Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

I'm surprised early China presales are ahead of Aquaman 2 so far. This might not have the massive drop in gross from Part One we might have expected there. 

South Korea looking great, apparently they had some early shows also on Tuesday. The audience rating from those shows was 9.2 (higher than Wonka's 9.0). Let's hope that rating sticks when it releases wide. 

I'm still optimistic about Japan I dunno why. Even $12M+ would be nice I guess. 

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But would I still uttered a single words if there wasn't a visual (including the on-screen chemistry between actors)? Probably not.

People tends to forget "A picture is worth a thousand words" has its merit, let alone a motion picture. 

Both visuals and words are equally important, that's why even silent movies have tables with dialogues, you can't convey everything through just images.

7 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Both visuals and words are equally important, that's why even silent movies have tables with dialogues, you can't convey everything through just images.

Again he's not saying movies should be mute, even if suggesting It would like to make a mute movie.

He's saying while theater is focused on the word, that's the center of the staging, and plots and characters are the center of television, cinema specificity is how you use the images and sound mixed together. That's the core of cinema as art, then other things are part of It too but they came after.

Of course he's just his idea, not universal.

I mean 2001.. anything that movie said to you about the themes Its interested about is because of how images and sounds are used. Then there are humans talking too of course. 

Edited by vale9001

My only contribution to the dialogue discourse is that it's an important part of storytelling but it's often complemented by imagery.

"We'll always have Paris." from Casablanca wouldn't be so powerful if Michael Curtiz and DP Arthur Edeson didn't shoot it in a way that made it hit as hard.

15 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Visual first, words second.

Like the opening battle scene of Saving Private Ryan, the sinking sequences in Titanic, The trinity test scene in Oppenheimer, the chasing sequences in Mad Max. Not just in action tentpoles, 2001 space odyssey, Moonlight , Roma would be totally a different things without its unique aesthetic style. Just you thought Parasite has a tight script, that movie has ton of whole lot of visual language (see that Montage scene alone) that many still didn't realise until today.

Dennis' remark probably push the doctrine to the extreme but his idea was not without merit. People just want lazy exposition and have every info feed to them in words, slowly losing capability to appreciate art.  

4 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Obviously, but the discussion was strictly about dialogue.

Uhm yeah that's what Denis is talking about, but have you read a lot of the responses to it in this thread or elsewhere? They make it seem as though he's dissing the entire concept of films having scripts.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Visual first, words second.

Like the opening battle scene of Saving Private Ryan, the sinking sequences in Titanic, The trinity test scene in Oppenheimer, the chasing sequences in Mad Max. Not just in action tentpoles, 2001 space odyssey, Moonlight , Roma would be totally a different things without its unique aesthetic style. Just you thought Parasite has a tight script, that movie has ton of whole lot of visual language (see that Montage scene alone) that many still didn't realise until today.

Dennis' remark probably push the doctrine to the extreme but his idea was not without merit. People just want lazy exposition and have every info feed to them in words, slowly losing capability to appreciate art.  

I'm not saying all movies should be talky and "show don't tell" is a good rule of course, I was just pushing against this pretentious idea that words should be completely absent in movies because "it's a visual/audio medium". I dare Denis to make a 3 hour drama where all characters are awkwardly silent the entire runtime and stare into the distance for 5 minutes, sounds so otherworldly pretentious it would have a potential to be one of the worst movies ever made.

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The "people don't remember movies for lines" thing is just demonstrably not true though.

There's a pretty fundamental part you're missing here, which is that Denis said "I don't remember movies because of a good line". He's not making some wide statement about how all moviegoers think, he's talking about himself.

• Like 1

It makes a lot of sense why someone with Villeneuve's sensibilities would say that. And I personally agree too. Was thinking about how I saw a bunch of Mike Leigh films last year, which very heavily rely on dialogue, but it's really the images from those movies that's stuck in my head (which speaks to Leigh's talent as a filmmaker). But this could just be because I'm bad at remembering dialogue (I can't remember song lyrics even if Ive listened to a song a 1000 times to save my life either).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I'm not saying all movies should be talky and "show don't tell" is a good rule of course, I was just pushing against this pretentious idea that words should be completely absent in movies because "it's a visual/audio medium". I dare Denis to make a 3 hour drama where all characters are awkwardly silent the entire runtime and stare into the distance for 5 minutes, sounds so otherworldly pretentious it would have a potential to be one of the worst movies ever made.

Ya know what’s funny, for all his dissing of television in that interview, one of the best tv episodes ever made was a mostly silent episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

There's a pretty fundamental part you're missing here, which is that Denis said "I don't remember movies because of a good line". He's not making some wide statement about how all moviegoers think, he's talking about himself.

It could be a language barrier thing too for someone like Denis whose first language isn't English (well yeah, French cinema exists too but I think he was talking in the context of international cinema connecting across borders). It's not a coincidence though that the most universally popular foreign language films like Parasite and Studio Ghibli tend to be VERY visual language heavy. Also why songs and music in different languages end up being much more popular than movies and shows that are in different languages, generally speaking.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Dune: Part Two has collected $18M in advance ticket sales ($11.5M of that from the top three circuits). Fandango counts around 200K which is just under where Jurassic World: Dominion ($145M opening) and ahead of Oppenheimer ($82.4M). Dune: Part Two‘s advance sales are also in line with Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3.

Last Sunday yielded $2M from an Imax Fans First Event which will be rolled up into Thursday’s number. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

People seem to think scripts are just lines of dialogue. My God there's so much more that goes into that artform.

William Goldman once wrote that every sucessful screenwirter in Hollywood has gotten pissed because critics praised some bits in fa movie as "Director's Touches" when they were in the screenplay..........

But yeah, this downgrading of a screenplay to a film is really, really stupid. You tell a story, you need a good screenplay.

Yes, film is a visual medium, but not in a ""Visduals are the only thing that matter" way.