Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Greatest Showman’s run is incredible.

A natural and genuine word of mouth smash. 

That was a great holiday for legs. All of Pitch Perfect 3, Jumanji and Greatest Showman got great legs because their initial money was reduced by Last Jedi. Once TLJ started falling back due to the word of mouth, the others started doing well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$10M+ is definitely happening when previews made up less than 20% of the opening day, indicating zero signs of frontloading, so that feels off. The theater I'm seeing it at later today is doing better (much better, in the case of the afternoon) than yesterday across every show so it should at least equal In the Heights, especially when it's aimed at demographics (the AARP crowd and to an extent families) that are more likely to show up on Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 2

The movie earned an A CinemaScore from audiences, while the largest quadrant were ticket buyers over the age of 55 (26 percent). More than half of the audience was over the age of 35.

The overall marketing campaign has positioned the film as an event pic and love story instead of a musical, in hopes of attracting younger consumers who are so far fueling the box office recovery.

Box Office: Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Debuts to $10M-Plus – The Hollywood Reporter

Also National Champions did $120K from nearly 1,200 theaters. Expected for a movie no one heard of.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Box Office: Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Debuts to $10M-Plus – The Hollywood Reporter

Also National Champions did $120K from nearly 1,200 theaters. Expected for a movie no one heard of.

It did draw in its desired age demo (although still no gender or diversity breakdown)...but there aren't enough people in the demo to actually want to show up still...

"The movie (WSS) earned an A CinemaScore from audiences, while the largest quadrant were ticket buyers over the age of 55 (26 percent). More than half of the audience was over the age of 35."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It did draw in its desired age demo (although still no gender or diversity breakdown)...but there aren't enough people in the demo to actually want to show up still...

That usually comes at the end of the weekend, as does the breakdown as to where it's doing best (one has to imagine NYC is the biggest market by a very wide margin).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

WSS opening below ITH while not being available in any streaming service is mindblowing to me.

I mean pre Covid, I thought ITH would easily outgross WSS, but that’s another story.

• Like 2

Let’s not forget that War Horse opened to ~7M then had a 10-11x multiplier over Xmas.

There’s also relatively little overlap between WSS and NWH’s crowds. WSS could also benefit from spillover from sold out spiderman shows.

• Like 2

WSS is not surprising i feel like. The buzz just hasn't been there from the get-go. Every trailer release made little noise and the Ansel drama didn't help. Others have said they don't know this movie was for. True too. But really no one asked for this. And I don't get the Marvel shade because this is LITERALLY a remake of a popular film. 

Yes, one could argue younger crowds don't care for musicals but I think the bigger problem is the younger crowds don't care for musicals with people they don't care about, which has been the case with DEH and ITH. I see younger folks getting excited about Timothee or Florence Pugh or Tom H  or Greta being attached to  a musical but none of them care for Ansel. It's a semi-dead genre and I think Hollywood has been taking the wrong approach to reviving interest. Forget remakes and broadway shows with no crossover audience, stop trying to entice older millenials and boomers look at maybe a light hearted romance (everyone's being crying about the death of theatrical romcoms after all) with young leads (under 30), a more futuristic or whimsical twist to appeal to those that need that extra spectacle.

Remakes are more miss than hit I don't know why we're doing this to ourselves still. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Let’s not forget that War Horse opened to ~7M then had a 10-11x multiplier over Xmas.

There’s also relatively little overlap between WSS and NWH’s crowds. WSS could also benefit from spillover from sold out spiderman shows.

They should have released it on Christmas day like that movie.

If fox was indipendent from Disney I'm sure this movie would have released around the 20- 25th december like Fox did with The greatest showman again star wars.

But you know ... Spider Man come first. 

You all are talking about the legs on this on holidays comparing with war horse or the greatest showman but they were realeased on christmas day or near to Christmas.

With a start like this it's more difficult to have holiday increases after two entire flat weeks. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It's likely gonna drop around 50% next weekend not only because of Spider-Man but because it's losing all IMAX/PLF theaters but from there it should be good in terms of staying power over the extended holiday period when people have more time for a 2.5 hour musical, especially with little competition for the prestige audience and of course Oscar buzz coming up (especially if it ends up being the frontrunner for Best Picture, which is possible). As I said earlier this doesn't open to more than $15M even in its original week-before-Christmas December 2020 spot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vale900 said:

They should have released it on Christmas day like that movie.

If fox was indipendent from Disney I'm sure this movie would have released around the 20- 25th december like Fox did with The greatest showman again star wars.

But you know ... Spider Man come first. 

You all are talking about the legs on this on holidays comparing with war horse or the greatest showman but they were realeased on christmas day or near to Christmas.

With a start like this it's more difficult to have holiday increases after two entire flat weeks. 

Also the movie opening scale is too wide for any further expansion. Should have try near 2000 theaters first like Lincoln 2012.  

• Like 1