Eric Duncan

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

I’m glad they’re actually doing a LGBTQ romance for one of the main characters in this. Glad to see Disney trying to go down the right direction after years of micromanaging for their feature films.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think the LGBTQ contingent is vocal and influential enough now that they can fight for content staying in, especially once it's gotten out to the public. 

I agree with projects like Strange World, that are already done. 

But if this does as bad as I feel, with the huge amount of hate, the absurd review bomb and with Lightyear performance now...Look. No way they will change projects past writing and production stage. But going forward, already in the writing process, Disney might start cutting and sending notes back before it goes forward. And that could be already happening. 

If the "vocal" just ends up being noise with no results... I don't know...

Edited by Juan Caballo

Well, it's fortunate then that Strange World is already in post-production so it's already another "test". If it succeeds Lightyear's failure will be forgotten, or at least be more willingly - if not publicly - attributed to the quality and franchise-fatigue issues that are the real reasons it's flopping.

It's been a long road to even getting this kind of representation, and it's probably not gonna be a linear road going forward either but certainly it's not gonna all be reversed just because of one bomb.

Edited by AniNate

I don't think this film is going to set the BO on fire (I mean, the fact that the WDAS film it most resembles is Atlantis... 🤷‍♂️). Also BH6 and Raya weren't exactly cultural resets either.

If it does underperform, I'm sure the usual suspects would try to make the LGBT theme the scapegoat but I hope nobody else buys it.

• Like 2

I think we're overestimating how overt the gay themes will be, it may still be 'too much' for the worst of our culture, but at the end of the day, the family friendly romp won't be hampered by "Oh no, one of the parents is a bigot".

Tbh, depending on how they handle it, I'd love to show it to my mother, who has been slowly more accepting of LGBTQ people.

Edited by Morieris

15 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Disregarding a lot of the dog whistles here on how "ohhhh Republicans hate the gays. They're losing a market" is just blatant bigotry (sorry, but it is), if you want to look at things from a business/marketing perspective, that doesn't make a lick of sense.

This year, Gallup's US support for same-sex marriage is at 71%: https://news.gallup.com/poll/393197/same-sex-marriage-support-inches-new-high.aspx

Last year's was 70%, with 55% of Republicans polled approving same-sex marriage: https://news.gallup.com/poll/350486/record-high-support-same-sex-marriage.aspx

So frankly, capitulating to people who are anti-LGBT would alienate a majority consumer base. And sure, maybe some of the people who are fine with it think it's "too much" for children, but I think that's a very sharp minority of people who said "yes", and don't really give a damn about this culture war stuff being brought on by alt-right grifters. So don't even try with this stuff. Thank you.

Food for thought guys

Yeah, I mean, even the Lightyear stuff already seems to be fading into the background. This goes for a lot of things but people really do let the outrage du jour get to them too much. Even the few bigots who do vocally complain probably really don't care about it that much in real life, they just want some easy attention while it's a pop culture topic. They have plenty of other things to whine about to take up their time.

Fair to say this movie can write off much of Asia as part of it's audience though, but that's just gonna have to be a much longer fight.

Edited by AniNate

6 hours ago, Juan Caballo said:

I agree with projects like Strange World, that are already done. 

But if this does as bad as I feel, with the huge amount of hate, the absurd review bomb and with Lightyear performance now...Look. No way they will change projects past writing and production stage. But going forward, already in the writing process, Disney might start cutting and sending notes back before it goes forward. And that could be already happening. 

If the "vocal" just ends up being noise with no results... I don't know...

You are making a lot of assumptions about the long term impact of a movie that's been out for less than 24 hours. Especially not when it could very well explode on streaming

If word-of mouth affects it similarly to the way it seems to be affecting Lightyear, I think Wreck-it Ralph numbers (that is, somewhere between $450 and $500 million) are a reasonable expectation for this movie. It certainly doesn't look like it'll be up there in Zootopia/Moana/Frozen/Big Hero 6 territory. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

So they are releasing this in theatres the same day they’ll release Disenchanted in D+? Damn, Disney is really burying their own grave these days I guess.

They need to just stop with Disney+, it’s killing Marvel, Pixar and now it’ll kill WDAS soon.

Just now, Dingdong said:

So they are releasing this in theatres the same day they’ll release Disenchanted in D+? Damn, Disney is really burying their own grave these days I guess.

They need to just stop with Disney+, it’s killing Marvel, Pixar and now it’ll kill WDAS soon.

Hmm. Well I think of that as kind of not a big deal. One thing in theaters, a different thing on the Plus.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:24 PM, El Squibbonator said:

If word-of mouth affects it similarly to the way it seems to be affecting Lightyear, I think Wreck-it Ralph numbers (that is, somewhere between $450 and $500 million) are a reasonable expectation for this movie. It certainly doesn't look like it'll be up there in Zootopia/Moana/Frozen/Big Hero 6 territory. 

Well I don't think we can say what the general audience will think quite yet.

Lightyear reception would mean less than $300 million WW, though.