MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

6 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

With that Best Picture Win for Oppenheimer, how much more money do you guys think will add to the $1B-mark? Since it needs to do around $40M or so to get there, and the film hasn’t opened in Japan yet. What is the minimum or maximum gross that Oppenheimer needs to do there? 🙆🏻‍♀️🤔

I honestly still thinking that 1B is only reachable in a future re-release, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

I'm gonna be seeing TDK, Inception, Interstellar, and Dunkirk at my local Regal in April and May. But I wish they would bring Oppenheimer back to that theater. Oppy is currently playing at some AMC screens in shady locations near me. Not sure I want to take the risk of getting my car vandalized or something if I go there. Lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don't know why people still want Nolan for a Bond film so badly. That sounds kinda boring at this point. 

Let Nolan do what he wants to do.

he is always talking about wanting to do a movie based on a Dickens novel. (The final scene of Dark Knight Rises sort of shows his fondness for Dickens). Maybe now he has the muscle to get it made.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:06 PM, Issac Newton said:

Special Preview Screenings will be held in Hiroshima &Nagasaki 

At the same time, Talk Show & Q/A will also be scheduled 

Notable Personal to be Present

Hiroshima

Takashi Hiraoka - Former Mayor of Hiroshima (1991-1999)

Arthur Binard - Poet

Tatsuya Mori - Filmmaker (whose Recent film "September 1923" crowdfunded by 2,257 donors of ¥35M was a success with a box office of ¥250M)

Screenshot-2024-0313-161208.jpg

Preview Screenings were held in Hatchoza Naka Ward, Hiroshima.

Takashi Hirako said, "From the perspective of Hiroshima, the horror of nuclear weapons was not sufficiently depicted."

110 Students (From High school & University) were present at the Screening

Binard commented, "The reason why the audience is able to put themselves in Oppenheimer's position as he prepares to develop nuclear weapons is because the reality of the damage in Hiroshima and Nagasaki is omitted.''

<Student name hidden>, 17, a 2nd Year Student at <cut/> High School, said, "The images and sounds depicting atomic bomb tests made me feel scared. I realized that we have to change the reality that there are so many nuclear weapons in the world."

Toshiyuki Mimaki (81), Chairman of the Hiroshima Prefecture Atomic Bomb Victims Group Council said,

"We will work towards nuclear disarmament and nuclear non-proliferation as the ideal path for humanity in the 21st Century.''

"I think they are appealing to the necessity of nuclear weapons. This will be a big boost for those of us who want to abolish nuclear weapons."

On the other hand, he pointed out, "It's unfortunate that the damage caused by the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is not being shown.'

Edited by Issac Newton

I just read that Nolan might do The Prisoner next. My first impression was sheer excitement...but then I thought how the hell you make that in a movie? 

It was a hilarious mix of avant garde, campiness, and mystery. Nolan can for sure make the mystery but if he would try to do it more contemporary like changing Gotham City into New York, it loses a lot. Well, I would be excited and terrified to see how he pulls it off, adapting one of the all-time greatest shows.

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@Issac Newton how many screens is it getting for its OW. I am hoping it can get as many Imax as possible in large markets for a big OW. 

339 Theatres has listed "Oppenheimer". And as for the IMAX, it's releasing in all of them (i.e. 50/50)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:21 PM, von Kenni said:

I just read that Nolan might do The Prisoner next. My first impression was sheer excitement...but then I thought how the hell you make that in a movie? 

It was a hilarious mix of avant garde, campiness, and mystery. Nolan can for sure make the mystery but if he would try to do it more contemporary like changing Gotham City into New York, it loses a lot. Well, I would be excited and terrified to see how he pulls it off, adapting one of the all-time greatest shows.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

I agree it will take some really good scipting to turn "The Prisoner" into a movie.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:21 PM, von Kenni said:

Many people have tried tackling The Prisoner, both on-screen and in print and...

"Good Luck, Yer Gonna Need It."

====

The thing is, The Prisoner is such a period piece that I think it's very difficult to redo.  Sure, the themes of The Prisoner are more relevant than ever, especially in regards to elites playing each other off while changing "sides" constantly.  And the multinational critique of the mixture of politics, spying, and identify is as timely as ever though more in regards to corporations/rich assholes playing "the Game" than nations.  And social media itself is extremely Prisoner-esque in not being able to easily establish what is real and what isn't, all while being trapped in a land of funhouse mirrors.

At the same time it is very very *VERY* Sixties in its execution and it sets an almost impossible standard to compare to.

Arrival (the first story of the series) is relatively easy to adapt to modern times.  Set up is easy.  Well, easier. Middle is a little more difficult but the No 6 vs No 2 dynamic is also relatively easy to pull off.  It's going beyond that and trying to capture the spirt, the counterculture vibe, the anti-authoritarianism, the sheer quirkiness/off-kilter nature of the series which will be difficult to do in a 100 min to 150 min film.

Try squeezing down The Prisoner to thee or so episodes. While keeping up the sheer insanity of the finale of the series. I dare you.  No, I double dog dare you.  Can probably cut about 15 to 20 minutes out of Arrival, okay fine.  Can segue way relatively quickly into something covering similar to the next episode The Chimes of Big Ben (though I personally would prefer something more like Hammer Into Anvil as that, pardon the pun, hammers the philosophical/moral differences between Six and the System like few other episodes [while also noting, as Orwell did, that the hammer breaks before the anvil]) in that we have the classic No 6 vs No 2 standoff.  

Then we have the resolution where Six tries to escape The Village.  How much do you lean into the sheer WTFery of Fall Out?  Do you attempt something more standard or mainstream (for the record, I'm in the camp of... not appreciating/liking the ending of Fall Out  as I actually think it's a bit of a copout/letdown on more than a few levels) and go more for what Once Upon A Time was suggesting [which I dearly love, also for the record]).

How much do you lean into the psychedelic aspects of the series?  That is one of the things that LOST tapped into brilliantly when it drew inspiration from The Prisoner from S2 onward.  But, then again, LOST had the advantage of being a TV series so it could afford to take its time in establishing those sorts of things.  Time which a movie won't have.

I can't say Nolan doesn't have the chops to pull it off.  But... Well... "Good Luck...."

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

I should also add... I'm just generally skeptical in regards to turning TV series into movies in the first place.  They just have different strengths and what can make for a great TV series doesn't easily translate to making a great movie (and vice versa).

It can be done, yes.  But, again generally speaking, Skeptical Porthos Is Skeptical.