LPLC

Spiderman : No Way Home - Box office thread

9 hours ago, LPLC said:
Region Countries Included

Central America Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Paraguay
Central America+ Aruba, Belize, Bolivia, Bonaire, Costa Rica, Curaçao, and Dominican Republic

Paraguay and Bolivia in Central America is so lol, this was made by a 🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shanks said:

To be frank, Titanic didn't even earn 12m USD. It released on 6th march in India.

Highest 1st Week Earner of 1998 was 'Chote Miya, Bade Miya' which earned 6.3 Crores , then 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' which earned 5.6 Crores.  KKHH was highest Grosser for that year with 10.2m USD [47  Crore Nett & 30 Crore Share]  and yes, it had earned more than Titanic. 

Titanic opened to 285k USD (~ 1 Crores) in 1st week in India and within first 5 Weeks, it had earned around 1.8m USD [~6 Crores] (I Suppose ATP for Titanic was higher than normal) https://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/26/movies/why-titanic-conquered-the-world-new-delhi.html  

It continued to run for 14 weeks and earned 3.3m USD with expansion going around.

After 30 weeks of run in India, it was at 5.07m USD. When Godzilla opened in August, it was targeting 6m in India to break Titanic's record because it had more hype in India.  

Let's say 5m USD is just Nett. but then too, the gross should not be more than $8m or $8.5m.

On Side-note: KKHH earned more than Titanic in Indonesia too.

KKHH didn't doing more than Titsnic in Indonesia,Titanic break all-time record in Indonesia.

Also South Africa,Titanic break SA all-time record either

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Titanic opened with 7 screens only and continued expanding for $12M+ final gross. KKHH did $20M.

It couldn't win any week for first 10 weeks as local movies are bigger. It could have won in later weeks but we had a super leggy film with limited release in 1994 HaHK, which has almost every week record after Week 10.

I have read about KKHH beating Titanic in Indonesia but couldn't find anything solid. Titanic did $3M when it released in 2000s there where as KKHH released in 2001.

Even South Africa I heard KKHH did more than Titanic in opening.

Titanic shatters all-time record in Indonesia and SA,Variety can find the source and exact number.

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Titanic opened with 7 screens only and continued expanding for $12M+ final gross. KKHH did $20M.

It couldn't win any week for first 10 weeks as local movies are bigger. It could have won in later weeks but we had a super leggy film with limited release in 1994 HaHK, which has almost every week record after Week 10.

I have read about KKHH beating Titanic in Indonesia but couldn't find anything solid. Titanic did $3M when it released in 2000s there where as KKHH released in 2001.

I will try to ask Dada for Titanic won which Weekend in India.

15 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

-snip- shifted to Indian BO thread.

Edited by Shanks

3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

12 March, 1998 - Titanic Garnered 203k in 11 Theatres in 5 days in India -  Don GROVES.

26th April, 1998 -  Titanic was seen by 20 Lakhs people in India. [NY Times Article]

Aug 7th, 1998 - Titanic had earned 5m USD. [Bhuvan Lal's Article.]

Sep 11, 1998 -  In India, Titanic's 38th Week it had grossed 10m USD.  Variety Article by Don GROVES. [Somehow During the release of Godzilla, within month Titanic was able to make 5m USD? But Godzilla was Highest grosser with Opening Week haul of $1m higher than Titanic]

Oct 6, 1998 -  In India 10.8m USD  Variety Article by Don GROVES.

Oct 16 - KKHH releases.

Oct 31, 1998 - India 11.6m USD  Variety Article by Don GROVES.

Somehow, Titanic still made 800k USD in 4 weeks i.e 200k/week in face of KKHH and Titanic made same as it's first five Weeks?I

Bro, What I am saying is - I don't believe that Titanic was making 200k USD late in August per week is acceptable but it could make 200k/week in face of KKHH too. Today you have your own sources so you don't accept whatever Studio's report in India. I am reporting what Newspapers/Articles said, but again, whom to believe, newspapers or something Variety's Asia-Pacific bureau chief Don Groves. I will link more days and more sources in some time if you want.

Even if I believe it or not, The fact won't change that everybody will only acknowledge titanic gross is 12m in India as reported by Fox. I am just doing it for sake curiosity.

Titanic opening Weekend in India is limit

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Doesn't matter if I believe it or not, the fact won't change that everybody will only acknowledge titanic gross is 12m in India as reported by Fox. I am just doing it for sake of curiosity.

I think you misunderstood us. We were discussing on whether Titanic had any weekend/week record in India, which I said it didn't because local films had bigger numbers. e.g. first week record back then was around $2.9M while 10th week record was $1.1M and then HAHK & DDLJ had various weeks over $1M.

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think you misunderstood us. We were discussing on whether Titanic had any weekend/week record in India, which I said it didn't because local films had bigger numbers. e.g. first week record back then was around $2.9M while 10th week record was $1.1M and then HAHK & DDLJ had various weeks over $1M.

-snip- shifted to Indian BO thread.

Edited by Shanks

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

If I said Titanic made 600k-700k USD in 27th week of release in India, you won't believe me. 

Titanic opening week was $280k and reached $5m before Opening of Godzilla in month of September. Somehow it managed to make $5m in one month taking it's cume to $10m.

Let's go ahead and assume, $5m was Titanic's Nett cume. So, it's becomes gross of $7.65m at start of September.

This also means it made $2.35m+ in face of Godzilla while Godzilla was running and made $2.25m in that month. This was Titanic's 27th to 31st Week of release in India. What we know for sure is that Godzilla made 1m (1st week), $446K (2nd week) and 276k (3rd Week) in India and was still top HLW grosser for both weeks. 

This is what I find is ridiculous.  That's where Titanic's gross don't add up.  That's why I started searching all Articles.

I  found all this because I was looking for Weekly grosses of Titanic to see if it won any.

BTW, This is Spiderman NWH thread and I don't wanna add more to this thread and more I find, more things don't add up. If someone had weekly records for India, then we would know for sure.

Maybe you can post it in India thread,I think everbody looking forward to it

Seeing Sony do everything to make Venom 2 catch up with Venom at the US box office makes me think that if NWH ends up close to Avatar (which has a very high chance of happening), they will do everything to push it above $760M (re-release in a large number of cinemas with a long version for example), if we add the $1.03B internationally that NWH can reach according to @charlie Jatinder, we will be at $1,790Bn, we just have to find $10M somewhere to reach $1.8Bn

Edited by LPLC
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LPLC said:

Seeing Sony do everything to make Venom 2 catch up with Venom at the US box office makes me think that if NWH ends up close to Avatar (which has a very high chance of happening), they will do everything to push it above $760M (re-release in a large number of cinemas with a long version for example), if we add the $1.03B internationally that NWH can reach according to @charlie Jatinder, we will be at $1,790Bn, we just have to find $10M somewhere to reach $1.8Bn

They're not going to have to push it over $760M, it's going over that on it's own. There's a good possibility it goes over $770M and could even hit $780M (will finish 2.95 - 3.03x OW). 

I'm not sure about OS, but I think $1.8B is basically a 50/50 shot at this point. 

Edited by RiddlerXXR
  • Like 2

Just now, LPLC said:

Do you think that $750M is locked with a $13M+ 6th weekend ?

Yea $750M is locked for sure and $760M is basically locked. TFA did $57.5M after it's 6th weekend, and NWH has caught up to it (will do about $14.2-14.6M this weekend vs $14.1M for TFA). NWH weekdays aren't yet as strong as TFA, but even if it "only" does 80% of TFA from here out, we get over $766M. 

• Like 1