Eric S'ennui

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I went to extreme lengths to avoid spoilers, and we in the U.K. got it before anybody! 

I even muted about fifty key words on Twitter so no mention of it could appear in my timeline. Have done the same for Matrix. 

I need Twitter for my work so can’t avoid it, but the lengths I had to go to were insane. 

As movie fans we've all read the rumors and heard who might or might not be in it, but as many others have mentioned this thread should be strictly about the numbers. I don't mean to pull the "I've been here longer than most of you" card but when the forum started at box office mojo back in 2001, it's always been that the weekend numbers thread never has spoilers in it and I don't care if Sony told us that so-and-so is going to be in the movie, there are still people like me who have gone out of their way to not read press releases not watch entertainment shows and have strictly wanted to go into the movie not knowing anything and we should still be afforded that right in my opinion. A weekend thread should never ever EVER have anything but the box office being discussed.

I realize that I am a moderator in name only as of right now. I'm not nearly as active as I once was but I still think my voice does carry a little bit of weight around here as one of the veteran members and in my opinion I believe going forward that a weekend thread should never be anything but the box office and that's it. As others have mentioned there is a spoiler thread where spoilers can be discussed and also when you go to the review section you can discuss spoilers to your hearts content. This thread should never have spoilers in it and I'm very disappointed in the box office forums community including our staff members who have allowed this. It's just it goes against the spirit of movie going itself.

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I agree but then you have kids in your thrities and think 'christ this is exhausting, I wish I'd done this years ago.'

So basically, the moral here is no kids!!!

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You say this, but movie wouldn't be missing $300 mil OW if they got an actual director. Like, if Sam Raimi directed this? Easy $1 bil DOM gross.

I am pretty sure I won't nearly like it much but the reception of film is probably literally the optimum.

As for Sam Raimi, not a fan of original trilogy (I may start to rewatch it now), he has probably ruined Dr Strange 2 and Marvel is now fixing it 👀

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

43 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

This should at least help you understand why everyone was predicting big numbers for this, lol.  Just like I now know you thought it was a 'regular' sequel.

Right, but I haven't been paying attention to movies for 18 months. I don't regret making that prediction I just didn't think it was going to blow up to basically double the size of a last Spider-Man movie. It's not my first horrible prediction and it certainly won't be my last LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am pretty sure I won't nearly like it much but the reception of film is probably literally the optimum.

As for Sam Raimi, not a fan of original trilogy (I may start to rewatch it now), he has probably ruined Dr Strange 2 and Marvel is now fixing it 👀

oh oh. No. See ***this*** is the shit that’s gonna get us to 100 pages :rofl:

• Haha 1

@CoolioD1 you've been around these forums for almost as long as I have. And yet you disagree with how I feel? So you're okay with posting spoilers and you think that's totally fine? Kind of surprises me you feel that way.

@baumer We’re already banned two people this weekend for spoilers. We are not allowing plot points into the weekend thread.

It would’ve been absolutely impossible to stop Tobey & Andrew from leaking into this thread.  It was in all the reviews, all over twitter, and frankly what most people want to talk about. Moreover, we’ve allowed Tobey & Andrew talk in the NWH thread for at least a month.

Again, the disagreement here is over what exactly is or isn't a spoiler, not spoilers suddenly being okay. And this movie was a very unusual circumstance.   

It is still not okay for me to mention that Paste Pot Pete elopes with Ned and Betty.

• Like 1

Rewatched the first Raimi film and much of the second on the plane yesterday. First one holds up better than I remember, just a well told classic story, and honestly I think many of the issues I remembered in it were more from the second. Second one is still kinda flawed for me but still good.

Haven’t seen the movie yet but so looking forward to it! Amazed the box office has gotten this high, definitely didn’t expect it. Still trying to stay away from most spoilers and it seems most actors are getting great reviews but I’m surprised I haven’t heard much about Benedict.

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

@CoolioD1 you've been around these forums for almost as long as I have. And yet you disagree with how I feel? So you're okay with posting spoilers and you think that's totally fine? Kind of surprises me you feel that way.

I think you're misremembering how strict the weekend threads have always been. and people melting down and being like "we should just talk about numbers and nothing else!!" a few years ago (i think this was during another big marvel release but i can't remember) is what killed a lot of the energy in this forum and probably why most of the fun posters left. the weekend threads especially during the big releases used to have a party atmosphere but that died because of people freaking out anytime the discussion veered slightly off the numbers. so i'm more reacting to that element of saying the weekend threads should be stricter about that. you'll just kill the vibe (even more). as for spoilers i don't care. i don't think "x actor is in the movie" counts as a spoiler at all, from my perspective.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cap said:

@baumer We’re already banned two people this weekend for spoilers. We are not allowing plot points into the weekend thread.

It would’ve been absolutely impossible to stop Tobey & Andrew from leaking into this thread.  It was in all the reviews, all over twitter, and frankly what most people want to talk about. Moreover, we’ve allowed Tobey & Andrew talk in the NWH thread for at least a month.

Yeah I know that those kinds of spoilers were allowed because I finally read the original post. I still disagree with it and I know it's just my opinion which doesn't really carry that much weight but this thread should always be about the numbers and nothing else. For example I specifically did not read anything to do with spoilers because I wanted to go into the movie knowing nothing. Yes we've all read the rumors there's press releases Sony's released stuff officially but there's still people that don't want to read that stuff. I just feel that nobody would have ever wanted to go into The Empire strikes back knowing that Darth Vader was Luke's father and I think if there was a forums back in 1980 people would agree with me. So I'm just saying in my opinion this thread should be spoiler free absolutely unequivocally. But again that's just my opinion I don't run this site and I'm certainly not an active moderator the way I used to be.

Just got out of my second viewing. This movie is absolutely incredible. I had pretty big expectations and it actually managed to live up to every single one of them. Everything that would make for a fantastic Spider-Man story is here. All three Spider-Men, five iconic baddies, and a logical reason for all of them to be there. Rise of Skywalker, this thankfully isn't. One of, if not the best usage of nostalgia I've ever seen in a film yet. Couldn't have asked for a better 60th anniversary gift for Spidey!

• Like 3

Just now, baumer said:

I just feel that nobody would have ever wanted to go into The Empire strikes back knowing that Darth Vader was Luke's father and I think if there was a forums back in 1980 people would agree with me.

That's not an equivalency at all. No one is discussing the plot points involving T&A and if they are they're being removed. 

• Like 6