Eric Furiosa

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

They'd better. The way things are looking now, they're going to have another Lightyear on their hands. 

This won't have the same baggage and is coming out in a less competitive environment than Lightyear. But they definitely need to start raising more awareness of thus. Lest they continue the trend of Disney not having a successful theatrically exclusive release outside of the MCU.

39 minutes ago, Dingdong said:

It’s really weird how Disney is lacking in marketing lately. It’s like they’re not confident of this? The only good thing this has going for is the clear path for family/animated audience till the holidays.

It's almost like they're deliberately training audiences to see their brands as D+ only things. Feels that way, at least. 

Disney does a Fantastic Voyage movie.

While I have no doubt it will be good, the question is how much appeal it has to bring out families over the holidays.

Hopefully they wait until January to put this on D+ to give it the best boxoffice chance that Encanto never got. This absolutely must be exclusive to theaters over the Christmas holiday break.

Edited by Mojoguy

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney does a Fantastic Voyage movie.

While I have no doubt it will be good, the question is how much appeal it has to bring out families over the holidays.

Hopefully they wait until January to put this on D+ to give it the best boxoffice chance that Encanto never got. This absolutely must be exclusive to theaters over the Christmas holiday break.

This, I don’t think PIB will suck all the family audience during the holidays so they better let this movie stay exclusive in theatres for like 60 days or so

2 hours ago, Dingdong said:

This, I don’t think PIB will suck all the family audience during the holidays so they better let this movie stay exclusive in theatres for like 60 days or so

They'll only do that if it draws families - Lightyear didn't draw families, and didn't last in the summer, even when there was room...

It's still to be seen what the audience breakdown for this will be...

For those of you saying this is going to bomb. . . I'm just curious, but why? It's not like Disney hasn't had success with more adventure-oriented animated movies before. Big Hero 6 was exactly that, and the new trailer even promotes it as being "from the director of Big Hero 6",  so they're definitely trying to play that connection up.

Is it because the main character is gay? While that might have contributed some to Lightyear's failure, I doubt it was the only factor, or even the biggest factor. Lightyear came out the same week as Jurassic World Dominion, and Top Gun: Maverick was still going strong. Plus, it didn't have much connection to the Toy Story movies outside the name. Removing the lesbian kiss from Lightyear wouldn't have changed any of that. 

Strange World is the first new animated family movie to be released since DC Super-Pets at the end of July, and with Avatar: The Way of Water and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish not coming out until December 16th, it should have theaters more or less to itself for at least three weeks. This is in stark contrast to Treasure Planet, which came out the same weekend as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Given the lack of other family movies in Strange World's timeframe, I think a $50 million domestic opening weekend and a global gross above $300 million is doable. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

I don’t think this is gonna bomb, but might rather underperform.

Comparing these non-musical WDAS the past few years:

Wreck-It Ralph: had the hook of of these already-popular video game characters

Big Hero 6: Marvel superhero basis

Zootopia: through-the-roof reviews + Sloth trailer

at the same time, all the above movies had stellar marketing while Disney is dropping the ball in marketing this. And I don’t even know what’s up with that ugh. This is my primary concern tbh.

• Like 2