Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

14 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

Ariana DeBose the MVP. Her last few scenes at the end were simply chilling.

yeah i dunno if she's my MVP but she was good. wasn't a big fan of how they staged america in this one though. i think a lot of the changes they make to the other numbers are cool but that was the one big miss for me.

Edited by CoolioD1

It's strange to claim that audiences are less demanding than ever. If anything audiences are more demanding than ever because there are so many entertainment options available, so movies need to make a compelling case to the general public why they should allocate their limited time and resources to go watch something in theaters. Certain genres just are not worth the expense in most people's minds. Studios and chains really need to start lowering ticket prices for dramas/non IPs if they really want people to come back to them. 

Also I find all this hand wringing over WSS extremely ironic since it is literally a remake of a movie adaptation of Broadway show based on Romeo and Juliet. It's about as creatively derivative as they can possibly come no matter how technically brilliant it was made. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This isn't true. Adult/non-IP cinema is released all throughout the year and many have successes while some don't

Pre-fall adult or original films in the last few years:

Stillwater, The Help, The Butler, Green Knight, Straight Outta Compton, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Us, The Upside, Downton Abbey, Rocketman, Crazy Rich Asians, Book Club, Get Out, Dunkirk, Split, Girls Trip, Grand Budapest Hotel, Boyhood, Moonrise Kingdom, The Nice Guys... the list goes on

But how many of those get serious Oscar contention. That was my point.

Anyway, sorry to disappoint Legion. But I’m going back to playing the Sims 4. I’m building a cute little teeny house subdivision for my Marvel characters. I have not decided on who I’m gonna move in yet 🤔🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like how we all pretend Marvel is making huge bank in these days. Eternals, Black Widow and Shang-Chi did 400M WW and change and all carried a hefty 175M+ budget. Pre-pandemic these would all do 700M+ WW. We are missing the bigger picture here, people just don't wanna go back to theaters. People are more than fine just watching the Red Notices and Extractions of life in streaming until the end of days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Studios and chains really need to start lowering ticket prices for dramas/non IPs if they really want people to come back to them. 

I dunno, if they charged $5 a ticket, maybe people would think that it's a low quality product.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

I like how we all pretend Marvel is making huge bank in these days. Eternals, Black Widow and Shang-Chi did 400M WW and change and all carried a hefty 175M+ budget. Pre-pandemic these would all do 700M+ WW. We are missing the bigger picture here, people just don't wanna go back to theaters. People are more than fine just watching the Red Notices and Extractions of life in streaming until the end of days.

Almost as though there is some other marvel movie about to come out 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Is not over, and the West is doing a lot better than many places. Plus 100-200m of that 700+ from China from which all 3 were banned, BW being on PA, Eternals being rejected by audiences...now if NWH had flopped it would be worrying, but that isn't happening. 

Btw it's weird to act like streaming movies are the only form of audiovisual entertainment competing with theaters. People buzzed about Squid Game more than the Extractions of the world. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

well black widow was a prequel and five years later than it should've been and streaming, eternals and shang chi were all new characters. the next batch of marvel movies are big name sequels so let's see.

8 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

You really have disappointed me. Are we debating whether Torres should move in with Sam, Steve, and Nat, or what?

SHOCKINGLY…. Nat and Steve and Sam do not live together in this version. They lived together in my original version. But I restarted the game once I got a new Interior Detractor expansion pack. And that storyline got crazy wild, so I just went with it.

The big issue is that the Sims did not allow for polyamory. So whenever I have the three of them live together they always end up fighting with each other. That’s why I moved Peggy in. And then Peggy/Nat and Sam/Steve dated. 

But Sam and Steve are married and live on a farm in Beverly Hills with their first kid (an OC) and Teddy who they “adopted” from Wanda. 

