Joyous Legion

NWH Prediction Contest/Game: DOM and Weekend Ranks. Deadline Dec 19 11:59 Pacific

Username  TwoMisfits
DOM rank 8 (I think?)
DOM gross $625,696,969

Even if OW walk ups disappoint the boards' current hopes, I just think this has this amount of audience in it at some point, since it will be around til what, The Batman? 

And I'm still in the "over the Avengers DOM" club, and I'm not gonna second guess my initial gut again on this movie...  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

NWH Prediction:

(biting lips.....)

OW : $230M-$260M

Finals : $800M-$950M

Deadline passed I guess?

It’s scheduled to close in a little over 25 hours (though I’ve been thinking on pushing the deadline for everything except wknd1 to end of Sunday — @Multiverse of XXR, thoughts?).   

We will need a specific number by then however — I could just take the average or the geomean of the range if you’d like, and then convert to the appropriate rank.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Okay, No problem!

I’m a geomean kind of guy, so this is what I’ve converted your submission to for now

Spoiler
Username  Isaac Newton
DOM rank 2nd
DOM gross 871,779,788

Username  Isaac Newton
Weekend Predicted Rank
1 4th

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what sections are still eligible for submission, but I'll just enter this and whatever counts counts and whatever doesn't can just be for fun:

I'm torn between a more "modest" $720MM and a totally go-for-broke $850MM. I think that beyond stellar word-of-mouth, the holiday corridor, and crucially, the fact that this is the first true event movie in two years is going to result in insane legs, either way. If it manages a 3x multiplier or close to it, then I think it'll naturally top out around $840-850MM but Marvel and Sony will do everything in their power it to help it just barely out-gross Endgame. On the other hand, I could just as easily see it "only" having a 2.6x and grossing ~720MM (with this kind of reception and the holiday corridor, I really just can't fathom it getting anything less than a 2.5x). Oh well, I might as well go for broke.

Username  Chrysaor
DOM rank 2
DOM gross $858,676

1 2nd ($276MM)
2 5th
3 3rd
4 3rd
5 3rd
6 4th
7 6th
8 9th
9 11th
10 22nd
11 67th
12 157th
Edited by Chrysaor
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Chrysaor said:

I'm not sure what sections are still eligible for submission, but I'll just enter this and whatever counts counts and whatever doesn't can just be for fun:

Thanks for the submission and good luck. Everything is open until Sun Pacific midnight in case you feel an urge to do any tweaking.  

FYI the 4th and 5th weekend #1 on mojo are American Sniper’s 1st and 2nd of wide release, so these would be some truly insane legs — I think your weekends add up to some 780M or so even before weekdays contribute anything. I don’t love having expansions muck things up but we need a consistent and easily referenced standard.

4 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Thanks for the submission and good luck. Everything is open until Sun Pacific midnight in case you feel an urge to do any tweaking.  

FYI the 4th and 5th weekend #1 on mojo are American Sniper’s 1st and 2nd of wide release, so these would be some truly insane legs — I think your weekends add up to some 780M or so even before weekdays contribute anything. I don’t love having expansions muck things up but we need a consistent and easily referenced standard.

Mojo having AS for 4th weekend is bullshit. That was it's first wide weekend. I mean I know it get's in on a technicality, but I don't agree with. I don't mean for purposes of this contest. I just don't agree with Mojo having that weekend up there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Mojo having AS for 4th weekend is bullshit. That was it's first wide weekend. I mean I know it get's in on a technicality, but I don't agree with. I don't mean for purposes of this contest. I just don't agree with Mojo having that weekend up there.

Yeah it’s clearly absurd. The numbers is reasonably responsive to feedback I’ve found — maybe we could get them to fix their lists with a coordinated email campaign 😂

To add to what @Product Driven Legion mentioned:

Even excluding American Sniper and assuming Avatar as the #1 on those weekends, the bare minimum of the 12 weekends above (with $276 million as the base OW) would be over $730 million. That would easily be over $1 billion domestic once weekdays are added. So definitely some adjustment needed in the weekend rankings if the prediction for the domestic total remains $858 million.

1 hour ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Yes, those were just placeholder numbers, mainly I just wanted to get my OW & DOM locked in. Hopefully, I'll have the chance to put in some actual guesses later for the subsequent weekends, but I just updated them with some slightly less ridiculous placeholders in case I don't.

I'd already seen your previous post about American Sniper counting for 4th & 5th weekend, but the reminder's a good one in case you get some latecomers who aren't already aware.

Edited by Chrysaor
  • Like 2