MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 minute ago, rayjulio said:

wow, india seems like nolan so much. is he the most popular director there or cameron ? also how much oppenheimer can get with that much presale ?

Cameron is technically more popular but it's less because of him and more because of his movies, whereas there are people who are 'Nolan' fans rather than 'Avatar' fans in Cameron's case

Now I’m not sure how good the CinemaScore for this will be. The vast majority of people are essentially expecting a movie about The Manhattan Project - reinforced by the trailers - and not a biopic spanning 40 years of Oppenheimer’s life.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

Cameron is technically more popular but it's less because of him and more because of his movies, whereas there are people who are 'Nolan' fans rather than 'Avatar' fans in Cameron's case

Nolan has done a lot more than Cameron since he came to the scene. I don't think it's even close when it comes to popularity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Nolan has done a lot more than Cameron since he came to the scene. I don't think it's even close when it comes to popularity.

Cameron has broken the worldwide record twice with original movies and by ludicrous amounts. You're right, it's not even close.

FWIW I tend to like Nolan's films more than Cameron's but Cameron is the guy I would give any budget to for any film and not think twice about what I just did.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Now I’m not sure how good the CinemaScore for this will be. The vast majority of people are essentially expecting a movie about The Manhattan Project - reinforced by the trailers - and not a biopic spanning 40 years of Oppenheimer’s life.

If only the name were clearer.

I would like to see Nolan do something out of his comfort zone that perhaps is smaller in scale similar to what Spielberg did with The Terminal or Catch Me If You Can but I suspect comedy or light hearted is not something that in his wheelhouse.

25 minutes ago, Redolent said:

and not a biopic spanning 40 years of Oppenheimer’s life.

interesting

so its possible the time he tried to murder his university professor over academic disagreements is included 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

11 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

interesting

so its possible the time he tried to murder his university professor over academic disagreements is included 

Possible. There’s a still released of him in Cambridge University academic robes.

41 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Cameron achieved way way more in his career than Nolan. The whole PLF concept like IMAX, was something popularised by Cameron. Cameron revitalize the 3D wave in the industry and won whole tons of Oscar. Who make a better movie is very subjective but objectively Cameron achieve and contribute more in the industry. Don't forget that one Avatar movie make more money than the entire Batman trilogy. 

I think only Western countries will have barbie winning. Barbie is a white centric toy which had popularity but it is prevalent amongst white people mostly. the box office will reflect this. In America, a few more hispanics and black people will see Oppenheimer I think despite the all white cast

9 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

I think only Western countries will have barbie winning. Barbie is a white centric toy which had popularity but it is prevalent amongst white people mostly. the box office will reflect this. In America, a few more hispanics and black people will see Oppenheimer I think despite the all white cast

nah eventhough i'm much more excited for oppenheimer, i dont think this true. latam already proved that barbie there is like 10x more popular in there.

in southeast asia also barbie will probably win against oppenheimer too. in east asia i think oppenheimer is more popular also in west asia. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Rewatching Insomnia. Pretty damn good. Definitely seems underrated compared to some of Nolan’s other movies. I think I miss David Julyan’s music in Nolan’s later movies. 

As much as I respect auteurs, I think he should try directing someone else's script again at some point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Rewatching Insomnia. Pretty damn good. Definitely seems underrated compared to some of Nolan’s other movies. I think I miss David Julyan’s music in Nolan’s later movies. 

Yes, it's a pretty good watch. Hilary Swank is awesome as Ellie. But you know, Nolan can't write female characters...

Edited by The Dark Alfred