Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Oppenheimer is a not a high-concept, action heavy typical Nolan joint. It's a bio pic of one of the most important figures of the 20th century, made by one of the most popular and influential directors in the world, who on top of it has an aura of being well overdue on Oscar recognition. 

It's the very definition of a potential Oscar frontrunner even before anyone actually saw the movie.  With the critical and popular reception it had, plus the stagerring box office results,  it's probably the biggest Oscar shoe-in since Return of the King. And I'm kinda lukewarm on both movies.

The only hurdle that would have prevented Oppenheimer from becoming a true Oscar contender was if the quality and reception weren't there

Edited by Merkel

This Oscar discussion for days now is becoming so boring.

It almost seems like the possibility of winning an Oscar would somehow validate Dune as high art, when it really shouldn’t mean this much.

This is not a shade at anyone specifically to be clear, even i entered briefly in this discussion few days ago, it’s just starting to get tiresome to enter here everyday because of the excitement around the movie and keep finding this huge discourse in the previous pages about if it can win best picture or not and why.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Oppenheimer is also a huge blockbuster, which have rarely ever won best picture. Directed by a man who has never won.

It’s rare for blockbusters to win but if the subject matter is one that the Academy likes it’s possible. (IE; war, WWII, Holocaust) it becomes easier. Schindlers List was another WWII era film that won Best Picture and was one of the highest grossing movies of the 1993.

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think people are overhyped for dune 2 in term of award prospect. Dune 2 may sweep the technical category but they will reserve core category to more personal, socially-relevant and small scale story. 

Agreed, No way the gap of a nearly a year between it's opening and Award time will not have an impact on the all important monmentum.

TO talk about a 10 Osc ar sweep this far out is just plain silly.

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Zero percent chance it wins. The Academy has a steep genre bias.

Uh, Shape of Water is Sci Fi and it won.

I think the nearly a year gap is a bigger problem unless it becomes a LOTR type phenemenon.

2 hours ago, Merkel said:

Is there any doubt that Oppenheimer will win the Oscar for Best Picture and Director? It's one of the biggest shoe-ins in the last few years. 

Of course there is al ways a chance of an upset, but the smart money is on Oppenhsimer winning.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Most depressing thing I've read in here all day because... yeah.

Sadly true. And we are seeing "The Evil Jews Conrol the Movie BUsiness" crap surfacing again.

Yes Jews are promnent in the film industry but not because of any conspiracy . It isjust the infant industry came laong at a time when it did not cost very much to start a studio, and several immigrants has made enough in other businesses to have some spart buck to take a flyer on that new fad, the movies.

Read Neil Gabler's "An Empire of their Own: Hollywood and the World the Jews Made"  for details. IMHO the best single book about the rise of the film industry.

• Like 3

The last rotten was now 79 reviews ago and the average rating hasn't even moved an inch. I can't recall a franchise blockbuster doing this well after so many reviews since The Dark Knight.

And as a longtime fan of the Herbert novles..a the least the first three, ia m getting deja vu  from 2001 where we longtiime admierers of Tolkien's books had to cope with a bunch of newbie "fans" who just saw the movies,never read the novels, and then posed an huge "Dune" fans.

One review said Dune 2 's visuals are like David Lean decided to make a Sci FI mov ie. I cannot think of higher praise for a film's visuals.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Eric Web said:

Moderation

Not the Oppenheimer/Oscars thread.

After reading the last coupe of pages, honestly had to double check that I had the right thread

Anyway, just popping in to say the reviews have confirmed the March comp I’ve had (quietly) circled for a little while now: Logan 

Expecting a similar (slightly lower) OW, but probably better legs due to far less competition, arriving at a similar domestic total 

34 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The last rotten was now 79 reviews ago and the average rating hasn't even moved an inch. I can't recall a franchise blockbuster doing this well after so many reviews since The Dark Knight.

Across the spider verse

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Melosh said:

Across the spider verse

I usually don't count animated movies for these things, but while it's close Dune still has the upper hand. The average rating was the same but Across had twice as many rottens at this point.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I usually don't count animated movies for these things, but while it's close Dune still has the upper hand. The average rating was the same but Across had twice as many rottens at this point.

Got it.Although ATSV has a metacritic score of 86.

• Like 1