens at Oppenheimer for a couple of screenings a day in every location. 

You make it sound like it's impossible, when the likelihood is IMAX will bend over backwards for Nolan and will find a solution if something along those lines is required. The big question will be whether Nolan or Uni (depending on whether Nolan stays with them or not) will actually want to push for a big re-release at that point.

In short - stop being contrarian for the sake of it.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 11:58 PM, eeetooki said:

Or we could always hope Russia releases it one day...LOL...

Well, I am from Moscow, and I have some news for you...

It probably made over a billion worldwide taking into account how long its been showing here

Love the forum btw, been lurking for long time

Edited by LeoDlCKaprio

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 6:20 AM, cannastop said:

Sadly we don't get to dictate the subject matter for directors.

IMHO it is a damn good thing fans don't dictate  to directors. They always want them to something just like the film they did before.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 1:58 PM, eeetooki said:

Or we could always hope Russia releases it one day...LOL...

WSon't happen until Putin is pushing up daisies.

I sincerely hope that Christopher Nolan avoids doing sequels and stays away from franchises moving forward. Batman was an important step in getting his foot in the door in the realm of blockbuster filming, but he no longer needs to confine himself to that stuff.