Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Dune is on track right now for a $10m+ Sunday.  

The actuals should go up significantly from the estimates.  

Oh wow. That's great. Sort of expected the actuals to go down.

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm curious why you think it will drop that much.  It's not a sequel, it didn't have a massive preview number sp I'm not sure why it would drop that high.  WOM seems to be pretty good on it so I don't see why it would drop more than 55%.  I could be wrong of course but 60% seems high.  70% is Twilight kind of stuff.

Mostly the HBO Max factor. I'd be happy to be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Starphanluke said:

Oh wow. That's great. Sort of expected the actuals to go down.

Mostly the HBO Max factor. I'd be happy to be wrong. 

Dammit.  I forgot about that.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Would someone like to explain to me why it's going to drop like a sequel with a big review number?

It’s an hbomax movie with a big chunk of gross coming from previews, I don’t know what more you want? Just look at some 2nd weekend/SS ratios for all the movies released this way.

Though I guess it will help a little being very Canada heavy — they drop better in general and don’t have max in particular. Plus reception and internal weekend behavior look solid. Could pull like a -62 or something, that would be really strong considering.

Just now, Let There Be Legion said:

Though I guess it will help a little being very Canada heavy — they drop better in general and don’t have max in particular. Plus reception and internal weekend behavior look solid. Could pull like a -62 or something, that would be really strong considering.

PLF spillover might be contributing to holds?

(if so, brutal 3rd weekend drop could be in the cards)

2 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

It’s an hbomax movie with a big chunk of gross coming from previews, I don’t know what more you want? Just look at some 2nd weekend/SS ratios for all the movies released this way.

I mentioned in a post above I forgot it was released on HBOmax.  The preview number was only 5 million, hardly significant.  But yes, the HBOmax release will mess it up for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I pretty much was where it counts.  Sorry you got it wrong.  

What was your prediction for it OW?  I haven't been here much in the last 18 months, so I don't know who predicted what.

Just now, baumer said:

What was your prediction for it OW?  I haven't been here much in the last 18 months, so I don't know who predicted what.

I have to go back and look it up. but in the immediate aftermath of The Suicide Squad when most of the board and the industry were predicting a $30m opening weekend and that every movie was going to move to 2022 I was right there predicting it was going to do great and shock the hell out of everyone.  

Pretty sure my number weeks out was $65m+

• Thanks 1

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I have to go back and look it up. but in the immediate aftermath of The Suicide Squad when most of the board and the industry were predicting a $30m opening weekend and that every movie was going to move to 2022 I was right there predicting it was going to do great and shock the hell out of everyone.  

Pretty sure my number weeks out was $65m+

I think on Twitter I said it would open to something like 40  lol.  My box office acumen is so rusty right now.

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I mentioned in a post above I forgot it was released on HBOmax.  The preview number was only 5 million, hardly significant.  But yes, the HBOmax release will mess it up for sure.

Ahh, that would certainly explains things. 5 is a significant % of 41 when most max releases have 0% from Th, still drags the expected drop down a little relative to the reference class.

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

PLF spillover might be contributing to holds?

I think this is definitely helping Sat and Sun, expect it to help weekdays too a little, unclear if it can last til next fri.   

Probably will get a big 3rd weekend drop from losing PLFs, but the 3rd weekend isn’t that important anyway.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I pretty much was where it counts.  Sorry you got it wrong.  

Dude. Do you really want me to quote the exchange where you finally gave a number, I was like “this isn’t that bullish, I think it will do way better,” and then it did in fact do way better?

Edited by Let There Be Legion
  • Like 1

So, if Sunday is 10 million+, then I guess we're looking at 41.2 million $ at least. I don't see second weekend dropping more than 55-60 % honestly. There is nothing to compete with, and apart from "Antlers", "Last Night in Soho", and expansion of "The French Dispatch", not may releases will "steal" it's audience.

So - 16-18.5 million $ should be the second weekend's numbers. 67.8 to 71 million $ 10 days total.

I predict harder third weekend drop when all the IMAX screens go to "Eternals", which, I have no doubt, will happen.

Edited by ViktorLosAngeles
  • Haha 1

Dune will have +8x multiplier, honestly, it's pretty good for a movie many think would be completely frontloaded.

Sat bump and Sun drop are also pretty good. Sadly HBO Max won't allowed this to have a great multiplier, but based on the OW and the great audience reception, i think this will hold well on second weekend, especially without competition.

It needs around only 2.4x to reach 100M, i'm betting it will get there.

• Like 5