Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

FWIW even though this isn't a great opening, it's still looking to post easily the best opening for a drama during the pandemic behind House of Gucci and is also based on a popular IP (in addition to the iconic '61 movie, it's been successfully revived multiple times on Broadway - most recently as 2020 for a production that closed right after it opened due to COVID - and remains a popular play among drama clubs and so on). More proof that we really are living in an IP-driven world lmao.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW even though this isn't a great opening, it's still looking to post easily the best opening for a drama during the pandemic behind House of Gucci and is also based on a popular IP (in addition to the iconic '61 movie, it's been successfully revived multiple times on Broadway - most recently as 2020 for a production that closed right after it opened due to COVID - and remains a popular play among drama clubs and so on). More proof that we really are living in an IP-driven world lmao.

But is it a "right now" kind of release?  In a perfect world, instead of Dear Evan Hansen and West Side Story, wouldn't Come From Away have been the better choice for Fall or Xmas 2021 - modern, fresh, unadapted, and while sad to start, way more hopeful ending (aka - perfect for coming out of a dark time)?  

Kinda like Hamilton was the right choice for summer 2020...

I mean, West Side Story REALLY isn't a happy ending (at least it isn't in previous versions)...and sads aren't selling in 2021...

So, I'll go on record - wrong movie, wrong time - no more than 5x legs b/c no one is gonna want to be bummed out when life is still bumming them out...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Even with good WoM I'm not sure how good the legs will be. This is definitely not a feel-good holiday movie, not sure how many people are eager to watch a tragic love story during Christmas. 

I actually didn't consider this factor. Yeah, it probably won't hold that great. This kind of movie isn't what people are in the mood for. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But is it a "right now" kind of release?  In a perfect world, instead of Dear Evan Hansen and West Side Story, wouldn't Come From Away have been the better choice for Fall or Xmas 2021 - modern, fresh, unadapted, and while sad to start, way more hopeful ending (aka - perfect for coming out of a dark time)?  

Kinda like Hamilton was the right choice for summer 2020...

I mean, West Side Story REALLY isn't a happy ending (at least it isn't in previous versions)...and sads aren't selling in 2021...

So, I'll go on record - wrong movie, wrong time - no more than 5x legs b/c no one is gonna want to be bummed out when life is still bumming them out...

I mean, as of now, it's one of the main frontrunners for Best Picture and looking certain for a bunch of nominations. Even if it doesn't make a profit in theaters (like most movies throughout the pandemic era), it's looking to have accomplished at least some of its goals (worth mentioning that aside from Dune, it's easily going to be the highest-grossing movie of all the nominees this year).

I wonder if the Razzies will have the guts to nominate Eternals for a bunch of stuff since it's the closest the MCU has come to having their own Batman v Superman (and the overall lack of easy targets this year). Likely not in Worst Picture or Director, but perhaps nominations for Jolie or Hayek (A-listers who are no strangers to the Razzies) or a Worst Screen Combo nom for all 10 heroes (or just one for Gemma Chan and either Richard Madden or Kit Harington).

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

Even with good WoM I'm not sure how good the legs will be. This is definitely not a feel-good holiday movie, not sure how many people are eager to watch a tragic love story during Christmas. 

Honesty, I was absolutely unsure if this will underperform or do better than predicted. All between 10 and 20M seemed possible.

And one of the reasons why I finally tended to be rather optimistic was that I thought it's a feel-good movie where the figures have some trouble but the love story has an happy end. Of course it reminded me of Romeo and Juliet but I thought an American adaption would change some things. I have never seen the musical and did not want to spoil the story for me before I see this film. Not a wise decision as I notice now ;).

Edited by el sid

If you wanna get annoyed with the Oscars this year it should be when trash like Don't Look Up or underwhelming efforts like Tammy Faye or Being the Ricardos all get BP nominations while an excellent old school big budget adult drama like The Last Duel gets snubbed for inexplicable reasons.  I'd say even DUNE is a bit too dry of a slog to be nominated for BP/BD but thats not the type of nominee that one should get irritated over because only a small amount of filmmakers can get something like that made.

Nobody should be getting hung up on Marvel not getting any Oscar attention, Marvel is what it is, populist factory work.  Nothing necessarily wrong with that in of itself, but don't pretend that a bunch of highly focus group'd and market researched up the wazoo movies are high art.  A lot of those movies even have their fully CGI action scenes rendered before the cameras are rolling or even a completed script is turned in, lol, like come on, its an assembly line.  Just compare the weightless action scenes in any of those movies to the bone crushing heaviness of something like the Duel in The Last Duel, its night and day.  There was no CGI used in that, not even for the horseback jousting parts.  Its an amazing showcase of what actors + real stunts + amazing sound design can do.

This is by no means an overall defense of the Oscars though, in the last decade or so they've been veering off course into irrelevancy and given credence to a lot of questionable films IMO.  For example, you couldn't pay me money to watch a silent film like The Artist and I'd gladly watch Thor 2 or any other Marvel movie over that crap.  Hell or High Water is a much better movie than Moonlight IMO.  And Greenbook? lul.  Also, one genre that is long overdue to be recognized is science fiction.  Mad Max: Fury Road and Bladerunner 2049(not even nominated!) should've won BP in their respective years.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Oscars in February (?). WSS will be dead by then. This year no Golden Globes either. Fucking Hollywood killed another award show which gave their movies some exposure/hype. I don't understand why they did it. Morons

What's more: It's the nominations that are taking place in February.

The ceremony itself is in March.

Late March (scheduled for the 27th).

Theatrical runs will be shorted across the board...

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

That was a great holiday for legs. All of Pitch Perfect 3, Jumanji and Greatest Showman got great legs because their initial money was reduced by Last Jedi. Once TLJ started falling back due to the word of mouth, the others started doing well.

I’m not buying that as the reason for The Greatest Showman having the legs it did. At all. 

It’s the biggest home media release here in the UK of the digital era. The first to ever sell over one million downloads. Its soundtrack was number one for 28 weeks. 

No other film has matched its home media performance. 

49 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

The Oscars is so out of touch. Maybe that is why they get fewer views every year.

Meanwhile the Game Awards are outpacing the Oscars like 84 percent last year.

So much Hype for Sonic 2. You'll never get that for the Oscars.

I remember before a best picture would get so much attention, now no one cares or knows who won best pic last year. 

• Like 1