MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

14 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

CODA, green book and Argo are definitely part of the old-fashioned movie that will not just get Oscar attention but bigger mainstream success. The only movie I would say it would have little chance to actually wining had they released in 80s or 90s, are Moonlight, parasite and EEAO. The rest of the winner look pretty standard and “normal” Oscar winner including spotlight and birdman. Nothing unusual or revolutionary in their victory.

I can’t fathom any time and place where movies like Spotlight and Birdman really hit with the GA. They are the types of movies that have given the Oscars the modern rep that they only award movies most people don’t care about now. And it’s mostly true honestly, with the few exceptions of the ones mentioned. 

• Like 1

Birdman I can see that, but Spotlight ? All the president's men was a giant success, it was very mainstream I felt like (hyper mainstream subject, the way the story is told and so on), hard for me to imagine an adult not liking it or not caring about it if it start to play.

Edited by Barnack

Must say it's been impressive that we've gone through an awards season where a Nolan joint is by far the frontrunner and there's been no notable backlash of any kind. Feels like it's been a minute since we've had that one movie that everyone declared the Awards Season Villain (typically reserved for the frontrunners). Although I guess Maestro was the closest we had to one this year but even that dissipated once it became apparent early on it wasn't winning anything major and BCoop will remain Oscarless (how much is he working overtime right now to secure the lead role in Nolan's next movie hoping #6 will be the charm after this wins two acting Oscars).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Must say it's been impressive that we've gone through an awards season where a Nolan joint is by far the frontrunner and there's been no notable backlash of any kind. Feels like it's been a minute since we've had that one movie that everyone declared the Awards Season Villain (typically reserved for the frontrunners). Although I guess Maestro was the closest we had to one this year but even that dissipated once it became apparent early on it wasn't winning anything major and BCoop will remain Oscarless (how much is he working overtime right now to secure the lead role in Nolan's next movie hoping #6 will be the charm after this wins two acting Oscars).

I mean, the academy doesn't love Nolan that much. Most of the Oscars his movies won were technical, like sound, cinematography, editing and VFX. The only acting win was Heath Ledger I think. As a fan since The Dark Knight, I have been waiting for his BP and BD win since forever. If you visit the nolanfans forum you would know that everyone's surprised at how dominant Oppenheimer is because we are all used to disappointment lol But anyways, not a big fan of Cooper's style aside from Rocket the Racoon. Please don't cast him Papa Nolan. He would have better luck with acting nomination/win in a Scorsese movie I think lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I’m surprised how it has turned out, especially since a July release date is usually a death sentence for winning Oscars.

There are a lot of very good movies in the competition. It seems to be a case where the non-Oppy vote is chopped up across too many other movies. No consolidation for a clear #2 option. 

6 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I’m surprised how it has turned out, especially since a July release date is usually a death sentence for winning Oscars.

There are a lot of very good movies in the competition. It seems to be a case where the non-Oppy vote is chopped up across too many other movies. No consolidation for a clear #2 option. 

Everything Everywhere All at Once came out in March of its year. CODA was released in August following a Sundance debut. Sometimes a movie just connects and maintains its momentum from an early year release while none of the Q4 releases are able to rival it.

• Like 2

Special Preview Screenings will be held in Hiroshima &Nagasaki 

At the same time, Talk Show & Q/A will also be scheduled 

Notable Personal to be Present

Hiroshima

Takashi Hiraoka - Former Mayor of Hiroshima (1991-1999)

Arthur Binard - Poet

Tatsuya Mori - Filmmaker (whose Recent film "September 1923" crowdfunded by 2,257 donors of ¥35M was a success with a box office of ¥250M)

Nagasaki

Maso Tomonaga - Honorary Director of the Japanese Red Cross Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Hospital &Atomic Bomb Survivor

Kazuhiro Maeshima - Political Scientist 

• Like 1

Oppenheimer seems poised to Sweep the Oscars this Sunday. Only one of the majors it is up for I see it losing is best supporter actress. Emily Blunt was good, but I suspect the actress from Holdovers will win.

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

Oppenheimer seems poised to Sweep the Oscars this Sunday. Only one of the majors it is up for I see it losing is best supporter actress. Emily Blunt was good, but I suspect the actress from Holdovers will win.

Randolph's been sweeping this awards season, so it feels like a dead cert that she'll take home the Oscar. 

I wouldn't be too surprised to see American Fiction take Adapted Screenplay, but I don't want to say it's a lock yet; Oppenheimer might still have a shot yet. 

On 2/28/2024 at 3:00 AM, titanic2187 said:

CODA, green book and Argo are definitely part of the old-fashioned movie that will not just get Oscar attention but bigger mainstream success. The only movie I would say it would have little chance to actually wining had they released in 80s or 90s, are Moonlight, parasite and EEAO. The rest of the winner look pretty standard and “normal” Oscar winner including spotlight and birdman. Nothing unusual or revolutionary in their victory.

I really think the Oscars' "Vibe Shift" away from the 2010s "let's only let niche indies win" really happened a few years ago and CODA really would have been an example of this had it received a normal theatrical release. It clearly was a pretty much random best picture winner because it turned into a big crowd pleasing hit as voters didn't really want to give it to 2021's version of Birdman (Power of the Dog). 

It's more notable that every small film won instead of a big film not that any specific small film won. Spotlight winning over the Revenant, The Martian and Fury Road (The Martian got a sneakily large amount of Oscars love) is probably something that doesn't happen in the 1990s. Also, I think it's pretty clear the only reason green book won is that Roma was released on Netflix instead of theaters. There was a lot of love for that film that ran up against the anti-Netflix buzzsaw.

i wonder if it's a post-COVID thing that box office will start to become important again in crowning best picture winners, as the whole industry is kinda fighting for relevance rn. Even Everything Everywhere was the first indie breakout success post-COVID, which definitely went a big way to securing its win.

• Like 1

Glad this is over. I am not surprised from the moment I saw this last summer. Its so topical and in the moment and it got the required push from the studio as well during the awards season. I guess only movie that could have upset the apple cart would have been Flower Moon and that was a non event both as a movie release and got shut out today. I wonder where Nolan would go next. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Glad this is over. I am not surprised from the moment I saw this last summer. Its so topical and in the moment and it got the required push from the studio as well during the awards season. I guess only movie that could have upset the apple cart would have been Flower Moon and that was a non event both as a movie release and got shut out today. I wonder where Nolan would go next. 

Not saying he should do it.   But dam I want his Bond Movie. Sure we sort of got it with both Inception and Tenet.  Him and the guy who presented him with his Oscar tonight have both been turned down by the Broccoli's for wanting too  much control. 

5 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Not saying he should do it.   But dam I want his Bond Movie. Sure we sort of got it with both Inception and Tenet.  Him and the guy who presented him with his Oscar tonight have both been turned down by the Broccoli's for wanting too  much control. 

Tenet, Inception, and his Batman movies all have James Bond elements in them. I hope he will stay away from franchise material. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

With that Best Picture Win for Oppenheimer, how much more money do you guys think will add to the $1B-mark? Since it needs to do around $40M or so to get there, and the film hasn’t opened in Japan yet. What is the minimum or maximum gross that Oppenheimer needs to do there? 🙆🏻‍♀️🤔

I suppose I should update the title one last time.

I don't think Oppenheimer will add more than like 15m at the top end, and more realistically 10m or less.

• Like 1