Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Studios should be making mid budget films with the stars gay and female millenials are nostalgic about. No offense to these young fabulous girls, but no one's going to a theater to see Rachel Zegler and Jodie Comer. We don't want a new Adrian Lyne erotic thriller with Ana De Armas. Who we'd really love to see starring in great movies from great directors are people like Halle Berry, Sharon Stone, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Lucy Liu, Catherine Zeta Jones, etc. Hustlers was a hit because we were rooting for JLo, House of Gucci was the only adult drama that didn't bomb this year because we're excited for Gaga. This is why the mid budget film is dying, and we rather watch Netflix. They are making a new Lindsay Lohan movie, when would the old studios ever give us that? 

They are starting to cast singers that are popular among teens/young adults. Harry Styles will be in Don't Worry Darling, Ariana Grande is on Don't Look Up and will be in Wicked, Dua Lipa will be in Argylle, and Taylor Swift in David O Rusell's next movie

Edited by Grebacio

Encanto is likely missing $100M at this point between competition/theater losses/D+ release coming up over the next two weeks. I guess we'll know how Disney feels about this performance if they decide to make Turning Red a streaming release only or something.

Not too great of a limited start for Red Rocket, but the director's previous movie (The Florida Project) didn't make anything even with some major Oscar buzz so no surprise.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Studios should be making mid budget films with the stars gay and female millenials are nostalgic about. No offense to these young fabulous girls, but no one's going to a theater to see Rachel Zegler and Jodie Comer. We don't want a new Adrian Lyne erotic thriller with Ana De Armas. Who we'd really love to see starring in great movies from great directors are people like Halle Berry, Sharon Stone, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Lucy Liu, Catherine Zeta Jones, etc. Hustlers was a hit because we were rooting for JLo, House of Gucci was the only adult drama that didn't bomb this year because we're excited for Gaga. This is why the mid budget film is dying, and we rather watch Netflix. They are making a new Lindsay Lohan movie, when would the old studios ever give us that? 

You have a point. It's also about catering to the mom demographic. My mom doesn't care about Rachel Zegler, Jodie Comer or Ana De Armas. She has no clue who they are. But she would def watch a movie with Halle, Julia or Sandra. And she has said she wants to see "the Lady Gaga movie." 

• Like 2

I don't know, continuously moaninng and insulting the general public won't make them more interested in whatever film you're salty about so i don't get this song and dance everyone does whenever stuff flops now ...? The fact that streaming services are thriving  is proof people are still watching things, it's not their fault they'd rather see those things at home than going to a theatre so the studio can feel good about large box office receipts. Keep saying it, Hollywood is dropping the ball on capitalising on that for mid budget movies and turning streaming launches into more of an event. If 2 million see your thing on HBO Max and it's a solid cultural discussion point for a couple of weeks it's still a GOOD THING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Encanto is likely missing $100M at this point between competition/theater losses/D+ release coming up over the next two weeks. I guess we'll know how Disney feels about this performance if they decide to make Turning Red a streaming release only or something.

Not too great of a limited start for Red Rocket, but the director's previous movie (The Florida Project) didn't make anything even with some major Oscar buzz so no surprise.

Turning Red - I don’t see why they would turn away potentially hundreds of millions worldwide to put it on Disney+? 

They know the PA thing is a dead duck, so there’s literally no reason for them not to let it play theatrically for a period. 

The routine of them coming out theatrically first and exclusively will have the numbers improve through next year.  

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I think Oscars 2022 will go up from Oscars 2021 by default.

Oscars 2021 ratings went UP from Oscars 2020, probably because of some goodwill built from 2020's popular wins with Parasite/Joker and also the expectation in 2021 for Chadwick to win posthumously. Unfortunately Oscars 2021 was not just super low energy but ended with Chadwick losing to Anthony Hopkins who didn't even bother turning up. Oscars 2022 ratings going down for sure.

6 minutes ago, thedast said:

I don't know, continuously moaninng and insulting the general public won't make them more interested in whatever film you're salty about so i don't get this song and dance everyone does whenever stuff flops now ...? The fact that streaming services are thriving  is proof people are still watching things, it's not their fault they'd rather see those things at home than going to a theatre so the studio can feel good about large box office receipts. Keep saying it, Hollywood is dropping the ball on capitalising on that for mid budget movies and turning streaming launches into more of an event. If 2 million see your thing on HBO Max and it's a solid cultural discussion point for a couple of weeks it's still a GOOD THING.

I agree. As a life-long fan of going to the movies, I have accepted theatres are dead to me. They're for superheroes and the 67th Star Wars spin off now. I just watch stuff on streaming. It is what it is. 

Edited by Flopped

J. lo makes a lot of movies, i don't think that movie about strippers was big only because of her or it was an event, she's an actress as much she's a singer. 

If we talk about musicals I agree making A star is born with Gaga or Beyoncè makes things very different but I don't think house of gucci is this big only because of Lady Gaga but there a lot of factors making this appealing for a certain audience. 

Edited by vale900

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If theatrical performance were the main priority for Encanto, they wouldn't have announced the shortened time window between its theatrical release and its D+ release even before the theatrical opening. Encanto was primarily a play for awards and to give a holiday bump for D+ subscribers, with theatrical run secondary. I doubt Turning Red will get affected at all (unless they delay its Disney Plus release date so that people are actually incentivised to head to theaters to watch it first).

Edited by Spidey Freak

So, what studio will be the one to offer the following "special"...

Buy a full-price ticket to the super of our making, go to any other same studio movie for $1 for a set time...

So, for example, for Sony, it would be buy Spidey and see A Journal for Jordan, Jockey and/or Parallel Mothers (I think the last 2 are getting limiteds) for $1 each on weekdays til Jan 14 2021 (or some other reasonable period)...

Rather than studios just getting theaters to block for their other movies, they should have customers "block" for their movies, too...

This introduces a form of variable pricing, patron studio loyalty, theater habit forming, and weekday/alternate product support all at the same time...and probably ultimately gets more folks in theaters for more revenue overall...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$3.1M for Eternals.

Huh. Didn't expect that. Can it get some NWH spillover over the holidays and make $10M. Is over F9 still possible. 

NWH will be like TFA, there will be no spillover. It will be every other movie just dying next weekend.

• Like 1