(I made Wanda as a single mom raising Teddy, Billy, and Tommy, for the too many toddlers challenge. And then the second I finished it, I got Teddy out of there because that scenario was a complete nightmare. Poor Wanda was just so exhausted by the end of it!!!)

image.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

1 minute ago, Cap said:

SHOCKINGLY…. Nat and Steve and Sam do not live together in this version. They lived together in my original version. But I restarted the game once I got a new Interior Detractor expansion pack. And that storyline got crazy wild, so I just went with it.

The big issue is that the Sims did not allow for polyamory. So whenever I have the three of them live together they always end up fighting with each other. That’s why I moved Peggy in. And then Peggy/Nat and Sam/Steve dated. 

But Sam and Steve are married and live on a farm in Beverly Hills with their first kid (an OC) and Teddy who they “adopted” from Wanda. 

(I made Wanda as a single mom raising Teddy, Billy, and Tommy, for the too many toddlers challenge. And then the second I finished it, I got Teddy out of there because that scenario was a complete nightmare. Poor Wanda was just so exhausted by the end of it!!!)

image.jpg

That reminds me, Cap are you still working on your Steve/Sersi fic? I'm really curious to read it.

• Astonished 2

7 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

That reminds me, Cap are you still working on your Steve/Sersi fic? I'm really curious to read it.

I have it outlined, but then I got into the deep dive of the Sims. But that reminds me I should probably try and work on it because I wanted to give it as a Christmas gift! 🤡

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Blame the pandemic. At least 10 movies that wouldn't normally be in talks benefitted. 

Next year should be a decent return, though with Scorsese and another Spielberg

Both film will be box office flops, though.  People will only watch these films in streaming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

It's strange to claim that audiences are less demanding than ever. If anything audiences are more demanding than ever because there are so many entertainment options available, so movies need to make a compelling case to the general public why they should allocate their limited time and resources to go watch something in theaters. Certain genres just are not worth the expense in most people's minds. Studios and chains really need to start lowering ticket prices for dramas/non IPs if they really want people to come back to them. 

Sorta ironic that so many of the small-scale dramas/non-IP films like WSS look better on the big screen than any of the movies that supposedly demand the big-screen theater experience.

Haven't watched the new WSS yet but so many of those images from the trailer make it look like it'll be a beautiful visual treat to watch in the cinema. Meanwhile, that first minute from the new Spider-Man -- I mean, woof! Looks like a YouTube Red show.

Edited by Alpha

26 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Sorta ironic that so many of the small-scale dramas/non-IP films like WSS look better on the big screen than any of the movies that supposedly demand the big-screen theater experience.

Haven't watched the new WSS yet but so many of those images from the trailer make it look like it'll be a beautiful visual treat to watch in the cinema. Meanwhile, that first minute from the new Spider-Man -- I mean, woof! Looks like a YouTube Red show.

Issue is with corona especially you really have to convince people they need to see the movie asap.

No Way Home creates that desire in audience due to it being the first major blockbuster in a while + nostalgia factor. 

Everything else lately i am like "i can watch at home in a month or so"

Edited by Torontofan

I admit I can probably be condescending towards the superhero people (mostly because I find the idea of liking things because of "references" inane, he says condescendingly), but alot of the IP defense warriors misunderstand what we are complaining about. At least for me, I'm not expecting Holy Motors 2 or something, or for weirdo shit like Annette or Titane to get 20m OW like they never would have. I'm thinking about my favorite stretch of movies ever, from 2005 to 2007. No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Inside Man, Children of Men, History of Violence, Munich, Michael Clayton, Gone Baby Gone, American Gangster, Eastern Promises.....all solid hits of varying degrees built around being star-powered thrillers for adults that balanced awards with box office. Would any of those movies EVER get funded for theatrical release after the year we just had, with all the flops we had like Last Duel and West Side Story? I don't think so.  Maybe the one directed by Marty but that's it. This year has crippled the mid-sized "adult blockbuster", and that's what scares me. I think the more indie fare will be fine, tbh.

• Like 7